DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Multiple Take Problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/350028-multiple-take-problems.html)

Jason Robinson September 1st, 2009 09:43 PM

Multiple Take Problems

With video, I can right click & drag a take form the trimmer to the timeline and add it as a take. That allows me to cycle through the takes with the "T" key and choose my best take.

However this does NOT solve a few problems:

1) If take 1 is shorter than take 2, when I place take 2 on the timeline, it will only show up to the length of take 1, then cut off. So takes does not ripple insert to fit the new take's length.

2) All FX (color, etc) are applied to each take and I cannot tweak the settings for each take (most annoyingly is that velocity effects are applied to take 2 from take 1).

3) Audio cannot be added as takes! If a second audio track is dropped on the TL using the same procedure as for a video take, the result is one big crossfade between take 1 and 2, so you don't really get to choose.

Am I correct in my assumption that there is no work around for these three problems?

I have a project with lots of VO work, and I am trying to figure out how to quickly switch between VO takes and the only way I can do this is by putting the alternate takes on lower tracks and then muting / unmuting the tracks as needed.

Edward Troxel September 2nd, 2009 07:22 AM

#1: You are correct. The event is the length it is. If you add a new "take", the event length will not (and, in my opinion, SHOULD not) change. You can manually change the length if you add a longer take and ripple will still apply.

#2: Yes, it is a SINGLE event with multiple takes. So, therefore, any effects/speed changes will be applied to ALL takes and any changes to those effects/speed changes will affect all takes equally because it's EVENT based - not TAKE based.

#3: Sure audio can use takes as well. No problem at all. Lots of people (including me) use takes with audio as well as video. Make sure you RIGHT-click and drag the audio so that the sub-menu will pop up giving you the option to "Add As Takes".

If you do put the audio across multiple tracks, I'd just use the Volume Envelope to adjust the various audio levels.

Edward Troxel September 2nd, 2009 07:26 AM

One thing to remember (that could help with #1), effects can also be applied on the PROJECT MEDIA tab to the actual MEDIA. This will be applied to that clip no matter where it is on the timeline. So you could put different color corrections on the various clips in the Project Media and it will properly get applied as takes. Then each take could have different corrections applied.

Jason Robinson September 2nd, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1301988)
One thing to remember (that could help with #1), effects can also be applied on the PROJECT MEDIA tab to the actual MEDIA. This will be applied to that clip no matter where it is on the timeline. So you could put different color corrections on the various clips in the Project Media and it will properly get applied as takes. Then each take could have different corrections applied.

Ahh. I would probably need to create multiple sub-clips if my takes are on the same video file. good point. Thanks.