Newbie Passthrough Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 30th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie Passthrough Help

Here's the task:

Ultimately I want to edit personal actor demo material already recorded to DVD.

I have Movie Studio+DVD

Now...I've discovered the difficulty of getting that DVD footage into an editable form

Is it reasonable and or possible to:

Use my DVD player and my DV852D as a 'passthrough' device to save on my PC?

Any help with specific settings on teh 852 will be appreciated as I am a technical idiot.

If the above is posible, will the resulting video be of decent quality, once edited (adding some new demo material) and burned back to DVD?

I've looked and will continue to look through the archives for assistance, but, I think I need some guidance.

I thought I could use GordianKnot to convert the DVD to AVI but apparently the Sony software will not work with xvid files, right?

So is the passthrough method a reasonable thing to try?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Okay...I'm hooked up DVDPlayer -> DV852 -> PC

Movie Studio asks me if I want to capture video

However, it wants me to put a tape in the camera

Do I need a tape in the camera if I'm not wanting to record to tape before sending the video to the PC?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Tommy,
I don't know if the 852 has passthrough or not. However, if you go into Movie Studio options and turn off DV Device Controls, it won't prompt you to put a tape in the transport. You will have to start and stop your source video and capture manually.

However, why are you capturing this way? You can copy the VOB files to your hard drive and change the extension from VOB to MPG and put them on the VMS timeline. That way you'll retain the original quality. The only problem you might face is if the DVD was authored with AC3 audio.

Mr. Haupfear may want to move this to the Vegas forum...
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks Guy, and the DV852 does offer pass-thru which can be explained on page 45 of the manual.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

The "key" is turning OFF "Enable Device Control". With this option turned off, it will not try to capture from a tape and, instead, capture the video being passed through the camera.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Tommy,
I don't know if the 852 has passthrough or not. However, if you go into Movie Studio options and turn off DV Device Controls, it won't prompt you to put a tape in the transport. You will have to start and stop your source video and capture manually.

However, why are you capturing this way? You can copy the VOB files to your hard drive and change the extension from VOB to MPG and put them on the VMS timeline. That way you'll retain the original quality. The only problem you might face is if the DVD was authored with AC3 audio.

Mr. Haupfear may want to move this to the Vegas forum... -->>>

Guy,

Thanks for the response.

I did copy the VOB of my existing demo into MovieStudio. The audio does seem to be AC3...at least when I open the dvd in DVDShrink it says the audio is AC3. I get no audio track.

Can I convert the audio separately into a wav and import that...and should it sync up with picture?

Also....it appears that my current demo has a different resolution from the new footage I have the. Current demo is 704 x 480 and the new footage is 720 x 480.

I was trying to use TMPGenc Author to put together a new DVD and it can't use the different clips because of the different resolutions. Does Movie Studio+ pose the same "problem"?

Hope you or someone eles might be able to answer.

Thanks again.

PS: I read page 45 of the manual...but wasn't having any luck as the capture prg. kept asking for a tape.
www.txactor.com
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #7

Yes, if you go that route you will need another program to convert the AC-3 audio to WAV.
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : The "key" is turning OFF "Enable Device Control". With this option turned off, it will not try to capture from a tape and, instead, capture the video being passed through the camera. -->>>

Okay...I finally found the 'enable device controp' box and got it unchecked.

The video is getting captured okay...but no audio.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, guys.

Just copying the VOB and renaming isn't working. The video only is present and its not playing properly. Maybe because there is a montage in the beginning of the demo? The dvd was burned at a copy house from a BetaSP master....if that is any help.

Thanks for the help..

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #9

If everything is connected correctly, you should be getting audio on passthru.
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : If everything is connected correctly, you should be getting audio on passthru. -->>>

Edward,

I think I just had a "duh" moment. I've got the video into the dv852 via S-video. I don't have the audio plugged from the dvd player into the camera. Guess I need an adapter for the RCA? from the dvd sound into the dv852. I know this is basic stuff, but I repeat....I'm technostupid.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #11

Yep. Also need RCA audio from the DVD player to the camera.
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Yep. Also need RCA audio from the DVD player to the camera. -->>>

yeah...that's what I meant. do you know if it goes in the a/v in/out or in the mic input?

thanks for all the help. your're being patient. :)

tommy
www.txactor.com
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:41 AM   #13

I would try the A/V in/out first.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Connect your audio to the AV In/Out because the cam is in VCR mode. Make sure you push the miniplug fully into the jack. Don't connect the yellow composite cable to the DVD player since you are using S-video. Check everything on the cam (you should see video and hear audio) before you start capturing.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:25 AM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Connect your audio to the AV In/Out because the cam is in VCR mode. Make sure you push the miniplug fully into the jack. Don't connect the yellow composite cable to the DVD player since you are using S-video. Check everything on the cam (you should see video and hear audio) before you start capturing. -->>>

Thanks, guys. I should be in business, soon as I get the adapter. I did a video only capture last night to test and it went fine. Thanks for all the help.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...