Dialogue Sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dialogue Sound

When some of my clips are louder than the others or more quiet in the voices of the actors. For example clip one -Master shot is very quiet, then we cut to a close up shot and the sound is way louder. I did change the audio settings to Normalize and unclicked the Loop setting.

For me to adjust this so it all sounds right do I fix it with the Threshold or something else.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

put the master clip on its own audio track - boost volume using slider ...
now put the close ups audio on their own audio tracks ( = 1-3 more tracks ) agian use the volume slider on audio track to adjust ...
now to make FINE tune adjustments to say a event in audio track = say the 3rd master audio ( master shot) clip is too loud so to adjust this use the audio event gain = put curser near top of audio track and when it turns into a hand left click and drag audio gain down( lower) .....

if you have a audio event that begins ( or middle/end ) very loud then goes lower and you want it to be approx same volume = then use the audio rubber band ( audio envolope) to adjust OR use the "S" key to split ( cut) the loud section away from the lower audio- then use the event gain ( curser turns to hand) to lower the loud section and then you might need to normalize the lower audio and then use the event GAIN to adjust volume to match other sections ....
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Don,

Sweet, I'll be trying this right away!
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice this is working!

Thanks.

I got another question let say I want NO sound in the clip, there is no dialogue but the hiss sound. I will have music over it. So do I just click on Mute?
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also I think I'm having sound problems in some of the dialogue is because of the hisses in some clips, Maybe I should do a noise reduction first. Now for this do I need a program like Sony Forge or Noise Reduction. Or can I do this somehow in Vegas?

Thanks
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You can go into the switches for a particular clip and mute it.

Better approaches:
A- The music will cover up the hiss so you can't hear it anyways.
B- You can use a noise gate to gate out the noise. It will automatically duck down the volume on the clip when it gets below a certain threshold.

Noise reduction plug-ins are more effective and complicated noise gates. You can use them if you have noise problems. They only hide noise though and these plug-ins can only hide so much.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

You could always just use a volume envelope to reduce the volume in those areas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

You can remove noise with an FFT-based filter, which is not the same as a noise gate. The cheapest professional one I know of is BIAS Inc.'s Sound Soap ($99 for the basic version). Douglas Spotted Eagle (of DVInfo and more) wrote an excellent article about noise reduction.

Michael
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The volume envelope is probably the easiest way. It works very well also.
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for the advice,

now do I really need spend more money to do this.

People mentioned the volume envelope, any info out there on how to use it and what it exactly is.

thanks
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

okay, I know what the audio envelopes are, when I insert audio envelope click on the volume a purple line goes over the sound in the timeline, double click, a square appers and I can move the line around.

I don't know how this will remove the hiss, but I'll play around with it. And there's also the EQ to play around with.

I'll see what happens.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #12

In the post I responded to you indicated you were wanting to remove the hiss in an area with no talking. By dropping the volume in that area, there will be no hiss behind the music.

If you have true hiss (i.e. kind of a repeatable noise that is consistent), you really need to look at the Noise Reduction plugin. You can find it on Sony's site and it will work directly in Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : In the post I responded to you indicated you were wanting to remove the hiss in an area with no talking. By dropping the volume in that area, there will be no hiss behind the music.

If you have true hiss (i.e. kind of a repeatable noise that is consistent), you really need to look at the Noise Reduction plugin. You can find it on Sony's site and it will work directly in Vegas. -->>>

In the area where there is no talking yes I put the clips on mute, so obviously no hiss, I'm gonna have the music score on those clips.

I do have hiss on the clips when there is dialogue, not so much with the close up shots, they are mostly clear but with master or medium shots definetly hear hiss. I'm not sure how to explain on what kind of hiss this is.

I've got sound forge, not sure if that will work?

People are saying that Noise Reduction does miracles so maybe I should get it. Then again, maybe the hiss I have could be dealt with in Vegas, but I have no clue.
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #14
Regular Crew

alright, I bought the plugin noise reduction... you guys know where I can find good info on how to use it.

any good links, greatly appriciated,

a struggling Newbie.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #15

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...artofnoise.htm
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...