Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #916
Regular Crew

Yep, the export settings were still set to interlaced. It looks great now.

Thanks!
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #917
Trustee

How to import footage into Vegas

Do I need anything special or will Vegas recognize the camera and start importing the MPEG TS on its own? Thanks a lot.
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #918

Nope, Vegas currently cannot capture m2t streams. You'll need either DVHS, which is available all over the web (the VASST site has a link to an English version), or you can get Cineform Connect HD, which will capture the m2t stream and convert it to an .avi for best editing experience in Vegas.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #919
Sponsor: JET DV

I know there are a couple of keyboards available with Vegas keys. I don't have any links handy but seem to remember that some were stick-on keycodes where others were actually imprinted. I've never used one of the Vegas keyboards (which are really just regular keyboards with differently labeled keys).

I also remember that one of the keyboards had the "ALT" and "Windows" keys reversed for some reason. Many people were complaining about that.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #920
Regular Crew

Shift - B doesn't always work

I am running 1 1/2 GIG of RAM and frequently when I go to RAM Render the process starts and stops a split second later. It fails to render the entire selection.

I notice this when the demand on the rendering process is greater however I would not suspect that at these times I would be using more than the allotment of RAM I have apportioned to Vegas, which is the Max.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and if there is a cure?
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #921

Grazie discovered this problem and we found a solution:

Either CLOSE the Pan/Crop dialog you have open OR turn OFF Sync Cursor. (May have been Track Motion but I'm thinking it was Pan/Crop)
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #922
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ed, I will give that a try.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #923
Wrangler

Btw, Charley did I ever tell you Edward's the man?

Edward- Charley is my wedding videography assistant and Vegas convert...(thanks to me) mu hahahha!
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #924

I'll have to remember that!
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #925
Barry Wan Kenobi

Once you get the transport streams captured, you can then drop them right on the Vegas timeline. You may need to rename the files from *.ts to *.mpg, or when trying to import files, in the file selector box you may have to tell it to look for files named *.ts in order for them to show up.

As Douglas said, you need to use something like DVHS or Cineform to actually capture the footage from the camera, as that's the part that Vegas doesn't support yet. As for editing, Vegas can do that itself, or you can use Cineform to transcode the footage into a more-responsive edit-ready format.

Also, be sure to update to Vegas 5.0d, which includes updates that let you render out HDV-compatible transport streams. Then you can use Cineform to output those files back to tape for viewing on your HDTV.
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #926
Regular Crew

Creating a music CD with tracks

My first attempt in creating a playable music cd failed. The music plays but all the songs are in one track, so I can not skip tracks. :/ And before waisting a 2nd cd-r...

1) Once you put all the tracks in the timeline, is it Track-At-Once or Disc-At-Once?
2) And is there anything else you need to do in the timeline besides placing all the media in the timeline and Tools->Burn CD?

Thank you.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #927

Use "N" to create CD Tracks.

I always burn "Disc at once"

From the help file (to help speed up the CD track creation process)
Quote:
From the Tools menu, choose Lay Out Audio CD from Events to automatically create a CD layout for a disc-at-once audio CD. The CD layout bar is displayed and track regions are added.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #928
Major Player

Kevin,
Yes, there is more to do before you burn the CD.

Once you have all your audio tracks you need to double click each audio event/track event at its beginning and press N. A flag will come up above the event that will say, "Track 1", or "Track 2", etc. That will let you do the skipping around to different tracks once the CD is burned.

I think there is an automatic feature in Vegas 5 that will put the index points in for you. I'm a little foggy on this but I think it is,
TOOL > LAY OUT AUDIO CD FROM EVENTS. There is a catch though and this is why I don't use this feature. If you have events that overlap then Vegas won't put the marker in, that happened to me so I just do the "N" thing myself and that has worked without any problem.

I also mark the In point and the Out point of whatever I am going to burn but this may not be necesary.

Finally, I use the Disc-at Once burn and that has worked fine for me. Oh yes, with the Disc-at-Once you need to have exactly 2 seconds of dead space or silence at the beginning of the first track or you will get an error message.

Other than that, burning a CD is pretty straight forward. I have compiled quite a few CDs now of interviews and some music using Vegas 5 and they have all worked without any problem.

Hope this helps. Nick

P.S. Edward beat me to it while I was trying to think the process through. You can't get any better advice than what Edward suggests.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #929
Major Player

Frameserving HDV into Vegas or Premiere Pro as an "avi"...

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261416

PC Folks, the above tutorial is quite helpful in helping to realize a fast way to get your captured m2t's into the NLE timeline and apply effects, etc...

What's really crazy is you can combine this method with the frameserving out to Nero recode (see DSE's post re: frameserving - older topic) AT THE SAME TIME and save a whole whack of disk space... it seems to be faster, too...

I've been happy to edit m2t's natively in womble mpeg video wizard... it performs great on my sub-par HDV editing station...

Now I can frameserve full resolution m2t into Vegas or Premiere and quickly apply specialized effects like filters or color correction (ie. Magic Bullet Editors/Looks Suite), etc.

**Some important notes if you try the link above and follow the formula**

- re: dmgdec or whatever it's callled: read the "readme" re: transport streams after install - there's important notes there... use the "raw" detection method described...

- demux your audio rather than decode to wav in menu: only way to get mpa audio track for use in NLE extracted from m2t... wav doesn't seem to work...

This may be a good way to get your m2t's into After Effects...

Well, I just wanted to share something new - it works!

Enjoy, good luck...
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #930
Regular Crew

Same problem, any news from Cineform on support?

Hello Troy,
Ive got exactly the same issue with my PD1, every editing / video app ive tried sees the footage as half the speed and half the length on the timeline. The only one that doesn't is the cheap piece of **** by KDDI Labs which comes with the camera, the only file you can output from this is an mpeg file, which also is at much lower bitrate with no options over compression quality or bitrate changing.

does anyone know whats up with the video files from this camera? Seems to me like its a 50fps file which is a 25fps video stream with each frame duplicated twice, but then you would assume you just need to delete the duplicate frames in your editing app or play it back at 200% to get rid of the unwanted frames, but you do this and the video stops halfway and plays back at 12.5 fps.

Anyone know of a way to get the HI-RES footage off the camera at 25fps and convert it to an avi/quicktime file?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...