Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #1126
Sponsor: JET DV

It's working again now.
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #1127
Regular Crew

Hello

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to those I know from the Sony forums and to those that aren't, I look foward to meeting and conversing with you.

Hopefully this forum is as fun and informative as the Sony forum and I will try to do my part in making this place both.

Patrick
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #1128

Welcome, Patrick. This is a good group of people here. I certainly think it's fun and informative!
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #1129
Regular Crew

multi camera editing

1st off, want to say thanks to all the other vegas users out there who have answered questions along the way. have made working much more effecient.

now for the question:

i did a shoot of a concert with 3 dv cams. what is a good way to edit these together? i have done some similar shots on a linear system, where i could see all the shots on seperate monitors and basically did a live to tape type deal.

i am sure there is an effecient way to do this on vegas, where i can view all 3 cams @ the same time and grap the shots i want as i see them?

enlighten me?
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1130

I have listed 4 methods for doing this in vol 1 issue 9 of my newsletter (link under my name). The absolute EASIEST way is by using Excalibur 4 (do a search here)
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1131
Regular Crew

Definitely nice to see a familiar face here and Ed is a stand up guy so I know this forum will be awesome.
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1132
Regular Crew

I can definitely vouch for Ed's program. Excalibur makes multicam editing easier than pie. I think the new version allows up to 33 cams to edit plus tons of other stuff. Awesome program.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1133

All versions have had the same upper camera limit. Each version has simply made the process easier and easier. The basic limit is the number of letters minus "M" plus the numbers for a total of 35. There are presets for up to 25.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #1134
Regular Crew

fantastic.

again, thanks!
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #1135
Major Player

Here's the link: http://mikecrash.wz.cz/

Good luck.

Dennis
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #1136
Trustee

Problems with Vegas and ConnectHD

So I'm using ConnectHD for Vegas and getting wierd results. Bad splotchiness. I'm not using VirtualDub as before - just straight Vegas. Also using the VASST preset - still happens.

Here's the problem. I take footage compressed into CFHD by Vegas. No problem there. Vegas does a fine job of converting the footage (as does the Cineform converter).

As soon as I do any processing on the footage, though, i.e., any recompression, I get bad splotchiness. See these pictures:

http://www.mooreusa.net/example1.jpg
http://www.mooreusa.net/example2.jpg

Example 1 is normal. Example 2 is minor reprocessing and recompression. Look at the splotchiness on the walls.

This is unusable. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? I use the VASST preset - still has problems. I save as uncompressed AVI - no problem. Any other codec, for that matter - no problem.

Is this a problem inherent in CFHD? Does multiple recompression to CFHD cause this routinely? Is there another codec I could use that would withstand recompression?

Thanks for any help.

Peter
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1137
Trustee

You know what? Screw this. I'm using QuickTime MJPEG-A at 100% quality. It's the same file size as ConnectHd and free and works perfectly.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1138
Tourist

tranparent color

Hello Folks, Does anyone know if in Vegas 5, I can render a clip, with the color of the blue or green screen designated as transparent. This would allow me to convert it in other software to an SWF movie file and use it as an overlay with another scene as background in Flash. Thanks, Pete.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1139
Slash Rules!

Windows Media, realplayer not recognizing a codec. . .or something

So I have two short films at this time that are over five minutes. When I attempt to play these, as AVI files, in Realplayer or Windows Media player, the time on both files is listed as 4:42.

These AVIs were created in Vegas 4, with the NTSC DV Codec. I'm wondering if there's a better codec to use in Vegas when making an AVI?

I wouldn't care that much except that it affects my Roxio DVD builder software, causing those movies to stop playing at the 4:42 mark.
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1140
Inner Circle

I assume your target destination is Flash.

Flash may not handle video with transparency all that well (performance issues). It does handle video, and it does handle transparency.

If you want to get something into Flash, use a format that has an alpha channel or supports transparency (I use the two terms interchangeably; there might be some technical difference between the two words that I don't know of).

Still formats:
TGA
GIF
PNG

Video formats:
Quicktime with Animation codec
AVI with animation codec
Vegas: uncompressed with custom setting to enable alpha channel. (warning: very big files!!!)

I don't think the animation codec is in Vegas.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...