Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1201
Inner Circle

Once video clips all the detail is lost and there's nothing you can do about it.

If it's not quite overexposed, there will be detail in the knee that you can rescue.

If the footage has clipped, there are still some things you can do.
A- Add the color corrector and pull down the gain so the video ends up in the legal range.
B- Make the overexposure look intentional/artistic.
C- Before the colors hit clipping, they may have a color shift. You may be able to use the secondary color corrector to bring down the saturation of those colors.

2- The Xl1s should have zebras, manual exposure, and autoexposure shift. If you know how to use these features you can easily avoid overexposure.

For stage productions, set the AE shift to make the image darker as stage productions usually use high contrast lighting. Auto-exposure will try to expose for the average (both shadows and highlights), which means highlights get blown out.

You can also set exposure manually, which can avoid this problem too.

When shooting, make sure the zebras don't appear over important detail.

Quote:
The GL2 footage is nice apart from the fact the lighting guy didn't remove coloured gels on some of the lights.
You shouldn't be asking him to do that?
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1202

sometimes, using a compositing child duplicate track set to "multilply" mode, really brings out highlight detail that you thought was lost.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #1203
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Lafferty : Not to derail the thread, but I see you're in Baton Rouge -- ever heard of a guy named Kevin Kuperman ("kup")? -->>>

I do not.

Should I? Am always looking to meet ppl w. similar interests.

Back to the monitors:

One thing I noticed is that when I went from 2k to XP, the dual screens has been problematic. The spanning used to be controled by ATI's Hydravision app, which is installed on my XP box also, but the spanning is now done by XP's display properties instead of ATI. And if I tell it to span my desktop to both monitors it will do it, but the task bar only runs the length of the primary monitor, and the 2ndary is just blank background until I put something on that screen. When ATI did it with 2k, the taskbar spanned both monitors. So, I dunno. Prolly go back to 2k anyway.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1204
Major Player

He was until recently a DJ from around there - an old friend, too.

About HydraVision -- nVidia's cards have a similar app that run dual monitors -- I'd suggest re-installing your vidcard's setup utilities and fool around with them before jumping back to 2k. There's no way the control panel in XP will be as versatile as the apps associated with the card...

- jim
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #1205
Regular Crew

Sony's DVD Architect

/Not really about Vegas, but...

I really like Vegas's ability to work within Sound Forge, especially with the AUDIO TAKE options.

After spending about a week in Architect, I cant seem to find that seemless intergration.

I am probably missing something, but there seems that there has to be a way to adjust the volume for the menus in DVDA. But I cant seem to find it. So I am opening soundforge, lowering the volume, then replacing the audio.

Where's the shortcut??

image:

http://bouncebooking.com/temp/dvda.jpg
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #1206
Inner Circle

To the best of my knowledge thats the only way to adjust the DVDA volume BUT with DVDA3 coming out in about a week and since nobody in the know is talking about whats new in it you might want to wait until DVDA3 comes out to see if they've changed that.

Don
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1207
Regular Crew

Editing XL2 footage

I am going to be using an XL2 for the first time in 2 weeks and have a question about the editing of it all. First of all, I am simply recording an indoor play. What frame rate should I shoot at? 60i, 30p, or 24p. Then, having determined that, how do I edit it. Do I have to change my project properties to accomodate it? If you could help me out with that, that would be fantastic.

MITCH
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #1208
Inner Circle

If you want to make life easy for yourself, shoot 60i or 30p. 30p arguably gives film-like motion, without strobiness and is easy to edit.

You don't have to change any project properties to edit it. If you encode the footage, be sure to 'tell' the encoder your footage is progressive (many encoders assume your footage is progressive and work best with progressive footage).
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #1209
Sponsor: JET DV

You do all of your editing in VEGAS. You adjust the volume level in Vegas. You then render to the appropriate files and load those into DVDA already adjusted. DVDA builds the DVD, Vegas edits the video and audio.
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1210
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : You do all of your editing in VEGAS. You adjust the volume level in Vegas. You then render to the appropriate files and load those into DVDA already adjusted. DVDA builds the DVD, Vegas edits the video and audio. -->>>

Yea.

Just some of the stuff is just a static menu. A background, a link and audio...
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1211
Wrangler

Better Processor for Vegas 6- AMD or Intel

Intel 660 3.8ghz
or
AMD Athlon FX-55

According to Tom's Hardware tests for the Main Concept Encoder the 3.8 is the way to go. However- Vegas 6 might have new optimizations to take advantage of the AMD.
Old April 16th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #1212
Major Player

Wait for the dual cores...
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1213
Inner Circle

The rendertest.veg results show that Intel has a slight lead. They run neck to neck though.

You can find rendertest.veg results if you search hard enough at the Sony Sony Vegas forums (at the Sony site). Keep in mind, Intel released the Prescott-core Pentiums which are ~6% faster than Canterwood-core (old) Pentiums, so the newest results are the most relevant.

I would expect Vegas 6 is give Intel a boost since Vegas 6 boasts better multi-processor support. Vegas never took advantage of dual processors and hyperthreading well... it should with Vegas 6. Rendertest.veg was also slightly stacked in AMD's favor by a few percent because of that (less complex renders would see more benefit from hyperthreading).

It would seem the best performing system now is a dual Xeon (with the equivalent Prescott-core Xeon... I forget what's it's called... Norcona or something). With Vegas 6, it should be a good deal faster than a single processor system.

If that's too expensive, get a moderately-priced single processor system to string you along (i.e. 3.4ghz). Keep in mind, dual cores may be expensive when they first come out.

As always, it's a good idea to buy a few steps down from top of the line as the bleeding edge is ridiculously overpriced and computer speed doubles about every 2 years (or 18 months). It's also a good idea not to wait for the next best thing because then the next next best thing will be just around the corner...
Old April 16th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1214
Inner Circle

without gettin into trouble a dual xeon config with a raid HDD array and at least 2gb of ram would be more than enough to edit HDV

now with the dual core cpus coming out, i feel that the new 955 chipset would be worth waiting for if only for the price factor alone..

not everyone can afford a 6000k workstation...

personally id rather pay a lil less for cpu power (or pay less for a single cpu altogether), get a Mobo which has 1066fsb, increase the ram as high as i could, and that in turn would increase my pagefile... so i then i know that my rendering will have enough bandwidth and grunt to be processed quickly...
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #1215
Regular Crew

Neither. Go for dual processors or dual core, esp. considering that the next version of Vegas is going to be multi-threaded.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...