Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #106
Major Player

Couple small issues

When I use the pan crop tool my crop guide disappears and I can't seem to get it back. This usually happens when skipping around a clip. I solved this once before but have since forgotten how and the hlp file didn't provide me with a solution.

Also, after importing and trimming in the timeline an audio file I am not able to insert and volume envelope. No option appears in the right click menu. This hasn't happened before.

Any help wold be appreciated. Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #107
Major Player

New system Time

I'm pretty sure I want to go Athlon 64. Possibly Dual. I'm having trouble finding motherboards that will support Dual 64's though. Would it be major overkill to go dual 64's? I'm thinking around 2-4gb Ram, pair of 300gb sata's (to start).

This system is going to be purely for vegas. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #108
Inner Circle

1- Which filters are you using for color correction?
2- What format is your project and source footage? (i.e. NTSC DV)
3- Are you rendering in "good" quality?
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #109
Inner Circle

Would it be major overkill to go dual 64's?
Check the dual processor thread... dual processors don't help Vegas that much except on:
A- Simple renders.
B- MPEG2 encoding.
C- Multiple instances of Vegas open.
D- ??? Network rendering to your own computer.

On the Sony site's Vegas forum, there are also rendertest.veg results (rendertest.veg is a benchmark). Prescott-core Pentiums seem to be the fastest right now. Canterwood-core Pentiums (6% slower than same clock speed Prescott) and AMD64 processors run neck to neck, although Pentiums are faster at MPEG2 encoding. In real world renders you may also see Pentiums pull slightly ahead by a few percent since rendertest.veg doesn't use hyperthreading (Pentium feature) as much as real world renders do.

I haven't checked the Sony forums in a while so rendertest.veg results may be different.

2- Lots of motherboard support opterons, the server version of the AMD64 processors. There are single, dual, and quad processor models (1xx, 2xx, and 4xx series). i.e. you can 2 opteron 242s and stick em in one of the many motherboards that support them.

3- A prescott-core Pentium is your best bang for your buck performance wise, although there are hidden costs such as electricity and slightly less reliability (Prescotts run really hot).

Dual processors are really pricey for a very marginal increase in speed. You need to get the really high clock speed ones to get a system that is faster than a single processor machine. A 3.2ghz Pentium may/will be able to outperform dual 2.8ghz Xeons on many renders.

4GB of RAM may be overkill and not worth your money if it means buying expensive 1GB sticks instead of 512MB ones. How much RAM you need for Vegas is debatable... you can search on this forum and others.
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #110
Regular Crew

1. im using the colour correction filter it also does it when i black bar the clips.

2. the footage is all Pal DV 4:3
3. rendering is set to best
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:06 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Why Choose Vegas ????

I currently am using Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6 and Adobe Premiere. I see a lot of people here are using Vegas and would like to know what Vegas users feel are the key features that make Vegas their NLE of choice over other PC programs such as Premiere Pro, Avid Xpress Pro, Canopus or Liquid Edition 6.

I have been researching and found some great training info on Vegas as well.

Vasst Training Products (lots of goodies Douglas Spotted Eagle and more)
http://www.vasst.com/training_products.htm

David Jimerson Celluloid & ReelPak-1
http://www.vasst.com/celluloid.htm

Gary Kleiner's Site
http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com/

Edward Troxel Vegas Scripting and Training
http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/

Thanks,

Ray
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #112
Sponsor: JET DV

What do you mean by the "crop guide"?

The volume envelope is TRACK level. To turn it on, just press "V" after clicking on the event.
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #113

You've gotten LOTS of answers over the various forums on which you posted this question. The brief summary seems to be:

Audio
Stability
Scripting
Compositing abilities
Logical Workflow
Active/helpful forums
etc...
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #114
Regular Crew

You're right Ed, and in addition to the features, the forum support and energy is first class. Most vegas users are extremely pleased and excited about Vegas. I can't say that for some of the others.

Regards,

Ray
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Making a song end with my video(Slow down or speed up)

Can I slighty slow or speed up a Song to match my video? I know if i do to much it will sound funny but i have heard they do this to radio broadcasts to gain more time. Is it possible with vegas 5?
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #116
Major Player

We use to do this with a Ampex VPR 3 and an audio device that synthesized the audio as to match the video. In a 1/2 hr. show you could pick up :30 seconds so that the sales dept. could sell another spot in a 1/2 hr. show

I think this was dun by the VPRs TBC dropping a field of video every second

You can tell if a show has been “compressed” when the camera made a pan left or right as the camera panned the video would seem to skip we did this for a time to some syndicated shows but I think the producers found out about it and threatened legal action
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #117

Hold down the CTRL key and resize the clip. This will allow you to speed it up or slow it down.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Enhanced support for Sony HDR-FX1 camcorder in Sony Vegas update

This morning we released an updated version of Sony Vegas 5 that contains:

1) HDV project templates
2) HDV source file interpretation
3) HDV render templates for Sony HDV-compliant 1080-60i and 1080-50i HDV MPEG-2

The good news here is you can now get your HDV projects back to Sony HDV cameras and decks.

Download the Vegas 5 update here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=496

If you already have Vegas 5, it's a free update. If you don't, you can use it as a free trial.

Of course, it works well with CineForm Connect HD, also available from the website for a reduced price.

Happy New Year, and Happy Editing.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #119
Major Player

Re: Enhanced support for Sony HDR-FX1 camcorder in Sony Vegas update

Thought I'd mention that Vegas still (even with this update) does not capture from the FX-1 (or HD10u for that matter), so you still need a capture utility.

Canopus and Ulead are releasing HDV capture capable updates of their software that will lure away those looking to Sony's own NLE flagship Vegas for an integrated solution....and all down to the inability to capture from the cam.

As the capture of HDV is still inoperative in Vegas, I'd also assume writing back to the FX-1 is achieved.....how?

Despite ConnectHD having these capabilities, I'd still much prefer to do it all through Vegas.

On the bright side.... HDV performance seems to be 'snappier'.
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #120
Major Player

By crop fuide I mean the dashed lines with the "f" in the middle that denote the viewing area.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...