Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1141
Regular Crew

I'm not sure if I understand what's wrong but Windows Media Player does not like AVI files.

For playback on media player, render as a WMV file. For DVD, you eventually want to generate a MPEG-2 file. Vegas has options to encode all these formats.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #1142
Slash Rules!

Well, when I build the DVDs, I just link the titles to the AVI files, and Roxio does the MPEG rendering. The results so far have been fine quality-wise, except for this issue.

Sorry if I didn't explain well enough.

When I burn the DVDs, Roxio is, for some reason, not recognizing that the files are longer than 4:42. When you play the movie from the DVD, at 4:42 it just ends.

So you guys think I should render the MPEG-2s first?
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1143
Trustee

FYI, QuickTime seems to be working well. A little slower than CFHD, but fine otherwise.

I thought CFHD was supposed to be so good. But even after using HDLink to convert the M2Ts, I notice a distict quality difference between that and the original M2T and between CFHD versus QuickTime MJPEG-A. QT is so much better and the same file size. Again, I ask, am I doing something wrong or does CFHD just suck with multi-generational compressing?
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1144
Regular Crew

Thanks Dennis, I will check it out.
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #1145
Trustee

If you have DVD Architect, you should probably render them first because the Mainconcept codec in Vegas is supposed to be one of the better ones. I do not know what Roxio uses...
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #1146
Regular Crew

IMHO, Cineform just sucks. I render my stuff out to Sony YUV and I dont see any quality loss as you do with Cineform. Maybe a tad bit bigger but quality is what you want to keep. I am assuming NAB will answer our problems.
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #1147
Sponsor: JET DV

Josh, it sounds like the other programs are limited to 1 Gig. 4:42 is the length of time for 1 Gig.

The AVI files I make in Vegas play back just fine for the entire length. Perhaps you're not using the built-in Sony codec? I don't know what settings you've changed. You can revert Vegas back to default by holding down CTRL-SHIFT while you start Vegas.

Also, why are you using Roxio to encode to MPEG2? The MPEG2 encoder in Vegas is better. Just encode in Vegas. Also, you will get better results building the DVD in DVD Architect than Roxio. Do you have DVD Architect?
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1148
Slash Rules!

Don't own any version of DVD architect.

I gotta tell you, except for this issue, the DVDs coming out of Roxio have been flawless. Great picture quality, etc.

As I said, I'm using the NTSC DV codec when I create these AVIs. If there's a better one, let me know.

I'm loathe to reset everything to default 'cause I'll lose all my custom stuff, but I'll try it.

If I encode the MPEG-2s in Vegas, what settings do you guys recommend? Roxio does it all for me, so I have no idea what it's doing. I just know it looks, for all intents and purposes, on all the TVs I've watched on, like it's not compressed it all, (though I know it is). Looks real good.
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #1149
Regular Crew

Deleting time and inserting with markers?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't seem to find the answer.

I can insert time but I can't find where I can delete time (in a section where there are no events on the timeline) - like where I want to move the whole movie closer to 00:00:00:00 without having my chapter markers change their relative positions. Delete with ripple only seems to work with events.

Also, when I insert time, the chapter markers do lose their positions - is there any way to lock markers to timeline events? And to move events with their markers?

Thanks,

Tony
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #1150
Regular Crew

Vegas 6 And DVDA 3 - NAB Streams Update

All SONY Vegas and DVD Achitect software users are welcome to view the streaming videos of the major new releases of Vegas 6 and DVDA 3 from NAB.

The streams will contain four full length 45 minutes each SONY classroom seminar sessions that will cover all of the new features and upgrades of Vegas 6 and DVDA 3.

The Vegas 6 and DVDA 3 streams are being produced by the SCVUG at SONY's request and will be available to view on Tuesday April 19th.

Click Here to Register to see the Vegas 6 and DVDA 3 streams
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1151
Inner Circle

Double click in the gap between events. Hit del on your keyboard.

If you have auto-ripple turned on, it will do one of three ripples. I suggest turning auto-ripple off.

With auto-ripple off, a arrow will show up on the top of the timeline. Hit Crtl Shift F to ripple EVERYTHING: Events and markers on all tracks.

There's no way to lock markers to timeline events unless the markers are in the clips. You can however maintain sync by using the right ripple.
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #1152
Regular Crew

Thanks very much Glenn, that did it :)

I also found that I could move the markers in a group if I pressed CTRL or SHIFT so that helps too.
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1153
Sponsor: JET DV

I have the settings I use in Vol 1 #7 of my newsletter.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #1154
Trustee

Thanks Patrick for the only reply. :) I like Sony YUV too but the file size is just too huge. QT MJPEG-A has no perceptible loss in quality after one generation. I'll try other generations but I think this is the way to go.
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #1155
Major Player

Jay, it's great that you folks are doing this. How long will the streams be up?

Good luck.

Dennis
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...