Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 8th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #826
Sponsor: JET DV

Scripts can't see the actual video or the scopes. Therefore adjustments can't be made based on those.

Plus when setting effects, the individual settings cannot be adjusted. Only PRESETS can be chosen.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #827

In Vegas, you can have as many audio tracks as you need. There's no problem with having as many mics as needed.

Sound Forge is a stereo editor. You can edit each mic in Forge and then bring it back into Vegas. However, it isn't a mixer - Vegas does that.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #828
Inner Circle

Usually the issue is sync, as most cameras do not record quality 4-channel sound (16-bit 48khz, not the 12-bit 32khz stuff) and have an easy way of digitizing it into your computer.

Slate each shot and keep good notes. You may want to do a rough edit and then sync things up, or sync up all your sound beforehand and possibly use Vegas' takes feature.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #829
Inner Circle

North American NTSC DV:
Choose the (extremely) conservative preset with 7.5IRE setup.

If you have an illegal colors they will get clipped. Use the smoothness setting for gradual clipping.

2- Bring up the scopes for an image before applying the filter.
Anything from 0-16 and 235-255 on the histogram will get clipped. On the waveform monitor, it's below 7.5IRE and over 100IRE. On the vectorscope, the clipping boundary is like a hexagon slightly beyond those six boxes (something like that!).

If you don't have colors like that then the Broadcast Colors filter won't do anything.

Reading the waveform: Read it left to right. IRE values of a column from the picture are mapped to columns on the waveform. I hope that makes sense... it can help you spot in the picture where the clipped highlights and shadows are. Look for where it's flat on the waveform monitor (that's from clipping) and then in the corresponding area of your picture to see the visual effect.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #830

Glenn...

Your description is close, but...

There is no real correlation between pedestal (IRE 7.5) and RGB color(RGB16-235). It's not exactly coincidental, but with broadcast colors RGB16 is mapped to IRE7.5. Otherwise, the two really aren't related.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #831
Trustee

If you want to do it right, you need to use an After Effects plug-in like FinalFocus or Lenscare
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #832
Trustee

DV is terrible for color correcting; it has very little chromatic information. Coming from 35mm no-one can convince me otherwise.

To answer your question... you need to use limiters (particularly for hue) to modify only a particular color.
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #833
Regular Crew

How to copy video to another Vegas instance with chapter markers?

I've scoured the manual and the forums but haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

How can I copy an edited video or video selection to another Vegas instance while retaining the chapter markers? I tried saving the markers to a text file but can't find a way to import them back into the new instance.

Thanks for any guidance.

Tony
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #834

To get the markers between two projects, just go to View - Edit Details, select to view the markers and select them all, copy, go to the other instance, and paste.

HOWEVER, the markers will be put in the same location as they were in the first instance. But it WILL let you copy them this way.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #835
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward, that's what I tried but I haven't been able to paste them into the 2nd instance - either in the Edit Details window where paste is not a highlighted option, nor anywhere else in the program. Probably something simple I'm missing.

But your "HOWEVER" sentence basically tells me that even if I could paste them it would not do what I'm trying to achieve.

I have four 2 hour edited videos one after the other in the same instance because I was editing between them for 4 DVDs. Now I want to move each DVD section to its own instance with the markers in their correct relative positions (with changed numbers in the new instance) so that I can then use Edit Details to export the chapter markers for use in DVD-Lab for authoring.

What I've been doing as a workaround is starting each DVD section at "00:00" locations like 04:00:00:00 and then editing the 04 to 00 in a text editor before importing to DVD-Lab. I guess there's no current easier way to do it.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #836

That's easy:

Delete all the stuff NOT in part 1, save as part 1.

Open the original project. Delete all the stuff NOT in part 2. Save as part 2.

Repeat for steps 3 and 4.

To get the markers to paste, you need to highlight the entire area by clicking on the square to the left of the column headers. Then you should be able to paste just fine.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #837
Regular Crew

Brilliantly simple - thanks Edward!

Coupled with post-edit ripple it does exactly what I need :)
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #838
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Emre Safak : DV is terrible for color correcting; it has very little chromatic information. Coming from 35mm no-one can convince me otherwise.

To answer your question... you need to use limiters (particularly for hue) to modify only a particular color. -->>>

And what colors might that be ? What settings should we use in Vagas CC to get cinelike colors from raw video footage ?

Thanks !
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #839
Regular Crew

Yes, Frank, your question is probably the most important here! That's what I mean exactly! Can somebody give an answer?
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #840
Regular Crew

Magic Bullet .mbl files

Ok, this is the file format of Magic Bullet Movie Looks - MBL.
But if I create my own preset named MyLook with Magic Bullet Editors, then I can't find a file MyLook.mbl
So, why is this so? What have I to do?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...