DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Anyone using laptop for Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/342222-anyone-using-laptop-vegas.html)

Martin Wiosna August 30th, 2009 09:47 PM

Anyone using laptop for Vegas?

I'm thinking about using a laptop to edit projects while away (quite often). I found a computer that looks like it will meet the requirement. I'm using HDV (1080i), and I won't be rendering on this laptop just working on the time line.

Every day I figure I just move the vegas project file to my desktop to update it (I plan on having a copy of the video files on both comps).

Will this comp do the job?

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Graphite Gray - L505-S6946

Perrone Ford August 30th, 2009 10:15 PM

I'd skip that one. Not enough RAM, slow HD, proc a bit slow...

Seth Bloombaum August 30th, 2009 10:17 PM

I've purchased a couple of Toshiba "value" laptops for college-age kids, one of whom does some video editing on it. Generally, they've worked out just fine.

One thing - some of these (including the one you speced) don't have firewire. You'd have to add it with an expresscard.

Whoops, Perrone beat me to it. Slow HD... could be a problem, depending on how you're editing. RAM could be expanded, but Vista32 is only going to see 3GB at a time.

Dave Blackhurst August 30th, 2009 11:18 PM

It will depend a lot on whether you can stomach sluggish previews and overall performance - I was actually fiddling with editing AVCHD on a single core with decent specs for a while (HDV was "doable", barely).

I'm just bringing a new HP HDX18 online to replace that machine - Installed Vegas 8.1 and dumped a project I was familiar with over to it just to see... and I could edit on it, even though I think the specs are a bit weak... Renders are pretty slow even compared to my Q6600 desktop, but the overall performance for editing was surprisingly snappy. I think the faster bus (1066 vs. 800), more RAM, and just generally "state of the art" hardware combine to create a workable overall performance. Tom's recently did some HDD tests that showed even a current 5400 rpm drive could provide throughput that beat drives from just a couple years ago... I noticed a significant speed improvement with a new 7200 drive vs. my aging ones from just a couple years ago...

The bottom line is any computer will only be as good as the "weakest link" - I'm collecting bits for a Core i7 desktop, and an Intel motherboard I looked at wouldn't even interface about half of my legacy hardware (no PATA, no PS/2- USB only, only a up to date PS and case). I ended up going to a different MB, but it struck me that perhaps trying to "support" older technologies simply isn't worth it in a "state of the art" machine...

Also a factor is what your "main" editing computer has in it (and again the age of the components) - if you're "used" to sluggish editing and can accept it, a "new" laptop might surprise you, if you're used to snappy response, you may or may not be disappointed. Technology improves a great deal all the time, so specs may be somewhat misleading.

Mel Enriquez August 31st, 2009 12:25 AM

yes, you can

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna (Post 1291654)
I'm thinking about using a laptop to edit projects while away (quite often). I found a computer that looks like it will meet the requirement. I'm using HDV (1080i), and I won't be rendering on this laptop just working on the time line.

Every day I figure I just move the vegas project file to my desktop to update it (I plan on having a copy of the video files on both comps).

Will this comp do the job?

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Graphite Gray - L505-S6946

Not sure about that model. But I am using an old 3-year old Dell Inspiron 1505 2.0ghz core 2 duo, with 3gb ram, XP 32-bit, 160gb 5400rpm HD, on a 1680 x 1050 15" LCD. I use Sony Vegas v8.1. It works, even with AVCHD. I have to lower the rez and size of the preview window, but it works. It is usable. The 5400rpm is usable and is not the bottleneck for me. I just finished editing some avchd videos. Have finished about 4-5 of that type already and lots of HDV (w/c is less of a problem). I also have a Q8200 OC'd to 3.0ghz desktop quad, so I know the difference in speed and performance.

You can opt for an MSI quadcore (for about U$1,200) or a Lenovo. The Lenovo might set you back around U$2,500 or so. But that would handle avchd better. Your choice of NLE also will affect your editing experience.

I am waiting for the end of the year when we'll likely see quads, maybe even i7 mobile types with Windows 7. After 3 years, I am thinking of retiring or upgrading my Dell to a quad core. 2010 will likely be it for me. A good time to go quad on a notebook and when prices finally stabilizes.

Mike Calla August 31st, 2009 05:33 AM

When editing on my laptop - i use DV proxy files via Vasst's Gearshift. Great work flow for laptop!

My laptop is at least 5 year old, and works fine with SD files.

James McBoyle August 31st, 2009 08:07 AM

I have a 3 year old Dell I'm using to edit XDCamEX files that has a 2GHz dual core cpu, 2GB RAM and Windows 7 installed. With the files stored on a 1TB external USB HD, I think I've managed to break every guideline going, but it works great for me :-)

Have Fun,
Jim.

Martin Wiosna August 31st, 2009 08:22 AM

ok im going to be using vegas 8 pro, the laptop im looking at comes with vista 64 bit sp1...

will i have any issues as my vegas is 32 bit?

thanks again for the help!

Edward Troxel August 31st, 2009 12:32 PM

Martin, running a 32-bit version of Vegas on a 64-bit operating system is perfectly acceptable.

Ryan Laytart September 1st, 2009 11:09 AM

I'm glad to finally see powerful specs on affordale laptops.... Not sure if this is in your price range:

Pavilion dv7-2180us Entertainment Notebook - NV022UA#ABA - Buy.com

Dave Blackhurst September 2nd, 2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna (Post 1293524)
ok im going to be using vegas 8 pro, the laptop im looking at comes with vista 64 bit sp1...

will i have any issues as my vegas is 32 bit?

thanks again for the help!

You should be able to download V8.1, which is 64 bit - that's what I just did, used my 32bit product keys and fired right up with a V8c project.

Aside from a minor glitch with infiniticam plugin, it's running quite well on a HP HDX18, even with 5400 RPM drive, editing AVCHD looks to be a snap, the 18" full HD (1920x1080) screen is very nice, though I'm a bit less than thrilled with the gloss/reflective finish... I just picked up one used, to replace an aging Toshiba, hoped it would at least be able to do video, but wasn't expecting much, and I'm pleasantly surprised even though a number of the specs "fall short" - the sum of the parts performs amazingly well.

Render times aren't as good as my Q6600 desktop, but editing actually feels smoother since the components of the laptop are more recent than my aging Frankenstien special desktop. The parts for an i7 build sit beckoning me, but I'm debating a few upgrades as I see the HDD subsystem (older 7200rpm drives) and older video card as possible bottlenecks...

I wouldn't try to edit on the average "consumer bargain" laptop, but depending on the situation, some of the higher end "desktop replacement" machines can do the trick rather nicely at a reasonable price if you're patient on rendering times.

Rob Wood September 2nd, 2009 03:29 PM

the laptops mentioned so far are standard 1 hard drive, standard laptop cpu/ram... i'v done work using systems like (or the same as) these and a friend of mine does much of his AE compositing with various HP/Dell laptops.

but...

the following links are for laptops that are desktop replacements... ie: you could actually edit pretty much anything with these.

this also means ur looking at desktop computer prices: $2-3K and probably more like $3-4K. or more... this is what happens when making a laptop with 3.33g i7, 6-12gig RAM, 3 internal drives, etc.

anyway, if the price hasn't scared you off, you should check

here for general reviews (best laptop reviews on the web imo)
Notebook and Laptop Reviews

here for high-end laptops discussions
Sager and Clevo - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

this site among others gives an example of the selection available
(check the 2 or 3 at the end of the list)
Custom Laptops, Gaming Notebooks, Custom Gaming Laptops | XOTIC PC

if you decide to go this route, research research and research some more before committing to a high-end laptop: buyers remorse sucks even with high-quality build parts :)

Jim Andrada September 2nd, 2009 07:26 PM

I run Vegas 8 on my MacBook Pro under VMWare Fusion - works OK for the light duty stuff I use it for - generally just doing some cuts etc (in SD by the way) while on the road. Haven't tried any heavy lifting so to speak.

Biggest issue was capture because Win can't get at the firewire port, so I capture under Mac OS and then access the file from the Windows virtual machine.

Martin Wiosna September 2nd, 2009 09:05 PM

Thank you for all of the input. Due to budget I'm going to go with a HP for $750.

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV6-1260SE 15.6-Inch Entertainment Laptop: Computer & Accessories

At this point I'm just looking to do editing. Rendering, capture and author... will be done on my desktop.

Would this scenario work? :

I capture a project, I copy it onto a portable HD. Until I'm ready to render I do a little here on the laptop, save the VEG file to the portable HD. The next day I'm at the desktop I just start up Vegas and load the VEG project from the portable HD, and save all process on the portable HD. I got back and fort between the two until the project is complete, then I render from my desktop. This won't corrupt any files will it? I'm using the portable HD to avoid any error messages about files being off line.

Bill Koehler September 8th, 2009 03:45 PM

Martin,

The only thing I would be concerned about is will the drive show up with the same drive letter on the two machines? If not you could get a lot of prompting from Vegas as to where you're media files are located.