Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #721
Tourist

Mixing in Vegas and "Africa"

So, this is kind of random, but I'm going to be in a High School talent show and I wanted to do an Acapella version of Africa by Totu. I almost have all of the parts recorded of myself into vegas, but I am not a very capable audio mixer or recorder. Does anyone have any hints or better yet, would anyone be interested in taking on a funny side project of mixing these files so they sound good by Thursday? It would be helpful, because I really don't know how to mix well... Thanks.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #722
Inner Circle

PI wont accept Vegas DV Avis, u have to render out as RAW DV then import as a abackground image within PI

PI does support transparencys and Vegas does feed off them.. but for the actual composite work, its actually ALOT faster to render in PI

umm..

what else did u want to know??

PI3 is awsome.. prolly one of the best tools ive had the pleasure to use.

oh and when u export the movie, i jsut export as raw. THe blockers a re a great addition as well ...
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #723
Major Player

Premiere <- -> Vegas

Annoyingly confusing title I know, I apologise!

What I'm trying to ask is, anyone know if its more Premiere users going across to Vegas or more Vegas users going across to Premiere these days?

As much as I want to learn Premiere, deep down I think a lot of it is because of the "recognition" of being able to edit in it ("the consumer standard" pretty much) as Vegas is still nowhere near as known as Prem. I think Vegas is a wonderful tool, and will definitely continue to use it... I don't think I could ever fully migrate to Premiere unless things change a lot.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #724
RED Code Chef

Does it really matter? If you want to work with a tool that gets
acceptance in the industry you should not use either, probably.
Avid and FCP are the two tools that are most used in the
"professional" world of editing. Premiere is indeed much more
known, but not really used by the big boys, it seems.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #725
Major Player

Indeed, doesn't matter one bit.. its all down to curiosity. I know Premiere isn't used by the big boys (and I hate macs so won't move over to that system) but obviously Avid is out most of our leagues.. but I will train myself on it bit by bit anyway. I'm just intrigued as to how many people are moving between systems these days, I remember back in the day of V3 a lot of premiere users were switching over after being impressed.. now PremPro 1.5 is out, I'm wondering if people are switching back or if even more are moving over.

I personally want to get to grips with as many "proper" PC based editing suites as I can, but I know a lot of people would rather stick to one.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #726
RED Code Chef

Why do you say that Avid is out of most of our leagues? There is
a free version of Avid out and I believe that the Express DV version
is not that expensive either. They say if you know your way around
Avid it doesn't really matter which version of Avid it is.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #727
Major Player

Kinda forgot what board I'm on here, Avid is way under half of our leagues here, but a bit out of mine ;) I've toyed with Avid DV Xpress (from memory) and on one monitor with its default layout scared the hell out of me :) Albeit this was a while ago now, so would probably feel more at home with it now I'm sure, but I think I'll work my way up to it slowly. I think I'd be far more comfortable working within Vegas for a while whilst learning Premiere on the side.. I believe a friend of mine says she'll show me around Avid properly one day which'd be nice.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #728
Regular Crew

Zoom in on video

If I shoot a medium shot and in post decide it really should have been a tight shot is it reasonable to do the zoom in post?

How much futzing can I do before I need to worry about image degredation?

Thanks,

KIM
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #729
Sponsor: JET DV

You can zoom a little without any noticable loss but I probably wouldn't go more than about 10%. The farther you zoom, the softer the image will become.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #730
Sponsor: JET DV

James, I don't know if anyone knows the real answer to your question. I DO know that in the forums I have seen many premiere users migrating to Vegas. Those same users indicate the Premiere forums do NOT show as much of a migration from Vegas to Premiere. However, as Rob said, does it really matter?
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #731
Regular Crew

oh no here comes another velocity enveloppe question

Hi all,

Well I tried to search first but only came up with my own posts in the results.

Ok so I drop a velocity enveloppe and 00:27:17 , completely stop the event and and hold on to that frame. So far so good.

Now I want to cut at that frame and put a flash transition , when the effect is done the same still image appear in B&W

The problem is that when I cut the event the next event start at the other frame even though I stopped it with the enveloppe. The new segment still has that enveloppe set to 0 so I am really not sure then why it still jumps to the next frame

Any ideas is of course greatly appreciated.

Phil

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #732
Regular Crew

Here is the segment I am talking about.

it is a 13 meg uncompress file so nobody should have any problem viewing it.

If you go frame by frame you will clearly see what am talking about.

thanks again

http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=273C41QO91RT61U13J9H0ZZMBL

Old February 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #733
Regular Crew

I just had to do this today to eliminate some heads in the front row of the audience that had been captured in the view from an unattended camera. (who let those people sit up there anyhow?)

I'm not sure how to relate to percentages, but I imagine I cropped about 10% or so of the picture. The result was an apparent loss in resolution as expected.

Following some advice seen on one of the Vegas forums, I duplicated the track, then selected sharpening in the convolution filter for the lower track. Reducing the opacity of the upper track to about 50% looked pretty good.

It's certainly not as good as the original uncropped clip, but it's useful for occasional cut-aways from the main track.

BTW, Edward, the multicam wizard in Excalibur has restored my sanity on this three camera capture of an amateur play.

Ralph
"Before they are gone forever..."
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #734
Major Player

I did not look at your sample, but lets see if I understand what you said.

When you cut footage, it cuts between frames. So segment 1 has footage from 0:0:0 to 0:1:12 and the next segment will start at 0:1:13. (example)

It does not cut and duplicate a frame. So if I understand correctly, you need to use two identical segments, trimming one after the freeze frame, and trimming the next one before the freeze frame, making sure the identical frame remains in both segments. You can't just cut one and get what you are looking for.

Does that make sense? Does it sove the problem?
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #735
Regular Crew

Hi John,

It does make sense unless a more experienced user says otherwise.

I'll give it a shot , I got another segment of the video I am working on that needs the same treatment.

BTW when I am done with this project there will be a nice intro into it , done with Vegas. Since I can't find a guy who's willing to be part of the team I am trying to assembled I decided to learn myself.

Hope your "intro" problems are solved , keep you posted on this velocity thing

Thanks for your time

Phil

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...