Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 5th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #796
Major Player

Thanks Edward -- I appreciate the info...
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #797
Regular Crew

Excalibur

Hi Edward!

I've been completing a project which I started in September, using excalibur.

It's a 3 Cam shoot, and I've selected all the shots I want to use.

I then rendered out, after removing the PIP, but there are occasional scenes where the PIP is visible in the rendered file. Is there any way I can get rid of this, or stop it happening?

One thought I had was that:

I did the credit roll, and intro, seperately, then added them to the time line where I had the multicam set up, as AVI files. Should I have rendered out the multicam veg then added all 3 avi's (Start, 3 Cam, and credits, then rendered as MPEG 2?

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #798
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like you manually moved those events to the Master track. If you do that, you have to remove the Pan/Crop settings on those events. Open Pan/Crop on those events and reset it back to the default settings.
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #799
Major Player

I use them both, but don't understand your question.
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #800
Major Player

Basically my question is this, I love Vegas but it takes entirely too long to render the final project. Will Prem pro with hardware card give me realtime? Even with text, croping, and etc. If so, then I will use both packages. When I have all night to render, I will use Vegas. When I am in hurry, something else.... whatever that might be....

I am hoping my answer is adobe prem pro 1.5 with hardware acceleration. I use adobe after effects on regular basis and the idea of not having to go thru the hastle of exporting to avi and importing into ae is almost worth trying prem pro.

Thank You,

Jon
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #801
Inner Circle

hehhehee one thing people conveniently forget to mention is that with teh RTx100, u STILL have to prerender certain types of edits.. such as overlays etc.. mind u its still faster, but the fact remains ur still pre-rendering..

i was aso thinking along the lines of prem pro and rtx, ad i use it for my work when im doing stuff for other people who use this gear, but with vegas theres a lil trick..

set up our edit of a sequence.. doesnt matter how long.. usually between scenes helps.. create 2 markers (in and out)
Now once ur done, save the project..
now render the video element "render loop region only" on that sequnce only..

now while it begins rendering, open a new instance of vegas..
now open up THE SAME PROJECT.

now continue working.. jsut dont touch any of the stuff in the previous loop region.

for me, id rather the conveneince and speed of vegas.. but i use Prem Pro coz i have to..
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #802
Regular Crew

This thread brings up a question I have been wondering about for a while. Does Vegas support any hardware that would speed up render time? (for us with slower computers)
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #803
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Jason : This thread brings up a question I have been wondering about for a while. Does Vegas support any hardware that would speed up render time? (for us with slower computers) -->>>

You best bet would just to upgrade your computer to the fastest you can afford. Try and find bottlenecks in your system and fix them. Also note that Vegas doesn't take advantage of dual processors as much as it should :(
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #804
Inner Circle

You could get a render farm for Vegas (for network rendering), although it helps less than you think (there are a bunch of catches).

The reasonably-priced solutions for speeding up Vegas are:

Upgrading to faster processor. About a step or two down from the fastest processor is where the best bang for the buck lies.

Overclocking also really helps, but you risk system instability and need to test your system well.

You can squeeze out a few extra % of performance if you use 4 sticks of the exact same model RAM. 4 double-sided/banked sticks of RAM > 4 single sided > 2DS/SS > 1 stick >> everything else.
512MB sticks are usually but not always double sided/banked. 256MB sticks are mostly single sided (but not always!!). RAM configuration affects memory bandwidth, which makes a few percent difference for video editing.

Eliminating system bottlenecks (config issues, RAM, hard drive storage, etc.).

Variations on multi-tasking while Vegas is rendering (i.e. open up another instance of Vegas, or go to sleep). Dual processors can help if you use two instances. Dual processors may not be that reasonably priced compared to a single processor.
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #805
Regular Crew

Excalibur

Hi Edward.

On a 2 Cam editing task, I've put a camera change, then deleted the marker, but the camera still changes at that point. It keeps happening. Am I removing the camera change incorrectly, or is there a glitch?

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #806

To remove a camera change, simply delete the marker. If you are saying the tally still changes at that point, you are correct. In order to get that changed as well, you also have to run the Update Tally Wizard. Any time you manually change the markers you'll need to run the Update Tally Wizard to get the tallys straightened out.
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #807
Major Player

Do you do much in the realm of mixed light shooting? I've got nighttime footage of a band where the lights will suddenly hit the lens from the light show. I know that there's no way around the pixelation that I'm getting on those sudden flashes but I'm wondering if you can suggest MPEG settings for such video that might minimize the effects.

I'm going to end up putting about 75 minutes of daytime footage without such problems on a dual layer disc with about 125 minutes of nighttime footage. I figure I can compress the daytime footage much more but am having a hard time figureing out the best balance.

-Kevin
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #808

You may want to put your nighttime footage on TWO dvd's around 60 minutes each. Hopefully the higher allowed bitrate would then sufficiently reduce the problems you are seeing.
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #809
Regular Crew

Specific Color Corection In Vegas...

Hello everybody!
Would somebody describe step-by-step how to adjust the color settings in Vegas 5 so that to get this:
I want to edit the colors in a video footage, but I dont know exactly how to do that. I used Vegas Color Correctors, 6 Color Corrector too, but the results don't make me glad.
So, I will try to be understandable as more as I can:

I want to change the green color to become different kind of green. For that purpose I changed the hue, saturation, even the mix of red or blue in green. Ok, but all other colors in the video become changed together with the adjustment for green - red becomes blueish, greenish or yellowish, etc...
So, how to change every color in a video SEPARATELY without affecting the other colors??? I tried with Secondary Color Corrector applying it on 3 video tracks /copies of the original video track/, but I just don't know how to adjust the compositing and parent or child modes /if nesessary/. You see that I am confused and not so knowledged about this in Vegas 5.
The reason:
I use a DV cam which shoots in excellent quality at all. But everybody who uses the same equipment knows that there is a big-big color difference between a dv cam and a film on dvd /some Hollywood film production, for example/. I tried so many film looks by Magic Bullet and Ultimate S. I don't wanna say a bad word, oh my God, but I realize that nor Magic Bullet, nor Ultimate S can reach the film color quality of a film production, even 50% at least! Am I right or not???
Please for step-by-step explanations, even examples about this matter, because I am really helpless.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #810
Major Player

Out of Focus Effect

Is there some type of effect in Vegas that will allow me to make a shot appear as if it is going in and out of focus? I need to make a POV shot appear as if the person is loosing their sight. Thanks.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...