Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 69 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1021
Sponsor: JET DV

To apply them to ALL events, you may get unexpected results - especially if you have added any effects along the way, but you can try:

Add the pan/crop to the first event, copy that event, choose the remaining events, right-click and choose "Paste Event Attributes".

However, you're much better off doing as suggested and applying a mask on a new track above these events.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #1022

It really depends on what you want to do with them. For example, if you just want a single file containing the entire time lapse section, then you definitely want to turn scene detection off.

However, you may only want a couple frames out of each event and all of them placed on the timeline as separate events. In this case you might want each to be a separate event that a script could modify.

So, basically, I'm saying use the mode that best fits your need for any given point in time.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #1023
Regular Crew

Hi Edward. I found out it was much easier to just have one clip. So many clips is just unmanagable to save. And if you just want a few frames or even one per sequence, you just speed the footage up in your NLE.

I got great results doing it that way.

Frank
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #1024
Regular Crew

16:9 question

Ok here we go. I used an XL2 with true 16:9 turned on, as well as three dvx100s with fake 16:9. I need to combine all the cams together into one track but want to keep the quality as best as possible. I read in the manual that you can just drop a 16:9 track into the timeline of a 4:3 project and it will adjust, which it did, but I have also read that you should ALWAYS keep your footage in a project the same as you footage to maintain quality.

If I use a 16:9 project to account for the xl2 footage, the dvx footage looks doubely letterboxed, it stretches it, and has the black bars wich were recorded onto the picture, unknown to me untill after the fact.

My question is, how would you combine the two and keep the best quality? should i use a 4:3 project or a 16:9 project? Or other. Thanks! oh ya its all 24p and will mainly if not completly, be viewed on 4:3 tvs.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1025

Sounds to me like the DVX footage isn't being interpreted as 16:9. What if you right-click the DVX footage, go to properties, and change the settings there? Then does it work in a 16:9 project?
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1026
Major Player

Two Audio Questions...

First question:

Does the audio portion of a video DVD audio have to be 48khz in it’s final state? Or can it be 44.1khz? Further, can both sample rates co-exist on a DVD? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I still need to ask!

I’ve rendered the audio portion of my video at 44.1khz -- will it have to be resample up to 48khz on the final DVD?

Why did I do that you ask? Because of my second question…

Second Question:

I’ve used ‘match media settings’ under project properties…

I pointed to a project file for the settings to match up to, clicked on it…

Then I check under project properties>audio tab – I get a sample rate of 44.1. The video/audio track captured (the one I clicked on) is 48khz – why does this not change automatically (like the video settings do) to match that of my captured audio?

Further, after rendering to mpeg2 with layer 2 audio 48khz, I get an audible hum. If I render the audio portion to 44.1 – no hum. It sounds as it does within Vegas.

I don’t understand what’s going on here. If the file in the media pool didn’t say that the audio portion of the video file was 48khz, I’d say that it was a sample conversion problem. But, both the original and rendered are 48khz – It doesn’t make sense.

Does the setting under ‘project settings’ have something to do with this. I’ve tried changing it to 48khz and rendering at 48khz audio and I still get the hum…

Any ideas? I’ve searched the board for help with this problem and came up empty…

Thanks all!
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1027
Regular Crew

Ok, turns out that my footage from the dvx was shot LETTERBOXED. Which is actually 4:3 with black bars correct? I dont own a dvx just xl2 so Im not sure. If thats the case, then will stretching to match the 16:9 of the xl2 result in loss of resolution?

And if it will loose quality, which Im not up for doing, should I edit in 4:3 with the letterboxed black bars and import the 16:9 footage into the project ? How much quality will I loose from the xl2 footage, if any, in doing this?

I captured the XL2 stuff as 16:9 and the DVX as 4:3.

Sorry for so many question but Im slightly panicing that this all wont match up. thanks
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1028
Regular Crew

Two Questions About Vegas 5 Editing

Hello everybody,
I want to know:
1. In the most DV cameras there is an effect "slow motion 10x". This effect is like a slow motion in real time. But how to make it with Vegas 5?
2. How to edit frame-by-frame on the timeline in Vegas 5? Or to play frame-by-frame?
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #1029
Major Player

Plamen,

1. To create slow-motion there are two options I can think of:
a. Hover the mouse over the right edge of you video event on the timeline (you'll see the cursor turn into a square with a double-arrow in it), press and hold the CTRL button down, the click and drag the event to the right (or left) in effect stretching it out. You will see a zig-zag line appear in down the horizontal center of your video event.
b. The other option permits you to control the speed of sections of the clip and not just slo-mo the whole clip. Right click the video event on the timeline and go down to "Insert/Remove Envelope" and select "Velocity". That will place a Velocity envelope line through the center of the horizontal axis of your video event. Double-click at the point along the line that you want to slow-down the video. Then double-click just to the right of that. This should leave you with a green line with two 'knots' in it. Now go to the place you want the video to resume normal speed and double-click, then double-click to create another 'knot' right next to that one. Now click on the green line in the middle of the four 'knots' and drag the green line down (how much you pull down is how slow it will play; you can even make it reverse).

2. To edit frame by frame, just put your mouse on an video or audio event on the timeline and push the scroll button on your mouse upward. Keep scrolling up to expand the timeline until you see the individual frames (you'll see the timecode legend read 00:31:26.15, where the .15 is the frame count). Then just use your left and right arrows to move along the timeline one full frame at a time.

If I'm off much in my descriptions, there are enough pros onboard they'll correct this quickly. Happy editing!
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #1030
Inner Circle

In Vegas, hold down alt and then press an arrow key left or right. The playhead will move in increments of 1 frame. Also turn on "quantitize to frames" unders options drop-down menu or alt+f8 if you want to edit in increments of a frame (instead of sub-frame editing, which is geared towards audio).
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #1031
Regular Crew

Newbie needs help with panning and zooming

Hello all-

Been messing with vegas 5 for a few days now. Can somebody take me step by step to properly use the zoom and the pan effects please......?

Ah, and also using "keyframes" perhaps. Thanks in advance!!
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #1032

I have that all pretty well explained in various articles in my newsletter (see link below my name).

Unfortunately, to fully explain takes much more space that a simple post has room for. Generally speaking:

1) Use Pan/Crop to pan or crop images/video
2) Use Track Motion to resize and move images/video
3) Use keyframes to have them move over time.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #1033
Regular Crew

To edit an event's in or out point a frame at a time, use the numeric keypad.

7 or 9 puts you into edit mode (7= in, 9 = out). You will see the edge turn red. Edit with the 1 and 3 keys.

Gary
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1034
Regular Crew

pause/resume rendering?

i think that i may need to reformat my computer, a project i take on about every 7-8 months to optimize performance, b/c it seems that the projects that i am rendering in vegas are taking much longer than they use to, which i attribute to a sloppy os.

i think i already know the answer, but there isnt a way to pause and resume a render, is there?

i have a 2.2 xeon, with 512mb of rdram, couple hundred gigs of hdd space.

was working on a 1 hr avi file, tried to render down to an mpg1 for some proofing, and it took like 15 hours. this doesnt sound normal to me. maybe its been a while since I have worked with files of this size, and just dont recall the time it took but it sure seems like its taking much longer than before.

thoughts?
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #1035

There is no way to pause a render. You COULD render in sections.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...