DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Fred Finn October 16th, 2004 09:08 PM

Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2)

Hi, I am wondering if someone can help me create a script to vertically flip and change to 16:9 ratio on the timeline.

If someone can point me in the right direction... or hold my hand. Thanks!

Mark McCarthy October 18th, 2004 01:56 AM

16x9 in Vegas 5 using PAL XL2, HELP!!

hello all, help needed please! Lucky enough to just get a new XL2 and even luckier to be going to Zambia this evening to produce a short doc. Anyway, having big problems with Vegas as it's the first time I've use 16x9 footage with it.

I think these should be my settings for editing with the 16x9 footage, remember I'm using a PAL camera..

Width: 960 Field Order: Lower field first
Height: 576 Pixel Rate: ???????????
Frame Rate 25.000

When I use these settings the footage has lots of jagged lines/ steps. What settings should I use? And when I render?
Very much hope some Vegas users happily editing with PAL 16:9 footage can come to my rescue!

regards
Mark

Kyle Ringin October 18th, 2004 04:06 PM

Mark, I don't have any specific experience with the XL2, but it sounds like you are specifying a non-standard resolution for Vegas. Set your project properties to the PAL DV Widescreen template as the XL2 is recording DV to tape at 720x576 (no matter what the res. of the chips is). If you use the templates you should be pretty right.

BTW depending on the resolution you have the preview window set to you may see jaggies regardless, but these should not be in the rendered file.

When you render, render to:
PAL DV Widescreen (for full res. anamorphic output to tape)
PAL DV (for letterboxed 4:3 output to tape) or
Mpeg2 widescreen (for full res. anamorphic DVD)

Hope this helps.

Peter Jefferson October 19th, 2004 06:15 AM

all you really need to do is set your capturing to widescreen Pal DV

then create a project template with the PAL DV Widescreen.

your pixel aspect ration is whats causing the jaggies, as your PAR is differing from the project PAR

Mark McCarthy October 23rd, 2004 05:48 AM

Just back from Africa this morning. Thank you both very much for your help. I have tried as you suggested and it works.

Jeff, I couldn't find the option to capture the source as 'widescreen DV'.

I tried your suggestions Kyle and I think they have solved my problem. But just another quick question Kyle!

If I render it as 'PAL DV Widescreen for full res. anamorphic output to tape, does that mean on a 4:3 screen the it will appear as 'squashed', but once it's played on a widescreen TV, it automatically plays it as wide screen (16:9)?

And if I render it as 'PAL DV (for letterboxed 4:3 output to tape) ', will it always appear letter boxed which ever size screen it is played from?

I am also rendering an MPEG2 version for a power point presentation. I think for powerpoint 16:9 always needs to be letterboxed.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to help.
regards
Mark. (UK)

Hugh DiMauro November 17th, 2004 12:38 PM

16 x 9 Crop Mask

I was reading another post talking about in-camera 16 X 9 and somebody stated that cropping in post reduces image quality. Did I read that wrong? I thought that cropping in post on Vegas just put black bands on the top and bottom of the 4 x 3 frame and as long as you framed correctly when you shot, you'd be fine.

Does cropping to 16 x 9 using the pan/crop tool in Vegas reduce picture quality?

Gary Kleiner November 17th, 2004 01:09 PM

>Does cropping to 16 x 9 using the pan/crop tool in Vegas reduce picture quality?<

No it doesn't.

However, if you shift the image veritcally within the crop mask, which theorectically should not reduce the quality, you may see a softening of the image.

Gary

Fred Finn November 17th, 2004 01:34 PM

No one?

Jesse Rosten November 17th, 2004 01:39 PM

Perhaps i don't understand. Why do you need a script to do this? Can't you just use the track motion or event pan/crop tools to accomplish this?

Fred Finn November 17th, 2004 02:17 PM

Yeah I am redoing a project and i have over a hundred cuts, so rather than do each one individually I was hoping i could just run a script, and i figured someone else would probably find themselves in a similar position someday...

Hugh DiMauro November 17th, 2004 02:51 PM

When you say shift the image vertically, do you mean "pan and scan" to center the image better between the mask? And if so, why would that soften the image?

Kyle Ringin November 17th, 2004 03:01 PM

Hugh,
Ignoring the fact that you will be recompressing the footage, adding a letterbox mask to 4:3 footage won't degrade the image quality.

What people usually mean when they say not to use masking or letterboxing (in camera or in post) is that it is not as high a resolution as a true anamorphic 16:9 (from a true 16:9 camera, or a 4:3 camera with adaptor).

DV can be one of two aspect ratios - 4:3 or 16:9. Both use the same number of pixels. If you convert 4:3 to 16:9 by masking you are using the same number of pixels, but the few top rows and bottom few rows (1/4 of the picture) are black and contain no real information, whereas with a true 16:9 source all pixels are used for picture information.

Your footage played on a 4:3 tv won't be much different (probably not even noticable) - it'll be just masking off the top and bottom.
On a widescreen tv though if you zoom to fill the screen, you footage won't look anywhere near as good as true 16:9.

Edward Troxel November 17th, 2004 03:13 PM

You can do everything on a track at once using Track Motion.

Fred Finn November 17th, 2004 04:20 PM

You can do aspect ratio and verical flip at once from track motion? Do tell!

Gary Kleiner November 18th, 2004 12:19 AM

>What people usually mean when they say not to use masking or letterboxing (in camera or in post) is that it is not as high a resolution as a true anamorphic 16:9 <

That may be, but what *I * meant was that if you move the cropped area vertically to reveal a different part of the image, every other increment up or down will produce a softened image.

Try it and see.

Gary