Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 112 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #1666
Sponsor: JET DV

#1) depends on what you are wanting to do. When I am printing to tape, I render as DV-AVI. When I'm making a DVD, I render to MPEG2. When making something for the web, WMV. It all depends on your current task which you haven't defined here.

#2) I have left these at the default settings

#3) Unless you're doing photo montages or something using very hi-res images with scaling, you don't need "Best" - stick with "Good".
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #1667
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help....
David
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1668
Major Player

excellent - I'll give them a call.

Milt
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #1669
Regular Crew

I am doing various projects in Vegas right now, one being a wedding, but everything I do goes to DVD, not the web or back to tape, and I want the best quality.

Thanks for the response Edward - still curious about the codec to use out of the MANY in the Vegas dropdown box. I guess since Cinepak is first, maybe it's best??
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #1670

If you are going to DVD, you want to create MPEG2 files - NOT AVI. Even if I were creating an AVI file I'd use the standard NTSC-DV (assuming US standards).

Go to File - Render As. As the "Save As type", pick MPEG2. Under the presets, choose one of the DVD Architect settings and then go to custom and don't change anything except the average bitrate. This needs to be modified to match the length of your video.

I have how to create a DVD written up in one of the issues of my newsletter (I think Vol 1 #7 without looking to verify). Just click on the link under my name.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1671
Regular Crew

Using DivX Files

I have a DivX file with an avi extension that plays just fine with the DivX player, but when I bring it into Vegas, the video is about a quarter as long as the audio track and there is no audio. It is just a straight line. Any suggestions?

MITCH
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #1672
Inner Circle

Try converting it. Someone on the Sony forum suggested virtualdub. Use a lossless codec like huffyuv, or use DV.

RAD video tools converting it to uncompressed AVI worked for me, but I suspect virtualdub works better.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #1673
Regular Crew

Version 6.0a worked fine on one computer but the media manager would crash continually on the second computer.

After I installed version B both crash on startup. anybody know why?
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #1674
Inner Circle

do u have acid5 installed??
also have u ever installed acid5??

im also gettin this problem and its a known issue..

heres some feedback from sony

Im still investigating the issue from this end, hopefully theyll find a workaround..

"Some of you have reported having stability issues with the Media Manager
active. If this is you, it is recommended that you completely uninstall
Vegas 6, all versions of the Sony Media Manager, and, if present ACID
Pro 5, and then reinstall ACID Pro 5 (current version on our website)
and this, build #110 (or any later build) of Vegas 6. This should ensure
that no beta or mismatched shared Media Manager components are residing
on your system.
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #1675
Inner Circle

i actaully use Main concept Main Actor 5.2 if i need it as DV, or if i jsut want to convert it, i use ManConcepts mpg converter
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #1676
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter. I did everything you said and it did work.......sort of........Acid worked fine after the reinstall. Vegas sort of works better. it doesnt freeze when I open up small veg files but still freezes on the bigger veg files.

small file is about 16kb and big is considered 68kb.

so there is still something wrong; however, i did find that if i unselect the "automatically open up last project" option in the preferences window then Vegas starts up a lot better.

I feel like throwing the system out the window. hehe.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #1677
Major Player

Brandon,
As Edward has said, if you are going to DVD output, render to DVD compliant mpeg2. This means you won't have to rerender and thus lose quality. The only time you shouldn't is if you render to an uncompressed file for compression in a third party compressor (Cinema Craft Encoder, etc).
I only ever use two codecs in Vegas: Mpeg2 for DVD, AVI-PAL for print to tape. Oh, also AC3 and WAV audio.

About deinterlacing, if you require it, visit http://mikecrash.wz.cz/. He has written a vegas filter based on the Smart Deinterlacer for virtualdub you can try.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #1678
Regular Crew

I thought Vegas 6.0 could recognize the nonsync'ed audio by turning the clip ink..of course only with an original file ? Or is it only for AVI ?
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #1679

Vegas 6 will do that if the two pieces are moved out of sync. However, it the playback STARTS out of sync, there's no way for Vegas to know.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1680
New Boot

DivX vs. 3ivX

hello,
does anybody have experience with the settings in Divx and 3ivx to make this both codecks working well? I realized problems in Vegas, when there are instaled this codecks.... rendering is so much slower, sometimes the result is not smooth...

thx.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...