Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:18 AM   #1426
RED Code Chef

In one of the sticky threads in this forum (the one with mouse gestures in
the title) has a link to Vegas color correction tutorials:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm

The following two tutorials should help you white balance / match the camera's:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-9.htm
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-13.htm

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM   #1427
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't know anything about that particular deck but my FIRST question would be: Does WINDOWS recogize the deck when you turn it on? If not, you'll need to get it recognized there before Vegas can use it.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1428
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Stokes
Does anyone know if I can transfer video from Vegas to my JVC SR-VS3OU deck through a firewire? I can't seem to get Vegas to recognize the deck in the preferences. In fact, I don't even know if the record function on the JVC works backwards through the firewire port. Anyone know?
Barry,

The Vegas Hardware Support website does not list that particular deck. But I don't think that necessarily means it won't work, just that it hasn't been tested.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1429
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply. contacting lacie today to see what they think.

did a few more renders last night, and seemed to be working fine.

perhaps the second time that it happened was just a fluke.

/knocking on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Grasping at straws here... the information below may not be that helpful.

Hey Chris, if you re-installed Windows then PIO mode is not your problem. If you want to double check, go
control panel
system
hardware (tab?)
hardware or device manager
expand the branch for IDE/ATA controllers
right click the first entry
get properties
click advanced tab
read what mode the window says the interface is using

rinse and repeat for secondary controller

2- Totally esoteric and probably not your problem:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=
Certain older models of Pentiums can be very slow when it deals with a de-normal mode. You may encounter them if you do audio work that deals with small floating-point numbers (i.e. reverbs).

Check by muting audio or something, or making a .veg copy and deleting audio tracks.

3- There are a few bugs in Windows that can cause slow performance. You can try updating your machine to fix that (windows update).

4- Maybe some of your software is corrupt???

5-
Apparently certain Lacie drives have a high failure rate (this is from reading the Sony forum). It's an un-fun possibility that the drive overheated.

Data recovery should be possible as long as there is no physical damage to the hard drive platter (which is likely the case). That's expensive though. If Lacie is just going to replace your unit but you want your data, you may want to look at a data recovery service.

It could be something else though. But if it used to worked and now has stopped working, then it probably has a failure of some sort :/

One thing you could try is to mount the drive internally. If it's just one drive, you can do it. Don't do this if the Lacie enclosure/drive has two physical hard drives inside.
Watch out for static, find instructions on disassembling it (not sure if this is possible), make sure you select the right jumper setting on the drive by moving the jumper (cable select should work... otherwise master/slave both drives, or cable select both).
If the drive spins up, you are in luck. WIndows should be able to read the data off it. If it has formatting problems, take a peek at the drive with Active Undelete demo. It will show if the data is recoverable.
I really wouldn't do all that though... call Lacie first and ask them what gives.

6- Workaround:
If you really need to get this done, perhaps you could edit your material on another computer.

Borrow a computer from a friend.
(Possibly unethical) Buy a computer from a store with a good refund policy (check for restocking fees).
Use a lesser specced computer?
Early upgrade... get yourself a new computer.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:50 PM   #1430
Regular Crew

Automation for voiceover track?

I recorded a "commentary" voiceover audio track in Vegas that I will use as an alternative audio track on a DVD.

I haven't rendered it to AC3 yet. Is there any way to automate the "turn down the background, turn up the commentary" and vice versa? What would be great is if I could make a single audio bus that makes the commentary louder and regular audio quieter if I pull the curve one way, then does the opposite if I push it the other way.

Is there an easy way to do this, or should I route all the background audio tracks to one bus and the voiceover track to another, then adjust the output of the two busses in parallel? It seems like there should be an easier way to do it, since I'll be adjusting one's output at exactly the same time as the other and by exactly the same amount, just in the opposite direction. I hope that makes sense ;-).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:49 PM   #1431
Regular Crew

Excalibur to the rescue with Voice-Over Wizard! It does excactly what you want. www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com

Ultimate S also has a tool along these lines.

Gary
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1432
New Boot

yes, windows does recognize the deck, and Vegas also recognizes it if I'm capturing FROM the deck. The problem occurs when I try "Print to Tape" from Vegas to the JVC deck. Vegas does not recognize the deck. Any ideas?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #1433

Have you tried it with a different firewire cable? Sometimes you can develop a problem in the cable and it only works one way.

Does External preview work?

Can you PTT to another device with the same cable?

Can you PTT with your current setup from another program?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1434
Tourist

SMRT Capture problem

Hi,

I have a problem with "SMRT Capture" and I am wondering if you have any insight into this. I have a Sony VAIO and I am using Vegas 4.0 for video editing. When I attempt to capture video from an analog source (my old camcorder, pluged in to the computer RCA jacks), as soon as I clik "capture video", I get this message: "The device SMRT Capture could not be opened. Please make sure that it is turned on and is not being used by another application or user."

I am a novice with this, it is the first time I have attempted to capture video in this way. Any advice of direction you may offer would be appreciated.

Thank you,

- Moon Bear
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1435

My recommendation: Hook up the analog source to your camera/convertor/deck and hook that to the computer via firewire. Let the camera convert from analog to digital and capture into a standard DV-AVI file.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1436
Major Player

Output to LCD with HDV??

Hi all.

Just dreaming about a new Sony Z1.. I was trying to visualize how you would display the output of your Vegas machine on an external LCD dedicated to video.. How does the output wiring look.. Firewire out of computer to camera input and the output of camera(which one) to which input on the LCD ???

What are the possible scenerios ?? (Sorry no DeckLink card here either.. maybe down the road..)

thanks all,
Mike Moncrief
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1437

Vegas 6 has the ability to do external preview to a secondary video monitor.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:00 PM   #1438
Major Player

Hi Edward.

Thanks for responding.. I have seen that.. But what hardware connection exactly are used to accomplish this??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:11 PM   #1439

Also, in Vegas 6, under PREFERENCES/PRINT DEVICE, be sure to select the proper 1394 bus.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM   #1440

Simply plug it into the a second monitor connection on your video card - just like the first monitor is.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...