Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #211
Major Player

If you are running WinXP it uses a fair bit of RAM. I think minimum requirement is 128MB (?). If you have a shared video card (probably unlikely though) that'll use a bit more RAM too.
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #212
Major Player

Philippe

I can't envision what that would look like. Maybe I am doing something different than you with my text? I am too much of a rookie. Wanna post a sample? LOL
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #213
Sponsor: JET DV

With 1 Gig, my max is 895 meg.
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #214
Regular Crew

Sony Pictures Sound Effects Series

I just ran across a review of Sony Pictures Sound Effects Series by Charlie White. The Series sells for $349.95 on B&H. Has anyone used this yet?

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=916

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=29761

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=10001
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #215
Major Player

These folks http://www.womble.com/products.htm claim to have a program that does frame-accurate MPEG-2 editing. I've not used it so can't say whether or how well it works. If you give it a try please give us a report, OK?

Good luck.

Dennis
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #216
Major Player

I hitnk DSE posted some comments about it maybe two weeks ago?
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #217
Regular Crew

I've used it a number of times (Womble's MPEG Video Wizard) and it really does what it claims.

After you've done your editing (and it is frame-accurate indeed), you click on render and it shows you graphically what and where will be re-encoded and what will be left as it is. If you've just done cuts, nothing will be re-encoded. If you've done any transitions, just those will be re-encoded (and very quickly).

It has a very pleasant and fast intuitive interface with multiple tracks and input and output windows, a lot of nice transitions and filters and effects, titles etc. Of course if you use any filters, those sections will need to be re-encoded.

There's a free 30 day trial. I'm very pleased with it for mpeg work.

The only thing I didn't like was if my audio was AC3 and I wanted to add a fade, Video Wizard converted the audio to mpeg (this is a limitation of AC3 editing, though).

Hope this helps.

Tony
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #218
Regular Crew

Hi ,

I would if I had one :)

One quick example would be to do a mask with your text and some footage of fire.

You put your text at the bottom of the screen and with the cookie cutter you slice of the rest of the screen

You could have scrolling fiery text at the bottom of the screen , that would be cool.

I'm still a rookie myself but I am learning all the time , this is what I like so much about NLE with Vegas.

For example I just finish one of my project today (with the help of you and a couple of others :)

Very easy : text event with a nice font , white letters over black screen. It ended up not looking good. i thought then that the same logo with letters outlined in white instead of being all white would look good.

Fool around a bit but couldn't find the way to do it and ... BINGO , reverse engineering:

Instead of having the white letters on top of black background I will do black letters on black background and apply a white outline effect to the text. i had to play in the dark a bit because i was working black on black but it ended up being exactly what I wanted to be.

I am discovering that by thinking backward instead of forward and sideways instead of straight forward I (we) now have limitless possibilities with the wide range of effects available in Vegas.

It was difficult at first and there are still some stuff that I don't comprehend but by keeping on fooling around with it I'll get to know it on no time :)

Have fun :)

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #219
Major Player

Oh, now I understand. I was having trouble envisoning hoe the cookie cutter came into it. I would do that effect differently, but I understand now and you are right, it would be cool.

I too am learning that there are ten ways to get different effects, and I just have to learn how all the pieces hook together. Even more interesting is that the sequence you link them totally affects the end result. Its more than learning a new language its learning a new way to think.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #220
Major Player

Your probably running XP.If you check your allocated memory it will show your app and Xp has eaten your memory.256 is minimum for XP and prefer 512 or more IMHO
Like Edward said add the memory
smitty
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #221
RED Code Chef

I must confess that I haven't read everything of your "rant", but:

- why are you doing slow-motion after a conversion to progessive? I would slow down the interlaced footage which creates progressive on the fly

- it is a known fact that most NLE's aren't very good at slowing stuff down, that's why there are specific programs to do it

- I didn't quite follow your 4 min 37 story. I've never had a problem exporting anything in Vegas 4 or 5

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #222
RED Code Chef

Can your monitor display a PAL signal?

What are the Vegas project settings? I assume you set it to PAL?

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #223
Sponsor: JET DV

the problem lies in the fact that even with supersampling, im gettin really REALLY choppy slow mo.. so from interlaced video to frame mode to slow mo.. obviously im losing frames....

Why is it obvious you're losing frames? Naturally some things slow down better than others. If you slow down a person walking across the camera it is not going to look as good as slowing down a person walking toward the camera. Just the nature of the beast.

On top of that, rendering in interlaced is a nightmare and i no longer wish to put my HDD to that much strain.. i kid you not.. a 2 hour wedding took 33 hours to render and al i had was a widescreen mask, and my basic film bleach bypass, effects being colour curves, sepia, glow and corrector.

Not exactly true. You're doing a LOT of changes to the footage - that's what's taking the time. It's not like the hard drive is going to be constantly hitting over that period of time. You've added a lot of CPU intensive effects. Also, if you're going to render to interlaced, shoot interlaced. Up above you mentioned rendering to 25p!

Theres a myriad of other issues with it, such as output files only allowing a playback of up to 4 minutes and 37seconds.. irrespective of the output file type, if i wanted to encode in another app, such as procoder, forget it..

I have never seen this. I routinely render multi-gig files usually in the 2 hour range. Never seen one that did not play back correctly in other apps. 4:37 sounds suspiciously like some app on your system is hitting the 1 Gig barrier.

Have you tried holding down CTRL-SHIFT and then starting Vegas? This will reset everything back to the factory defaults. What happens when you render then? Do things look any different? Can other apps see past the 1Gig point then?

I know you're frustrated at this point but some of these issues you mention aren't problems on my system. I have no problems with other apps seeing the full file. You also have another option you haven't mentioned and that is to frameserver to the other app.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #224
RED Code Chef

Ray: ehm, what has a DVX book todo with the Vegas NLE?

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #225
Inner Circle

do you have an external firewire drive connected while you are trying to preview?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...