Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 85 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1261
Inner Circle

hey Jim, checkout Doug's sticky with regard to the new features :)

he goes into detail about tagging and bagging (as i like to call it ;) )

the best thing about these tags is that u can have 2 or 3 people working on a project, using a shared HDD array and have all the media logfiled.. so u can have 2 ppl working offline and one working online for the master... Very effective way to work a studio... its been done before (cough Avid cough cough), but it works :)
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #1262
Trustee

Ed, I've got 6a Build 99 and it won't import MXF. The Sony guys at the Sony Media forums said it was only a tech demo.

However I do find it odd that you have seen someone using 6a Build 99 importing MXF. I've checked and double checked my version.

Ed, could you do some double checking on this for me?
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1263
Sponsor: JET DV

You have to add all the media to the project a SECOND time and then end action each to the next.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #1264

When the help file was opened on that machine today, it said "Vegas 6.0a build 99". All I know is that MXF files were being dragged directly to the timeline. It WAS mentioned that only "full quality is currently supported". Maybe that's the difference?
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1265

Here's a reply from Sony on the Sony Forum:

We have been demonstrating this as a technology preview (elsewhere and at NAB), but this feature is not currently shipping.
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1266
Old Boot

Colin, this isn't good.

OK, just so that we are all on the same "page", I have my TEMP on my C: drive.

1/- Can you try another DV device? If we can dup the issue with that then it would point to a setup: Cammie, cable, connector at cammie or to your f/w card.

Pref Settings:

Capture Tab
2/- Min Clip = 1 second

3/- Cap start delay 5 seconds

4/- Delay if already playing = Checked

5/- Custom frame rate = 25(PAL) .. . this is for me in UK

6/ Master stream = None

General Tab
7/ - Everything clicked EXCEPT "Make spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" . .this is unchecked

8/- Recently Used = 6

Advanced Capture Prefs

9/- All boxes checked, with pre-roll = 5 secs

Preview

Pixel aspect ratio = 1.0926 (PAL)

This is my setup. You got anything different? If you are NTSC then you'd have that going for you!

You could try capturing via Windows Movie Maker. Again if you can, then it will point towards Vegas. If you can't, then Vegas is almost certainly out of the loop. See if you can capture with this.

Are you connected to the Internet while capturing? Do you have an Anti Virus package running as you capture? Something maybe, making a callout and an intermittent call on your resources?

Have you made any major updates to your OS? If running XP, have got new SPs installed?

Something has gone "bad" since your successful capture. Now you CAN'T capture from the "good tape" then it is from the tape heads to the Vegas Capture prog. Another thing you could try is capture while you have the cammie just switched on and connected. If you can see an image within VidCap preview, as you wave the cammie about, then it would suggest that the connections are solid and good. Now try this as a "live" capture.

How much space do you have on this F: drive?

Have you looked on the Online Support for Dropped frames:

"General advice
Use a dedicated hard disk. Modern hard disks (EIDE, UDMA, SCSI, etc.) can all handle DV capture and playback. Faster disks that spin at 7,200 RPM are recommended. Most importantly, you should always capture to a dedicated, physically separate hard disk. Dedicated means that it is used primarily for storage purposes and does not have any applications on it that may interrupt the capture process. Physically separate means that Windows is installed on a different disk. This is not the same as a different partition on the same disk. Windows frequently needs to write to the hard disk it is installed on, and this can interrupt the capture process. Actually, Windows will write to the disk specified in your Virtual Memory settings. Make sure this location is physically different from your capture hard disk. See Windows Help for more information.

Defragment your video capture hard disk.

Do not run any other programs during capture. You should not be doing anything else with your computer during capture. Other programs can easily interrupt the high rate of data flow to the hard disk during capture that can cause dropped frames. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and view the Task Manager to see a list of applications that are running. Any unnecessary operations (e.g. most applications other than Explorer or Systray) can be stopped by selecting the process and clicking the End Task button.

Video Capture solutions
If you are consistently dropping frames, please try the following software solutions. If none of these suggestions solves your problem, you may have a more fundamental hardware configuration problem that needs to be rectified.

Turn off audio preview. Previewing the audio can sometimes cause problems with capturing. From the Options menu, choose Preview Audio to turn off audio previewing.

Completely turn off preview. As a last resort, you can completely turn off the Preview window in Video Capture, instead relying on your camcorder's LCD screen or outputting the video to a television to monitor the capture process."

Do you see anything here that would help?

I'm trying! But you really need to eliminate the "usual suspects" before digging deeper. Something has gone bad since your successful capture. This could range from anything along from cabling, cammie OUT sockets all the way through VidCap to the F: drive.

In what order do you "connect" your ext drive? I connect/switch on PRIOR to booting up Vegas/Vidcap. Only a thought.

Another thing which is getting to the edge of my competence is that the drivers for the external drive. Have you viewed "My Computer", hardware properties and see if there is a conflict with the Maxtor?

But do try a Windows Movie Maker capture .. this SHOULD point to something - either way! Bottom line here, something is acting intermittently - that wasn't doing this before!

Sorry I can't be of any further help,

Grazie
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1267
Old Boot

Colin, although relating to the latest version of Vegas - V6 - this thread on the Sony Vegas Forum just seemed so aposite for you that I feel you should read it and think if you see any relevance to your issues. Also click the LINKS from within it .. . Dropped frames are a real issue when you/I get 'em.

Hope this helps:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...plies=5&Page=0

Grazie
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #1268
Major Player

Help! Vegas 6 - 60i to 24p conversions?

Ok, I know there's a bit at the end of the 24p whitepaper from Sony about 60i to 24p workflow for versions prior to version 6...

I'm intrigued by the comments emphasized by Charlie White re: 60i to 24p in his "preview" of Vegas 6.

The plot thickens when you go to Sony Vegas 6 site and look at comparison chart - apparently, "only" Vegas 6 can do "60i to 24p" conversions...

What's special about 60i to 24p conversion method in Vegas 6 so that it's being so heavily touted? Deinterlace methods seem to be the same... I just don't get it...

I'm playing with 60i to 24p in Vegas 6 now and the Vegas 6 manual does not address this at all...???

I have 60i HDV that I changed over to CFHD 60i and now want to make it 24p... how to do this "best" using ONLY Vegas 6 please?

Has the "recipe" changed somehow?
No, I am too cheap to shell out for VASST plugins, etc....
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #1269
RED Code Chef

Vegas is a NLE => Non Linear Editor. All computer editing programs are
referred to as a NLE.

60i is interlaced, 30p is progressive. Both are 30 "frames" per second. Interlaced
is the standard used by TV's where the full frame is split into two fields which
are capture 1/30th of a second apart. If you show interlaced footage on a
progressive system (like a computer) you'll see interlace "jaggies" on (fast)
moving items due to the time difference between the lines.

The lines go like this:

line 1 - field 1
line 2 - field 2
line 3 - field 1
line 4 - field 2

etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #1270
RED Code Chef

I think they are talking a lot about this in terms of supporting their new
camera's that are interlaced only.

I have no clue how this is supposed to work in 6 (as it is just out). Sorry.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #1271
Major Player

Just so I'm clear...

Thanks Ed,

Here's what I've done for each dance.

Pre-Intermission dances are in the folder for that menu and Post dances in the folder for the Post dances.

Under "End Action" - Command: Link - Destination: "Name of next dance" -
Destination Chapter: 1:

Those are the only active headings I used under "End Action"

I've noticed that in the work space (bottom right where it shows a timeline of the clip) that there is a chapter marker at the start (labelled "1:") and at the end ("2:") of each dance clip. I haven't bothered renaming them.

So, having explained what I have, what do you mean by "add all the media to the project a SECOND time"?

Forgive my ignorance but are you saying I need to put my videos on twice or are you saying remove all of the dances and re-add them all over again?

Please help this poor fella get this nice little project done.

Thank you.

sincerely,

ian
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #1272

If you want each to remain separate AND you want a "Play All" where you have end-actioned them all together, you will need to add the media to the project a second time. To do this, simply drag each one up to the project window to the left of the design screen. Then you can access them from the End Action property.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #1273
Regular Crew

Vegas 5/DVDA - Problem with delaying menus

Made the intro to my disc in V5. Starting to take the media over to DVDA.

For the main menu of my clip, the first 5 seconds or so I wanted the menu buttons invisible, then have them appear. From what I have read, DVDA cannot do this, called delayed menu items.

I have read several work arounds on it, and I still cant make heads or tails of it. The most logical (I suppose) was creating a mask in V5 before rendering, but I couldnt totally follow his instructions. Can read them here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=332666

and another technique:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=340850

I think the new version of DVDA has the ability to do this, but I have yet to get it. Would like to get it goin with what I got...

Thoughts?

Here's the clip in question, for those so inclined:

http://www.bouncebooking.com/temp/bulb.mpg

Thanks!
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #1274
Regular Crew

So if you shoot on 60i and you have those "jaggies" on the computer, is that how it will play on a TV? Ultimately, which is the best to shoot with when you are planning on showing this on TV? Thanks again.

MITCH
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #1275
Regular Crew

Vegas 6 Update

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but does anyone know what it will cost to update Vegas 5 to Vegas 6? Also, when is it going to be officially available for purchase. Thanks again.

MITCH
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...