Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #961
Major Player

I used the Black Viper Super Tweaks last night and I like the feel of the computer. I have no benchmark except to note that it is faster.

I only have a gig of ram so I like to make sure that it's all working for me and Vegas - not for some strange process or service that I know nothing about.

With SAGER - I still need to go in and turn off the TV tuner, and quicktime, and...... but it's getting better all the time.

Thanks for the advice folks,

Milt Lee
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #962
Regular Crew

Excalibur

Hi Edward.

I'm doing a 3 cam edit, and I've put all my camera choices in, and run the tally update wizard. There are no points where there is no fottage selected prior to running the wizard, and when viewing the 4x4 PIP the blue border around the selected camera isn't there.

Therefore when I run the wizard to get a master track, there are gaps in it, and so the 4 x 4 PIP shows through on the master track.

I'm at my wit's end here, I've tried every thing I can think of, but I can't get the master track to be one complete track.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #963
Sponsor: JET DV

Not sure I'm completely picturing what you are describing. If you are not getting a tally in sections, then those sections will NOT have anything to transfer to the Master track.

There IS one quirk that you may be experiencing. Let's suppose you have something as follows:

aaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
cccccccccccccccccccccccc
dddddddddddddddddddd

In this case you have TWO events between markers 1 and 2. Assuming marker 1 is to use that track, "a" will be moved up but "b" will not. To get "b" to move, another marker would need to be located at the beginning of "b" also pointing to that same track.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #964
Regular Crew

Edward:

Thanks for the swift reply. It may be you've nailed it, i'll try it when I get home, and let you know.

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #965
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by James Binder : What else is out there to control Vegas? -->>>

For pure 'coolness' look at this shuttle:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

Not as functional as the Shuttle Xpress or the Shuttle Pro, but it's much more fashionable than either, so you got to ask yourself the Billy Crystal question:

'Do you want to look marvelous or be marvelous.'
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #966
Major Player

Editing nightmares?

Hey all.....Just got done shooting lots of footage for my little movie I'm invloved in.

How do most of you edit? I've done certain things in Vegas but nothing very long or complicated.

I ask this, because I also think I'm going to use Adobe After FX Magic Bullet and maybe even some of those effects in AE but I've read that going straight to 24p is best, but that seems insane.

Taking like 150 seperate files and rendering them all to 24p without editing them first.....yikes. All this without knowing exactly how your going to edit everything together...just seem like a huge waste of time. Would it make sense to at least edit a scene together, then output in Vegas back to DV, then go into AE to make that sequence 24p?

Then making the music for the whole movie is a pain as well. You could do it sequence by sequence or make the entire movie and do it that way too. That's another story though.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #967
Major Player

Are you going to edit in HDV format? Or edit in Downconverted DV?

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #968
Inner Circle

I don't know if my memory serves me right, but I tried disabling services as suggested by the black viper site and benchmarked it with rendertest.veg and found no difference. I may have had the indexing service off already, so that may have made a difference. (That service may be worth turning off.)

Maybe disabling services does make a difference, but I cannot tell. What benchmark did you try?

Disabling startups did make a small difference for me (a few percent). qttask and realshed should go, although if you run either QT or Real Player those startups will come back.

Disabling startups willy-nilly via msconfig isn't necessarily safe, but your computer will boot slightly faster, you'll have less icon clutter, and you'll get rid of the nagging thought that startups may be slowing your computer down (psychological benefit, not a real benefit). Sometimes it may improve performance by maybe one percent.

Antivirus: You could leave it on and disable real-time scanning (or whatever your program calls it). It generally hampers performance in a noticeable way.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #969
Major Player

Oh, I forgot to mention it's just DV format from my GL2.
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #970
New Boot

Is Vegas+DVD the best option for 24P editing?

Especially considering the fact that you can make 24P DVDs with Vegas+DVD?
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #971

The BEST? I can't say - I haven't tried any others. A good one? Absolutely. Also remember Vegas was a leader in 24p support.
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #972
Regular Crew

Need Burning CD Help

I have failed at two attempts to create an audio CD with 1 track.

The first attempt, I highlighted the track and went TOOLS>BURN CD> Track-at-Once.

On the last attempt, I went to TOOL > LAY OUT AUDIO CD

which placed a start/finish track flags. I also highlighted
the track and went TOOLS>BURN CD>DISC-AT-ONCE. After finishing process, the dialog box said CD Burning complete without error, BUT there was no track on CD.

I need Help. Any suggestions? Could it be faulty CD-Rs?

P
Old March 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #973

I have the procedure I use laid out in Vol 1 #10 of my newsletter.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #974
New Boot

Did anyone tinker with MIDI controllers?
There is a great one from Behringer. Ok they are a bit flimsy but i use them for Cubase.
Has any one tried to use a generic Midi controller in Vegas
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #975
New Boot

MIDI in VEGAS

Did anyone tinker with MIDI controllers?
There is a great one from Behringer. Ok they are a bit flimsy but i use them for Cubase.
Has any one tried to use a generic Midi controller in Vegas?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...