Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #1366
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, always edit in DV and then do the final render to MPEG. You do NOT want to edit MPEG because rendering from MPEG to MPEG will cause every frame to be decompressed and recompressed. Stick with DV until the final render!
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #1367

Do a search for "Boris" on the Sony site. This problem was mentioned there as well.

You might also try an uninstall/reinstall and see if you can point it to where Vegas 6 is located. I'd do the search first, though. There was something about a couple of dlls also needing to be copied.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1368
Regular Crew

Vegas 6 audio enhancements

I'm looking at upgrading from 5 and was wondering if anyone new anything about the audio enhancements for 6. They say they have something like Tape-style audio scrubbing? What does that mean? It also indicates you can now edit audio without opening it up in a seperate application?
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1369

Vegas does not replace Sound Forge so I'm not sure what you mean by "editing audio without opening it up in a seperate application". It WILL still allow you to add effects to the audio just as it always has.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to read here:
http://dspcdn.sonypictures.com/readm...gas_readme.htm

Specifically listed under "Audio" is:
Option to ignore fact chunk when opening compressed WAV files
VST effect support
Playhead timeline scrubbing
Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) import
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #1370
Regular Crew

xp with sp2.

and vegas 5.

havent changed anything, really. my machine is not a dedicated workstation (it will be from now on!) so I do other tasks on it. but vegas is the only app that really spikes the processor.

should i wipe it clean with the quickness so i can finish this project??
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #1371

Excalibur 4.1 Update Released

An update to Excalibur 4 has now been released and can be downloaded from:
http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com...calibur4_1.exe

This update is free to all owners of Excalibur 4.0. The following changes were made:

Version 4.1
1. Fixed the Save Veg Wizard to use the proper month (was one off)
2. Changed the Save Veg Wizard so that the month and day would have a leading zero if less than 10.
3. Fixed possible error after entering an incorrect full release registration key.
4. Fixed conflict when running both Excalibur 4 and the Veggie Toolkit.
5. Fixed selection problem in Time Bandit.
6. Fixed problem opening the "About" screen if the registration key was too short.
7. Fixed problem for countries not using mm/dd/yyyy date format.
8. Changed Asset Collector options to default to "None" if no other settings are set as default.
9. Added check to verify the MasterTally and MasterTally2 tracks still exist when running the camera switches.
10. Fixed Sync Wizard so it would work in standalone mode
11. Fixed Velocity Wizard so the Freeze Frame box works
12. Fixed the Create New Camera Wizard to reference the correct DLL name.
13. Fixed Align A/V so it will check if a video or audio event is not selected.
14. Fixed Multi-Cam to ignore blank markers.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #1372
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"Template: DVD NTSC"

try using template DVD ntsc video stream
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1373
Regular Crew

network rendering

I'm running vegas 5 at the moment and I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. With this new laptop I want to try out network rendering. I did a search here and did not find a definitive answer as to the magnitude of the improvement in render times with network rendering. I run a desktop with a 3GHz P4 and plan to get a 1.7GHz centrino on the laptop. Will I see a dramatic improvement in render times ie 2x as fast or small like 10 or 20% faster?

Now with dual processors am I correct in saying it is only good for mpeg2 encoding? what I read is that it farms out the video and audio to seperate processors but since audio doesnt need as much processing it wastes the power of one of the processors.

thanks
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #1374
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

for most rendering you will NOT see faster rendering using 2 computers unless you have applied several fx's to every frame in project .. you will see longer render times on many projects using 10-100 network using 2 computers as one computer must load the frames in over the network - render them - then send them back over network .. it all depends on the project and how many fx's used .. if no FX's then one computer will beat 2 computers every time because the network would be slower then current hard dives can read/write.. i think a 10-100 network is 12mgs tops where new hard drives can read/write 45-55mgs

you cannot use distribute rendering ( rendering done by both computers on one project with mpegs ) .. dolby AC3 cannot use NRS ...you could use NRS to assign mpeg rendering to either computer and that one computer would render the whole project. you can also use NRS to line up several rendering jobs = before going to bed queue up several render jobs and when you wake up they will be finished

dual processors would work well = using one processor to render a project while you use the 2nd to continue editing ... or you could assign both to render .. or if the have hyper threading then ?? i'm not sure about V5 but V6 w/XP would be fooled into seeing 4 cpu's ...
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1375
Obstreperous Rex

Off topic for Donatello... did I tell you how happy I was to see you at NAB?

Great to see you here, too!

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1376
Inner Circle

"dual processors would work well = using one processor to render a project while you use the 2nd to continue editing ... or you could assign both to render .. or if the have hyper threading then ?? i'm not sure about V5 but V6 w/XP would be fooled into seeing 4 cpu's ..."

u can even do this without HT CPUs...
another thing is that you can work on the same project while THAT SAME PROJECT renders a loop region... it saves alot of time later on..
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1377
Regular Crew

The problem with having a significantly slower computer as part of your network render setup is that it will wind up working on relatively few segments as they are assigned as each computer is ready to work on them. At the end of the segment rendering process, most likely the fast computer will wind up with nothing to do while waiting for the slow computer to finish up its last segment.

Gary
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #1378
Regular Crew

Preview in Vegas 5 not showing Event FX

Somehow I have clobbered my settings so now I can not see any event fx results in the preview window.

Any idea what I've done or how to undo it?

Thanks,

KIM
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1379
Major Player

Kim,
Right click on the green event FX icon on the clip. Make sure that it says "enable all" instead of "bypass all". I sometimes disable FX to make the preview run faster and forget to enable them again.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #1380

It could also be the "Split Screen View" button just above the preview screen. Make sure it is NOT selected.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...