Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 117 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #1741
Regular Crew

Once you ungroup the audio and video, I believe that you must "regroup" them before they will stay together again.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #1742
Sponsor: JET DV

WHERE are you seeing this? The computer screen? or the external monitor? The two WILL look different. Use External Preview and see how it looks.
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #1743

If you simply turn on Ignore Event Grouping, move an event, then turn off Ignore Event Grouping, then the two events will continue to move together. If you do some other things while Ignore Event Grouping is on, they can become separate. For example, splitting the event can cause that to happen.
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #1744
Regular Crew

Hi

I am seeing this on the external preview monitor, set to output through firewire->CAM->JVC Monitor (TV Monitor). What I always do is use a frame buffer so I can see what the final output would look like. i.e. I will be outputting back to a DV Tape. I think it may be something to do with blacks. If I apply the Blacks filter (can't remember the name) and raise them (7.5IRE), it looks more or less like the original (when viewed from combustions firewire framebuffer).

Also I notice (again through the preview monitor arrangement above), that when paused, the clip stutters when on a frame with movement (classic interlace stutter). This doesn't happen with other software I have for the same clips (i.e. combustion). Is there a way to configure Vegas not to do this ? Source material I am using is all DV PAL Lower Field First.

Thanks
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #1745
Regular Crew

Allright, I understand. Thanks guys!
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1746

If that's the case then it could be a matter of HOW the clips were captured vs how the Sony Codec is decoding them. Capture with Vegas and see if you see the same thing. Otherwise, you *could* try setting the preferences to use the Microsoft Codec. I don't recommend using the Microsoft Codec as the Sony codec is superior. Test using files captured with Vegas instead.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1747
Regular Crew

I have not had a lot of time to test for background problems related to the freezing issue, but we have successfully rendered of a 45-minute video production using Vegas 6. The results were honestly amazing. Several of our production members are Full Sail film students and graduates, and even they were impressed. It is reassuring that people with tons of professional gear at their disposal would see Vegas 6 as an excellent product.

A side note: Magic Bullet adds an excellent look, but what's up with the crazy render times? It took 12 hours to render a 45-minute video.
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1748
Inner Circle

Dear Brad,

Some stuttering is normal with the preview.

If you render your timeline, and then preview it, there should be less stuttering. I just ignore the stuttering while I am editing as my experience is that it does not affect the final product.

I have a Sony Vaio, with 3.4 ghz cpu with hyperthreading, and the stutterning is still present, but minimal. I believe it depends on what processing has to be done to show your timeline.

The stuttering on my system is not too distracting. It would be an issue if I didn't know that the final render is going to be ok.

As a test, if you have a lot of processing going on, you could mute some of the audio tracks, or bypass the FX, or eliminate the cropping, or audio envelopes, just to see the differences in the stuttering. Just save your project first and do not save the project after you run the test.

The amount of processing that has to take place in order to meet our needs is immense. It is reasonable for the current levels of computing power to fall short at times.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1749
Old Boot

Relax your Preview Window: . . . Ommmmmm . . .

Try this:

1/ Undock th Preview Wndow

2/ Double click an empty sapce on the Preview Tool bar - this does what I call "relaxing" the Preview window. It will attain its natural Preview ratio - now try it with a video playing. I often get to 25fps - PAL-land here - this way!

3/- Now Double click again and the Preview Window will go to its smaller "relaxed" ratio

Any good?

I showed this to an HD colleaue, and he couldn't believe the improvement it afforded his previewing of his HD footage.

I kinda giggled!

Grazie
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Higerd
A side note: Magic Bullet adds an excellent look, but what's up with the crazy render times? It took 12 hours to render a 45-minute video.
Magic Bullet is notoriously slow when it comes to rendering. That's why many people duplicate the looks using standard Vegas effects or other tools such as Zenote.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1751
Regular Crew

Not stuttering, but freezing — with nothing but a reboot as a solution.

With that noted, it hasn't happened for several days. I'm not sure why it ever did, but maybe, just maybe, it's never going to happen again.

As far as the long renders with Magic Bullet — I can handle the time away from my video editor. I've just learned not to apply the effect until the very end of the editing process. The time required to try to create a similar look is just not worth it to me. I really like the Bistro look on the footage we shoot on the coast of Maine last summer.

Thanks all, and I will update this thread if Sony comes back with any interesting revelations.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1752
Major Player

Deinterlace to 30p

Can anyone give me the proper settings and workflow to get a CRISP deinterlace to 30p in Vegas 6. I have been doing what I thought would deinterlace, and it ends up worse than muddy. It ends up with artifacts all over the place.

I feel like there should just be a simple plugin or option in the FX menu to just "deinterlace" but alas...

I think one of three lower field/progressive settings is off. 1)The project properties 2) the render properties 3) the clip properties.

The multiple properties are driving me nuts. What takes precedence?

Thanks,

DJ
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #1753
Inner Circle

There are a few ways:
A- http://mikecrash.wz.cz/vegas/vegas.htm
Better quality than Vegas, although not necessarily faster.

B- In Vegas;
Go to file --> project properties something like that
set de-interlace mode to blend fields. Interpolate field always works, and does something different.

Hit ok.

Right click a clip... in a submenu, there is a setting for reduce interlace flicker.

2- DV is lower field first. (assuming target format is DV) Use the canned presets for project properties and render properties. In clip properties, select the appropriate setting. If the source footage is DV, use lower field first. DV is also interlaced, so tell Vegas it's interlaced.

3- What kind of artifacts are you seeing?
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1754
Major Player

Artifacts: Maybe not properly artifacts. But here are the symptoms.

ALL OF THIS IS WHEN I RENDER FROM WIDESCREEN DV TO 4:3 DV W/LETTERBOXING...

An unwatchable jitter (jutter?) It is alternating between one field and the other. It can even be seen on the letterbox. It is bad.

No matter what I do, even "blend" fields, it looks, at best, like I've "interpolated" fields with steps on every angle.

On tiny details, like eyes at a distance, or small text in the frame, when they move, artifacts--horizontal distortions--appear around them.

IN CLOSING:

The only settings I can choose that make it look good again leave it looking fully video-ey. Fully interlaced, in other words.

I just don't get it. I looked at that great trailer done with a GL2 at this thread ( http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=40437 ) and it was done by deinterlacing 60i footage. It is crisp and filmic. Mine just looks like a siezure.
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1755
New Boot

captions/text balloons in vegas?

Hi folks, just got a q about how to create captions or comic style text in a balloon in vegas, media generator has few text options but not the one im after, would i have to create it in 3rd party software or is it possible to create in vegas?

Cheers
Adrian
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...