Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #526
Sponsor: JET DV

Procedure:

Go through all tracks until you find the first selected track
Go through all events on that track until you find the one under the cursor

Set the "Selected" flag of that event to true.

If you want to make sure it is the ONLY selected event then you need to make sure the Selected flag is set to false on ALL other events in the project.

Click the link under my name for more scripting details OR contact me directly and I can help you out.
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #527
Trustee

Understood.

I presume you determine which event is under the cursor by ensuring that the event starts before the cursor and ends after it (therefore the cursor is in the middle.)
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #528
Trustee

Thank you, sir! I ended up with the following:

Code:
import Sony.Vegas;

var i;

var trackEnum = new Enumerator(Vegas.Project.Tracks);
var track : Track = Track(trackEnum.item());

while (!trackEnum.atEnd()) {
 	for (i=0; i<track.Events.Count-1; i++) {
 		if (track.Selected &&
 			track.Events[i].Start < Vegas.Cursor &&
 			track.Events[i+1].Start > Vegas.Cursor)
 				track.Events[i].Selected=true; 				
 		else
 			track.Events[i].Selected=false;
 		}
  	trackEnum.moveNext();
  	track=Track(trackEnum.item());
}
The only problem is that I could not disable the beep upon completion of the script.
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #529

Not sure why you would be getting a beep. I would change:

track.Events[i+1].Start > Vegas.Cursor)

because it is POSSIBLE that the "next" event starts after the cursor but the "current" event stops BEFORE the cursor.

Instead, use:

(track.Events[i].Start + trackEvents[i].Length) > Vegas.Cursor)
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #530
Trustee

Absolutely right; I fixed it. The beep was due to an incorrect hotkey assignment. I filed it under TrackView instead of Global. Now it is working perfectly...I can hop from event to event with a touch of a button.

Thank you!
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #531
Major Player

Bad news for CF24 and Sony Vegas Capture 5.0

Ran some tests on Saturday. Running some more today. One thing I noticed:

If you run Sony Vegas Capture 5.0 and plug your camera up via Firewire (dv downconverted=yes), then In all modes on the Z1U you get to see a live action preview of what the camera is seeing. At any point you can hit the "CAPTURE VIDEO" button and begin capturing that footage to your computer...easy as pie.... My camera was in 1080i HDV mode (as I will always keep it), I had the downconversion ON via firewire, and I tried capturing directly to computer with Sony Vegas Capture in ALL framing modes of the Z1U.

Z1U in HDV/50i downconverted to DV via firewire mode: CAPTURES LIVE FOOTAGE
Z1U in HDV/CF25 downconverted to DV via firewire mode: CAPTURES LIVE FOOTAGE
Z1U in HDV/60i downconverted to DV via firewire mode: CAPTURES LIVE FOOTAGE
Z1U in HDV/CF30 downconverted to DV via firewire mode: CAPTURES LIVE FOOTAGE
Z1U in HDV/CF24 downconverted to DV via firewire mode: DOES NOT CAPTURE ANY LIVE FOOTAGE.

what happens: If I start capturing cf24 live, for say like 20 seconds...no problem, no dropped frames, clock is running fine. As soon as I hit the STOP button.....the pop up window appears that normally shows your clips simply says "No frames captured" and my thumbnail preview is empty!!

Thats not all....

If I start capturing, for say like 40 seconds or longer...HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! Frames begin to drop as fast as they are captured (100% of them). and then computer begins to freeze up. If I hit STOP in time before letting the system freeze, the same popup window says "No frames captured" same as before for 20 sesconds or less.

So basically, using CF24 and Sony Vegas Capture 5.0...you will NOT be able to capture live footage from a direct preview via firewire.

However, if you capture your HDV footage to tape in CF24 mode, and then put the camera in VCR mode and THEN do a playback/capture, everything is fine.

Crazy ain't it?

- ShannonRawls.com
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #532
Regular Crew

Thanks for typing this post. It saved me the hassle of typing it. :)
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #533
Major Player

A question about letterboxing your footage.

Since I have a GL2 I don't have Native 16:9 CCD's so, I obviously have to letterbox the footage in Vegas.

In order to get the footage to properly show up on a 16:9 HD tv as a 16:9 movie what are the proper steps in rendering.

I would think that after you letterbox the final movie's footage, one might want to render the footage say....to DVD NTSC Widescreen right?

So the final footage is in the timeline, render to widescreen dvd, then place footage on dvd, done?

The best thing to do is to letterbox on the last render correct? I've rendered the footage letterboxed and when I import it back into Vegas it looks funny....like squashed.... why is that. The footage properties should be widesceen but it just doesn't look right.

Another thing I wanted to ask is that if I shoot in normal mode, should I run a full pulldown first 3-2 or 3-2-2-3 and then output to 24p or just output to 24p and be done with it?

Another thing, when you output to DVD NTSC do you go progressive or interlaced? I've been going progressive.
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #534
Major Player

removing excess footage

Hi folks, just don't know what to call this - so I can't seem to find anyting in my books about it.

BUT - what I want to do is edit a bunch of stuff - shorten some clips to what I want - then import the shortened clips into an old project I'm working on.

Is there a way to do this without having to render each clip?

thanks,
Milt
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #535
Tourist

Can I create subtitles in either Vegas 4 or DVD A?

I just stared editing some footage I shot in Germany, and I'm a bit anxious because it seems creating subtitles ain't so easy.
I'm dealing with a lot of German dialogue that needs subtitling.

If anyone has any thoughts on this (vegas solutions, alternate dvd authoring software, some other type of graphics software, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #536
Regular Crew

update...

Ok, it turns out there was some wacky application association that suddenly caused this problem, but what threw me was that it only seemed to be on the newest clips. It's a little weird, because my older clips (authored with ms' wme tool) would play properly when clicked, but the new stuff that was rendered with Vegas wouldn't. Or at least it seemed that way - I actually tried some other clips that were done with MS WME (using the progressive download format) and they too were not behaving as they should have, so I checked a few other things. It turns out it was a hijacked file/app association on this end. I fixed that, so everything (including the .wmv files created within Vegas) "streamload" properly now too. Sorry for the false alarm. I fixed it by going into the windows media player options and retoggling the .wmv filetype association.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #537

If you want true DVD sub-titles, you need to upgrade to Vegas 5 + DVDA 2. Subtitles were added in DVDA2.

Alternately, in DVDA2 you can have multiple audio tracks so you could have one in German and one in English, for example.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #538

Here's one way that would work:

Create sub-clips for all the sections you want to keep (Extract Good Clips in Tsunami is a good tool to simplify this task)

Put all of those sub-clips in a specific bin in the media pool

Copy that bin from one project to the other (i.e. Open Vegas twice - once for each project. Make the media pool in each visible, and drag that bin between the two.)
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #539
Regular Crew

Nobody huh ?
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #540

Did you have it set to scene detect? If yes, try turning that off.

Did you have the minimum clip length turned on? If yes, try turning that off.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...