Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #556
Sponsor: JET DV

What drive have you specified for your "temporary files"? The audio ALWAYS gets rendered to a W64 file. By default, that will be on drive C - you may not want it there.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #557
Trustee

Glad you got it figured out. Computers sure can be fussy at times, eh?
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #558
New Boot

It's version 5.0b build 160

The problem happens with both stills and clips that display correctly at other places in the timeline.

Forget what I said about it happening after the clip is there for awhile - I just replaced a problematic clip only to see the same line appear in it's replacement. (I tried this delete and replace technique once before with success.)

In some cases the line goes across the bottom as well forming a sort of box within a box effect.

All clips have are defaulted to "Maintain Aspect Ratio".

thanks
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #559

How about a snapshot as to what you are seeing (I'm not picturing what you're describing).?

How about a way to reproduce to see if we can produce the same results?

Or maybe a copy of the VEG file into which we could drop our own media to see if we get similar results?
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #560
Major Player

Thanks, I will give that a go.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #561
Regular Crew

Let's say I shoot in CF25 in HDV mode and then capture the footage without downconverting. I could then change the frame rate to 23.976 and then down convert to NTSC DV 24p right?
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #562
Major Player

ROB!

THat did it. Actually, I found it was ok to keep "Minimum Clip Length" checked at 1 second. But what I needed to do was turn "SCENE DETECTION" OFF. I had it "ON" for all the other modes. CF24, it must be off.

Thanks. Now you can effectively capture ALL MODES in the HVR-Z1U with Sony Vegas Capture 5.0. Just make sure Scene Detection is OFF when doing so. (you shouldn't need it for a 'live' capture anyhow. *smile*

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #563
Major Player

Can Vegas5d capture HDV right in the program???

Can Vegas5d capture HDV right in the program???

Or is a 3rd party capture tool needed?

thanks!
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #564
Obstreperous Rex

Greg -- please post that question in our HDV Editing forum. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #565
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Adams : It's not because it's upper first, it's because it's not DV, and Vegas 5 only does pulldown removal on DV. You can downconvert HDV CineFrame 24 to DV and remove the pulldown if you wish.

///d@
Sony Media Software -->>>

how?
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #566
Regular Crew

Why can't I add/find envelopes?

Newbie question..

I read in the help file how to add supersampling. It says go to the video track, right click, and insert a supersampling envelope.

I tried that, but it isn't offered as a choice in the context menu. Neither is Motion Blur. The only choices I get on the video track are Mute, Composite Level, and Fade to color.

So how can I add a motion blur envelope and / or a supersampling envelope? I've yet to see any menu choice that offers either...
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #567

Supersampling is added on the Video Bus track. To to View, Video Bus Track, and then you can add the envelope there.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #568
Regular Crew

Crop problem

I was working on a project and I noticed a few clips where I could see a portion of my matt box in the right corner of the shot. So I figure no problem I'll just crop the clip so I does'nt show.
After viewing the result I decided I wanted to change it but it was late so figured I'd do it the next night.
So the next evening I opened up the project and had at it.

I clicked on the pan/crop button in the event, when it opened I right clicked and hit restore so I could try something diffent but it did not restore.
I tried it many times on the different clips I needed to change but they would not restore.

In desperation I tried a few things with no luck. Untill I hit the effect button on a clip, put a effect on it, then took it off and walla.. The orignal clip un-cropped was back!!
So I changed all the clips this way but when I played it back some off then were changed back to cropped again!!

There was no alcohol involved and I did'nt do anything fancy the night before. Just the usual editing like I've done before.What is going on??

I don't think I turned anything on to cause this in the options list because I did'nt go in there. maybe a tool bar button?? I also tried a re-boot with no luck.
Any help with the one will save me my sanity......
Thanks as usual.
Ron.G
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #569

Any way to provide steps to reproduce? I just did some quick testing and could not get that to happen. Of course, I'm not sure I completely followed everything you did.

i.e. start with new project
Add media
etc...
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #570
Regular Crew

basically I started a new project with the standard 60I default template. Drag and drop from the media pool to the time line then edited the clips of what I wanted using the "split clips" function and deleting the unwanted portions from the time line.
Made some transitions and direct cuts (nothing fancy) and then I did some pan and crops on the clips that needed it.

I clicked on the Pan/crop button for the clip and made my changes. The preview window would update to those crop changes just as it should.
After viewing I decided I did'nt like the out come so I saved the project with the save command (not the save as dialog)
So I could resume the project the next night.

Last night I started up the project to fix the cropping and when I clicked on the Pan and crop button in one of the clips then right clicked in the crop window to bring up the restore menue, then hit restore, I did nothing.

I move the crop box around but the preview window did not update. I tried the sync to curser on and off. Nothing.
Then just for the heck of it I hit the effects icon for the same clip and applied a effect. Then I deleted the effect and the clip was no longer cropped . It was restored like I wanted it in the first place.

Your reading it right, it just does'nt make any sence at all.
I have no idea what is causing this but I'm gonna mess with it again tonight and see if I can figure it out.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...