Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 79 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1171
Wrangler

Rendering Behavior going out to WMV?

Noticed tonight in my Vegas 5 that when I render a section of footage out to WMV9 it renders in little spirts. In other words I'll see animation in the preview window for a second ...then a pause...then more animation....then a pause.

It wasn't long before I noticed the "frame" numbering in the video preview window and that it was pausing after every 30 frames rendered. Is this normal...for it to render in little steps like this when going to WMV? If so, I must have never noticed it before.
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1172
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Mitchell : Dennis,

I can't resist saying "Until Vegas 7 arrives"

Thanks,

Jay -->>>

Very good. I'll be away when they first go up and plan to check them out a bit later. I guess the silver lining is that I'll avoid the rush and crush on your servers.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #1173
Sponsor: JET DV

Yep, I see the same thing.
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #1174
Regular Crew

I've routinely noticed this when printing to tape, I haven't seen it when rendering to WMV (mainly due to the fact that I don't ever render to WMV).

BTW - love your highlight reels. I've dragged my wife over to the computer to look at them. You are adding some creative legitimacy to what she views as my harmless (albeit expensive) runaway hobby...

You mean I can get paid to do this?
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #1175
Wrangler

Hey thanks Edward.

John, thank you- I'm getting ready to upload another one in the wedding/event videography forum today. Well this time a "first dance" segment.
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1176
New Boot

'Easing into' a Keyframe

Is there a way to apply a gradual stop at the end of a pan in Vegas? I am doing the 'Ken Burns' thing to a series of photos by changing the position and size over the timeline, but I'd like it to slowly ease into the final keyframe — right now, it stops abruptly.

I've done this in After Effects by right-clicking on the keyframe and choosing 'ease-in' or similar; when I right-click on the keyframe in Vegas I see selections like Slow, Smooth, etc., but they seem to have little to no effect on the motion.

How would I do this?

Thanks
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #1177
New Boot

Changing Opacity of a Clip Over Time

I see how to set the opacity of a clip by manually adjusting the white bar to the desired opacity amount for the length of the entire clip, but how would I set keyframes to change the opacity percentage over the course of a clip's duration? I've tried to insert points on the opacity bar with no luck.
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1178

Add a composite envelope to the track. It works like a volume envelope except it affect opacity.
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1179

You want the proper keyframe setting (such as "slow") but you also have to have the "Smoothness" setting set appropriately. Is the "smoothness" setting on 1?
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1180
New Boot

Thanks, Edward. Is that done through the FX plug-ins?
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1181
New Boot

I will have to check that when I get home. I didn't know there was a smoothness setting for 'Slow,' I thought the option was either Slow or Smooth - not both.

I'll check it tonight.

Thank you
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1182

"Smoothness" is one of the settings on the left side. If you haven't changed that setting, it defaults to 1. At that setting it should "ease" into the keyframe.
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1183
New Boot

As I recall, the options for the interpolation curve are Linear, Fast, Slow, Smooth, Sharp, and Hold. So to achieve the effect I'm after — (pan on a still image ending with a gradual deaccelerated stop) — I should select Slow? I've already used that setting and have not gotten the desired result.

You also said the Smoothness defaults to 1 which should do what I want. I wouldn't even know how to change the smoothness on the Slow setting . . . you said it's on the left side -- I'll have to check that out because I'm not sure what you mean. How would I change the smoothness setting when using Slow?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1184
Major Player

DVDA will suddenly not Make DVDs (solved)

This program has been working for a long time. It worked on Friday. I have not made any changes to my computer since then, not even OS updates. Now when I try to "Make DVD" the program just freezes with 100% processor utilization until I kill it in Task Manager. I have support question in to Sony, but does anyone have any ideas?

I could not delete thread, but I solved it. FWIW, I removed a blank DVD from the DVD drive and all is well. I hate Sony.
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #1185
Regular Crew

Right-click the video track header and choose Insert/Remove Envelope>Composite level.

Gary
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...