Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 15th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #181
Inner Circle

More performance tests- Dual Channel versus Single Channel

Short story:
A- Always get RAM in dual channel if on Penitum platform (865/875 chipsets or newer 9xx chipsets). Purchase and install RAM in pairs of the exact same model. You do not need to buy RAM specifically labelled dual channel.
B- The improvement from single channel to dual channel is a few percent (~4%).

Long story:

Testing methods:
Use rendertest.veg, best quality. Rendertest there's lots of data for, so that's why I chose it.

Pentium 2.6C, stock speed
Intel 865 chipset, Asus P4P800 motherboard

With a single stick of PMI 512MB (CAS 2.5-4-4-8, probably double-sided):
1:50, Vegas didn't show render time (a bug I think... encountered it a few times), 1:46, 1:46
Average: 107.33 seconds.
Memory bandwidth as measured by an old version of Memtest: 1519MB/s

With two sticks of Samsung 256MB (CAS 2.5-3-3-8, probably single-sided):
1:43, 1:43, 1:44
Average: 103.33 seconds.
Memory bandwidth as measured by memtest 3.2: 2072MB/s

With one stick of Samsung 256MB:
1:49, 1:48, 1:48
*Windows felt a lot more sluggish with one stick... weird.
Average: 108.33 seconds.
Memory bandwidth as measured by memtest 3.2: 1561MB/s

I didn't test extremely well... you can get more precise results (results closer to each other) if you hit enter to start the render and don't move your mouse around and by setting windows to boot with unnecessary programs already closed.

Between the single and double sticks of samsung RAM, there's a ~4.8% speed bump from going to two sticks.
Between the PMI and Samsung sticks, it's ~3.9%.

Considering it costs virtually nothing to get a dual channel configuration, you should go for it and enjoy the very small speed boost (you likely won't notice it except in benchmarks). If you want to be a total speed whore, then get a configuration with the highest memory bandwidth. That's four sticks of double sided or single sided RAM usually. 512MB sticks are commonly double sided, and 256 single sided or double.
see http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1839&p=5

No idea about newer 9xx Intel chipsets, but I'd expect dual channel to be superior to single channel.

RAM timings: The CAS x-x-x-x mumble jumbo refers to the memory timings, lower being better. Memory timings make no measurable difference on render performance.
see my old memory tests:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18841
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #182
New Boot

New here , have question about Encoding in Vegas 5.

Would just like to Say Hello to everybody ,My first post.

My question:

I have an Mpg2 video that I want to edit out some parts , I know this is not the Best format to edit with, after I edit the file is there a way to save the Mpg without re-encoding?

Thanks Everybody......
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #183
Major Player

>>>>The shake tremor script. dunno who its from though..

Are you referring to Vegas Quake? (http://www.rmtools.se/vegasquake.html)

This is a great script.

In addition to the "Color Corrector (Secondary)", there is the six-vector" secondary color corrector called 6cc at http://www.moosehill.se/index.php?page=vegas/morevegas.php

I personally recommend the Shuttle Xpress. I don't know what I'm missing from its larger brother, but this little tool is invaluable.

Brian
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #184
Inner Circle

yeah that one :)

im waiting for the pump to come out too :)

that one intrigued me coz i do alot of dance partes and im actualyl doin a physical zoom in/out to get that effect.. if i can sync the script to some techno beats, then were in business :)
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #185
Regular Crew

I would add Barry Green's "The DVX Book" to the list

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #186
Slash Rules!

This is really weird. . .rendering problem (I guess)

Ok, so, here's the deal.

I have an AVI file, a complete short film. I'm trying to make a web/computer friendly version, so I add a brightness/contrast plugin, adjust to my liking, and render the altered AVI to another AVI file. This new "Web AVI" will play fine in the Vegas (4) timeline, and is the correct length (about 6 mins 50 secs).

HOWEVER, whenever I open said Web AVI file in Windows Media Player, for some reason it's only 4 mins and 42 secs long. It says "4:42" where it tells you the length of the file, and furthermore, if you slide the slider to the end, it is indeed cutting off at 4:42, and the file simply ends, no glitchy gibberish or anything, just ends like that's what I wanted it to do.

In addition, when using Windows Media Encoder to change that Web AVI to a .wmv file, that wmv file is ALSO 4:42.

I have no idea why it's doing this. It did it yesterday, and I assumed that I either needed to reboot, or that I'd run out of space on the drive where the rendered file was being written. It's doing it again, exactly the same way, after a reboot, and there's enough space left on the drive to write that file.

When I go to the folder where the two files, the original AVI and the Web AVI, are being stored and right click them, checking the properties, they are both the same size (1.45 GB).

This is so weird that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Got any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #187
Regular Crew

Vegas & Mackie Control

Wow, I just got my Mackie Control to work with Vegas, it's really hot!

Mackie makes an overlay for Vegas:
http://www.mackie.com/products/macki...AS_Overlay.pdf

You can order it here for $10 + $10 shipping:
http://www.mackie.com/products/macki...u_overlay.html
Old January 16th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #188
Inner Circle

nope.. its gotta be redone..

best thing to do is render original mpg2 to avi.. mess with it.. touch it up a bit with sharpness and denoise filters, then render back to mpg2..

its how its done with HDV and works really well..

welcome to the forum by the way..
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #189
Inner Circle

dude read my rant down the bottom somewhere on the forum here.. vegas slo mo killed my project...

i feel for ya man.. coz i too experience this stuff up...

oh hey, try this.. wack that full 6 min vid into ANOTHOER nle.. like main concept main actor which opens ANY format... and you'll see that ur getting the same problem... or better yet.. try to use Canopus procoder with that file and youll see that you have NO LUCK in gettin it to read past ur 4.42....

yes it sux... and its been an issue since V4 first came out...
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #190
Major Player

Vegas 5.0/Spicemaster 2.0

Not sure what my service pack is; why it reads it as an "unsupported format" despite it being "there" on the hard drive is beyond me. It jus doesn't "open."
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #191
New Boot

Thank you peter, Thats what I thought , was just hoping maybe there was and I missed it.

Thanks Again.
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #192
Inner Circle

meh...

i use a Yamaha RS7000 workstation so its full of midi knobs and on top of that its a great sound source and synnth for creating effects etc.. :)

u can get these dirt cheap in the US now.. hell any synth will do the trick...
u can get teh RS lil bro the RM1x, S/H for about 250US.. well worth the dosh...
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #193
Slash Rules!

I don't understand. . .what's causing it? I didn't use any slow motion with anything.

As I said, the original AVI, the master of the short film, I rendered from separate files, and it's fine.

Can you elaborate on what this "bug" is? I've done this whole process before, and it worked out perfectly. I don't see why it's screwing up now.

Are those other encoders free?
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #194
Inner Circle

Maybe Vegas is just rendering the loop region??? Uncheck the box to double check.
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #195
Slash Rules!

Thanks, but that's not it. I double-click the whole AVI file when I run through this procedure, making the whole thing the loop region. Also, as I said, in the Vegas timeline, that new AVI file is fine; it's everywhere else it's screwed up.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...