Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1786
Regular Crew

Damn... oh well..... Cool... thanks!
-Paul
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1787
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes it does.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1788

Just looked it up. It's in: Vol 2 #10 - December 2004
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1789
New Boot

Hey Edward,
Thanks for your response. I did try installing and uninstalling vegas. I still ahve the same trouble. I downloaded a codec package called FFdShow. Have other codecs known to cause problems in vegas? I just dont know how to fix this problem.
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #1790
Inner Circle

Figured something out about Mike Crash's smart de-interlace filter:

You have to set project properties to:
Progressive, not lower or upper field first. If you don't do this, the filter will only have access to each field and it won't work with default presets.

De-interlace mode has to be set to None. Otherwise, Vegas' de-interlace method will be used. Which defeats the point of everything, since you want to be using Mike's filter.

2- In the FX window, there are little triangles in the bottom left beside filter names. They determine whether the filter is applied before or after pan/crop. I would assign the de-interlace filter to go before, so click on the triangle once.
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1791
Regular Crew

If you use external monitor you see

1.In an operating time with envelopes - is cuttin, splitting, panning, adjustmenting effects, etc... - previewing will be in two monitor windows
2. During preview - only on the external monitor
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #1792

You may wish to call tech support and see if there's a known solution or they can find one. This is not a problem I have heard of.
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1793
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kali
I still ahve the same trouble. I downloaded a codec package called FFdShow...
NEVER INSTALL ANY CODECS and CODEC-PACKS if you d'nt understand what is this codec and as it works
Codec packs is ONE BIG TROUBLE fnd dont debugged PROBLEM to all NLE Computers.

Next - your problem its problem in you Vegas Software - if you dont understand where is the problem - try install another mp3 codec (for example - Lame)

*FFdShow its not a codec - its DirectShow filter for viewing DivX/XviD video files

Sorry for my English

Last edited by Newdjeen Klime; June 9th, 2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #1794
Trustee

Dj

Here's what I do:

Edit the movie. When you click "Render as" go to the "custom settings" tab. Then click the "video" tab then click "progressive scan". That's the way I do it. It always looks good.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #1795
New Boot

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~zurri/Misc/...enshot%201.JPG

That is a link to a screenshot of my vegas mp3 problem. The max i can get is
as you can see 56kbit @ 24hz

i will try and use lame..and report back
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #1796
Regular Crew

Paul, I have looked your snapshot...
Its All right and you do not have any problems
Before you renderig mp3 audio only (or another (non *avi) video format)
Now you want render video with a soundtrack, but a sound parameters its one, and a video (video for window (*avi))+audio its others - so it in the program preferences, options and ets (name this as you want ;-) - this is International ISO Standarts (For example - in professional MPEG-4 *avi video you never see VBR *mp3 audio)

If you want to keep a sound in *mp3 with one higher bitrate:
1 use external *mp3 codecs
2 save (render) a video & audio separately, and then simply "stick" them in a VirtualDub by use "Direct streem Copy"

Last edited by Newdjeen Klime; June 9th, 2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1797
Major Player

I did some tests a while ago with MC's filter to compare to vegas's 'reduce interlace flicker' - it was heaps sharper in most areas.

IIRC I captured as normal, left the clip properties as interlaced LFF. Project set to none (progressive) and rendered to progressive.

I am looking for a run down on the settings withing the filter too. I'll send Mike an email..

BTW I just noticed Mike has updated the filter as of the 9 june.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #1798
Major Player

If you are using this monitor to colour correct, I hope your svhs o/p from video card is better than mine - it's contrast and brightness are all over the place, I wouldn't trust in 1/24th as far as I could throw it :)

I always connect a tv via firewire (through my camera) for final colour correction, brightness, contrast, etc.

Cheers
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #1799
Regular Crew

PIXEL ASPECT RATIO in Vegas w/ DVX100 letterbox project

Okay, I can't believe I'm the only one who has noticed this

I've got a DVX100 Letterbox project, shot in 24AP

I monitor with an external 20" Sony Wega, brand new.

It chops of the right and left edges of the image maybe 5% on each side when editing. Its the same on any TV or monitor.

I looked at the properties-- set to NTSC DV24p, just like the whitepaper says to, since this is not really widescreen, but letterboxed by the DVX, and follows the production workflow in the Vegas Whitepaper for the DVX100 projects.

I first noticed that the PREVIEW window in Vegas is DISTORTED-- smashed down, rather than exactly perfect ration- the whole image is there, but its squished.

Further, my EXTERNAL PREVIEW MONITOR clearly has chopped off the right and left image edges. !!

The ONLY CURE is to go into the PROPERTIES box and in PIXEL ASPECT RATIO reselect SQUARE PIXEL instead of the default NTSC DV .9091 which is what is selected according to the Sony Vegas Whitepaper for DVX projects.

This restores the missing portions of the video image edges on my monitor and also puts my Vegas preview window in a correct unsquished state.

?????????? How could they get this wrong in the whitepaper recommendations?

THEN-- when I render the file for DVD Architect, I have to do the same thing-- as when I select the suggested default Mainconcept MPEG-2 file, if I leave it as default-- I get the same chopped off edges in my rendered file and subsequent DVD. If I modify the suggested default settings and again choose Custom/Video/Pixel Aspect Ratio and select SQUARE-- my DVD comes out with the correct whole picture showing instead of the edges missing.

If I don't render with square pixels, the resultant MPEG file and subsequent burned DVD is flattened, and once again the edges are missing.

SO what gives? How come no one is talking about this? The one note I've found in regard to this in the Vegas manual says square pixels should not be used for stuff ending up on TV, but its the ONLY way to get the image to look right in both external monitor preivew and rendered and burned DVDs

????????

Neil Slade
www.NeilSlade.com
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1800

I agree.... your snapshot is of the AVI renderers. You're not looking at the MP3 file type. Change the "Save As Type" to MP3 and see what presets you have available.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...