Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #601
Regular Crew

Am i missing something (ie. it's hidden in another filter) or is there no other normalize in vegas other than the one in a clip's properties? not even a destructive edit i could make? the normalize i'm looking at doesn't let you specify head room.
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #602
Inner Circle

I don't think the volume envelopes work down to sample-level accuracy.

Usually you don't need to go that far, but if you do, Vegas' integrationg with Sound Forge is excellent. It keeps takes of the edits you make in Sound Forge. So you can undo destructive edits.

Vegas does get into the subframe level, which allows you to make good dialogue edits.

2- Workaround for Normalize: Normalize, and then drop the volume on the clip.

Workaround2: In the Vegas settings, you can set what level to normalize to.
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #603
Regular Crew

awesome, thanks glenn.
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #604
Inner Circle

For the record, Avid XpressProHD cuts sound down to the quarter frame level.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #605
Trustee

iTunes isn't so much the problem, as the Apple Store. I use iTunes on my PC and don't have any problems. I'd never buy from somewhere with some DRM style thing on it. I just buy the CD's and rip them.

Aaron
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #606
New Boot

Ed,

The mystery is solved - thanks to you. I was about to describe the effect I was seeing as picture-in-picture when I noticed a thread about .. PIP.

When I read your newsletters I knew I had inadvertantly switched on track motion somewhere along the line; and so it was. I was seeing the sides of a large PIP box. Using your excellent instruction I resized the box in track motion and things are looking up.

Many many thanks. Great newsletter. You are a wonderful human being.

Lorraine
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #607
Sponsor: JET DV

Glad to hear you found the answer!

A quick way to tell if Track Motion is in use: There will be a small keyframe track below the video track when Track Motion is active.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #608
Wrangler

Re: Re: Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by Shannon Rawls : <<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu :
A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in. -->>>

Good idea John. And not that dirty actually. it still maintains a very high bitrate and quality.

Problem solved.

- Shannon W. Rawls -->>>

Yep, I posted this awhile back when I was having issues getting music into a wedding video. That ended up being my solution which worked quite well. Shannon, I wouldn't sweat the iTunes thing much. On a pc, just fire up any wave file recorder and hit play in itunes. To borrow your words...'problem solved'. :)

-gb-
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #609
Inner Circle

Avid also has a direct connection with Pro tools, think of it in the way Vegas and SoundForge can be coupled together.. Avid and ProTools works in a simialr fashion.

i guess with Vegas 6, theyll be implementing numerous new features most likely already found in the new version of Acid and soundforge 8....

One thing I would like, would be to control CC Data of a hardware/softsynth via an envelope within a "midi send" track within Vegas..
This way i can literally set filter cut offs, resonance, effects etc etc and any other control via midi to my Hardware and have it all synced within vegas.. right now, im using vegas to trigger orion, which in turn is triggering soft synths and other studio sound gear.. and its realy realy twistchy coz they tweaks are supposed to be synced to the footage.. but if i cant see the footage i need to play it by ear and frames.

Now having a midi send would be good.. this'll help with scoring and offer precise control of effects and tweaks for those who use external hardware to create soudn effects and music which needs to go with the footage.. at least this way u can actaully see the footage..
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #610
Inner Circle

another trick is to overlay a new video track with your new footage.. and only using that new cut OVER your original edit. this way insted of reshuffling teh whole lot, you can literally move all the events across, add your new piece with its paired sound fx etc, then move everything back.
I do this with alot of corporate stuff as i collate material from different sources.. it needs to be added in parts which i have already edited and it saves aot of hassle..
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #611
Major Player

thanks for the replies. next time i have to do this, i'll try taking some of your advice.
if i run into any other problems, i'll let you know.

thanks again,
adi
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #612
Regular Crew

Ed, Sorry I did'nt get back right away. I re-named the file and everything is back to normal. ????

If it happens again I'll send it to you. Than I'll have myself commited. :)
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #613
Trustee

are Academic versions of Vegas allowed to create commercial projects (money)?

i know that in terms of Macromedia and Adobe academic/educational licenses always stipulate that you are to use their "academic" license versions for training purposes but you can't create commercial DVDs to sell to prospective clients for money, is taht the case with Vegas as well? is that a sort of rule of thumb for video editing software or content creation softare in general?

but honestly, how many popular short films out there get examined by licensing divisions of software companies? ya know?
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #614
Major Player

That's the rule with ANY software. That's why it's called the "Academic" version and not the "Commercial" version. If you are ever in doubt you can always consult the end user license agreement or the purchase agreement you agreed to when you bought it.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #615
Sponsor: JET DV

Technically, the license agreement is the same for either the standard or academic versions. Although, if you're going to be making money from it, you *should* be able to aford the standard version.

To be 100% sure, you can always check with customer service.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...