Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #481
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Lefchik : I've done some testing, and here are the results.

Video exported directly from Vegas (in my case I used the Vegas 5 trial) can be streamed fine via http. There is a caveat, however. The video will start streaming okay if launched from Internet Explorer 6, but surfers like me who use an alternative browser will not get the video streamed if the wmv format is not included in the mime settings on the server.

Mime settings let a browser know how to handle file types. In the case of a wmv file the server would let the browser know that the video should be passed off to Windows Media player, thus avoiding downloading the file. Windows Media player would then take care of streaming the file itself.

A wvx file is not needed.

The mime settings for different web servers are at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../html/mime.asp.

If your web host allows you to configure an .htaccess file you can add the wmv extension yourself. Otherwise you will have to ask them to configure it for you. -->>>

I also did some testing and I'm not getting the same results. Files encoded with Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder using the "Progressive Download" profile, streamload (as I call it) properly, with or without the MIME settings on the server. Files encoded using the Vegas plugin do not, with or without the additional MIME settings (I tried it both ways). I haven't had a chance to try wvx yet, but that's next.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #482
Major Player

Can Vegas do pixel tracking or corner pin?
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #483
Regular Crew

Cmon guys ,this is not constructive , I am kindly asking to be redirected to any online help for boris Red.

Start your own thread if you can't supply any info

Thanks for understanding

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #484
Major Player

I dont get it.I'm trying to be constructive as I think the pixel tracker in Boris yields good results and someone might know if Vegas can do this.
If you prefer not to discuss Boris's advantages or the possibility that Vegas could do what you want and all your looking for is a forum dedicated for Boris ,I don't know of any.
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #485
Regular Crew

HI Jack ,

Sorry I am still new in Boris and didn't know of any pixel tracking tool.

Actually yes , the question was only to find out if anybody knows a good forum for Boris.

Since it looks like you know your way around I will ask you here.

Whenever I try to drop a text effect in Boris the text appear sheared , stretch out like. There is a sheared effect in Vegas when you insert text media.

So the text never appear just....normal

Sorry and thanks :)

Old February 8th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #486
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Jack Smith : Can Vegas do pixel tracking or corner pin? -->>>

No it can not (unless you manually do it on each frame). Boris is an extremely powerful addition to Vegas but does have a pretty steep learning curve.

I know Class On Demand has a DVD related to Boris. I'm sure there are probably some other training DVD sets around and probably some books. I'm just not familiar with the training aids available.

If you want to contact me I can send your contact info to my contact at Boris and see if they can provide additional info.
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #487
Regular Crew

Hi ,

Well that is mighty generous of you Ed but thanks. Actually the learning curve is quite OK by me so far. Indeed it looks very powerful.

My "bug" is below , that is the only thing so far (and i've already spent a few days on it and so far I am more than OK) that bugs me and I posted it in this thread.

Thanks for your time

Phil

Old February 9th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #488
Major Player

help. strange black occurances in time line

i am editing a and creating the soundtrack for a short animation piece (9 minutes) on vegas 5.

the animatior gave me an avi file of the animation, compressed with Dvix on a cd. i of course, copied the avi file to my pc and imported it to the vegas project.

when viewing the animation track on the vegas timeline i noticed that there were 3 instances when the video strangely just went black for a few seconds. i checked the timeline and saw that there are three blacked out portions in the video.

i tried playing the avi file on 2 different media players and with both there were no blacked out sections as seen on vegas.

i tried closing vegas, creating a new project and importing the avi file again from scratch. the blacked out portions were still there and in the exact same places as before.

i asked the animator to render the animation again and make me a new cd. he did this, i loaded the new avi file and the blacks were still there. dispair.

what is happening? how is this possible? i must have a clean video track to work with.

by the way, the animator rendered the animation into an avi file using vegas 5.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #489
RED Code Chef

Get www.virtualdub.org, load the media and set both the
video and audio to full processing mode. Then save a new avi
(this will be uncompressed and thus large!!!) and load this into
Vegas. Hopefully that should fix your problem.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #490
Regular Crew

DV 30p project to render as DV NTSC

I just noticed something bad ! This problem degraded my footage on a project before I noticed it.

I have a DV 30p project . I got DV footage shot in 30p. It looks great in my preview.

Then I render the project with AVI template "DV NTSC". This render will be used later in another 30p project. When I import that rendered clip back into Vegas using a 30p project, the quality is much less then the original 30p DV footage !!

I looked at the settings of the DV NTSC template to render and noticed the mode was set to lower field first. So I saved the original footage again as DV NTSV and this time I set it to progressive. I also saved a new custom template called "DV NTSC 30p" with that setting for future usage. The result was MUCH better ! The rendered footage looked exactly the same as the original footage.

The moral of the story. If you create a 30p DV project and want to render it out to the DV NTSC template. Make sure to change lower field to progressive or you'll get bad blurry quality. When using that rendered footage in another 30p project.

The reason I think it was blury is the following.

The project is 30p and tries to load a DV that it thinks is interlaced(created with the DV NTSC template), although each frame is clean progressive. What it then try to do is change interlaced into progressive ( although the actual data is already progressive ) using the blend fields option. That's why it becomes blury.

This is an easy thing to miss and that could cause quality degradation if you forget to set to progressive when rendering as AVI DV NTSC.

Frank
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #491
RED Code Chef

Actually it does it the other way around. It converts your progressive
footage in a form of interlaced footage. That is why it looks "worse"
than before.

You are totally correct that you should output as progressive. As
I have been saying tons of times here on the board, make sure
all your settings MATCH EXACTLY. That includes project settings,
footage properties and export settings!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #492

Either that or have the original person send it to you in a decent format (i.e. DV-AVI).

Divx isn't officially supported in Vegas (although, for some reason, it seems lots of people want to use it).
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #493
Major Player

thanks for the replies. edward, the only reason is size. being able to render the film so that it fits on a cd makes things much simpler. but maybe we just have to find some other method of being able to transfer the media from one to another. i didn't know vegas doesn't support Dvix. oh well.
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #494

<<<-- Originally posted by Adi Head : i didn't know vegas doesn't support Dvix. oh well. -->>>

doesn't "officially" support it. It can use any valid codec on your system, though.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #495
Major Player

Do Decklink HD Cards work with Vegas?

I want my next project to be shot on Sony HDCAM (1080 24p) but I still want to stay with Vegas. The Decklink solutions look nice (and well priced) but will they work with Vegas?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...