Field Order - HD to SD?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Bryan

Nice to know you are busy!!
My last wedding was done with the AVCHD files transcoded to HDV as progressive which John says loses resolution. However there were no comb effects at all. I was now wondering if I should try transcoding to M2t from AVCHD and use the interpolate setting rather than the progessive????

If I get a better result I'll certainly let you know!! My wedding yesterday has some steadicam footage which will provide ideal motion for a test and I'll try the HDV files in both progressive and interpolate modes and see which works better!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Bryan

An update : I did some tests on some wedding footage and if I leave it interlaced and set Vegas to de-interlace in Interpolate mode the footage is still full on combs on the computer and unfortunately also still visible (but not so bad) on the TV!!
The only method that works really well for me is your one !! Using progressive footage and then simply rendering it to DVD PAL Widescreen. Disregarding the odd comb effect I also cannot see any glaring differences in resolution either. You might be able to spot them on a 60" HDTV but I certainly don't think that any bride would be able to see the difference if I cannot see any!!!

I am wondering now how John gets his footage to display without interlacing lines????

Chris
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris,
Glad the method helped out. I still want to give the interlaced option a run again with some of my stock ballet footage and will let you know what I find. I must admit, it is somewhat comforting to hear that another shooter got the same results I did when i tried it in the past. After reading some of the threads about how great the interlaced downrez worked out, i was beginning to think I was lost. I also noticed what you mentioned about tube TV's correcting (masking?) some of the combing but I found it readily visible when testing on plasma and LCD HDTV.

As to being busy, I am running quite a backlog at the moment, partially due to my largest corp client getting under a deadline and needing some extra help. With all the work they send me over the years, everything else halts when they need a rush. Should be back on track in a week or two.

Bryan
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Bryan

Ok I must admit I wasn't fair with using Vegas to de-interlace as John DID say switch the render to "best" I rendered a 2 minute segment and it has the usual comb effect in media player (that is to be expected) On my CRT TV there is no sign of any combs on even fast moving footage so the sytem does work. Hopefully you are more wealthy than me and have a big screen LCD TV??? They might show up on an LCD or Plasma but a CRT is definately clear!!!

When you get a chance your results would be appreciated!!

Chris
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Major Player

I have to admit that I do not have a big screen LCD TV, just a 27" but I do have one family member with a large plasma and another with a 60-something huge 1080p LCD HDTV and so I demo on my CRT, Small LCD, and then I make a quick trip to test on the other 2 across town. It is hard to know how different TV and dvd players will react to your discs but this allows me to test a master disc on a number of different players and screen types before duplicating or delivery. I have often wondered who I would need to make friends with at Wal-mart or Best Buy to get them to let me demo a disc across their displays. You could test on 20-70 screens simultaneously...not likely to happen but would be fun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...