DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Dual Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/36137-dual-monitors.html)

Brian Bechard December 9th, 2004 11:18 AM

Dual Monitors

How many of you are using two monitors with Vegas...and how much of advantage does it give you. I'm finding my workspace a bit crowded with one monitor.

Shane Schmidt December 9th, 2004 11:29 AM

I originally went dual-head for Photoshop but I also use it now for Vegas. Having most of the tool-windows on another monitor is a huge plus or you can also drag the project window across both screens if that suits you better.
I warn you though; once you go with two, you'll never want to go back (especially in Photoshop & Vegas).

Shane

Kyle Ringin December 9th, 2004 04:34 PM

I started using Vegas on one monitor a long time ago, when I upgraded to two monitors, it made everything heaps easier - less zooming in and out on the timeline, larger preview window, etc.
Shanes right though - you can never go back.

Brian Bechard December 10th, 2004 09:17 AM

Thanks fellas, I figured two would be better than one. My little 17" monitor just isn't cutting it. Any ideas on where I could pick up a cheap second monitor? Also What kind of duel display card will I need? Nothing fancy I suspect.

Imran Zaidi December 10th, 2004 10:14 AM

Best Buy often has great deals on various monitors. Check their site for rebates before you go. Often times you can get monitors from there for below cost. For example, they often have this particular model of 19" ViewSonic that, including rebates, you can get for under $200. Not bad at all for a flatscreen 19" CRT that has very acceptable resolution and refresh rate.

Shane Schmidt December 10th, 2004 11:04 AM

I used to run a Matrox G400 (?), vid card that supported dual-head on my last system. I had a Mitsubishi 19" diamondtron and a 19" Viewsonic PS790. The Mitsubishi died a painful death only after 2 years of use and I was stuck with a single monitor for about 6 months (Photoshop was unbearable w 1 screen). On my new system I'm running an ATI 9800 XT. I went cheap for the 2nd screen this time, a Samsung 19" 955DF (Best Buy), and the Viewsonic is still kicking after 5 years.
I will say that there are more options to go dual-head than there used to be and I would have stayed with Matrox but I needed better open GL support with some of the 3D rendering I do.

Now all you need is a nice video monitor to go next to the 2 PC screens, sure impresses the hell out of clients for some reason ;)

Glen Elliott December 10th, 2004 01:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Bechard : Thanks fellas, I figured two would be better than one. My little 17" monitor just isn't cutting it. Any ideas on where I could pick up a cheap second monitor? Also What kind of duel display card will I need? Nothing fancy I suspect. -->>>

I have an NEC LCD1765 17" LCD display for sale. Email me for details.

Kyle Ringin December 12th, 2004 03:40 PM

I'm using two 17" CRTs. I did have a 21" but it died a while back. On the video card front, I have an AGP card (it is dual head but only has one analog output and one DVI). The second monitor runs off a PCI video card.

Bob Schneider December 12th, 2004 04:58 PM

Hi,

Can anyone chime in on pros or cons of LCD v.s. CRT in video or photoshop work?

Thanks

Graham Bernard December 12th, 2004 05:19 PM

Best for me is: 2 x 17" Samsungs + 1 x JVC 780 line JVC Pro CRT external monitor. Having the external monitor is the only way I can think to do colour correction for most of final delivery platforms are going to be on CRTs.

Grazie

Martin Boulianne December 12th, 2004 06:55 PM

Dual monitors

I have been using duals long before i started editing video on my PC.

I cant live without them!!!! right now im using 2 20"
one NEC and a HP.. i had a Mitsu Diamond scan....R.I.P.

im dreamin of a dual 42" plasma setup...ever since i saw that they had Svga/DVI plugs on the back panel...

i've been editing for almost 20 years... even on a tape based system i always had 2 or more monitors..
source, program, preview.....

even on computer editing using Vegas4 i love it!!! 2 monitors plus a ntsc preview..( Firewire )

Wish i could post a pic of my home setup...

Graham Bernard December 13th, 2004 12:39 AM

Martin, do it! I'm salivating! :) Grazie

Dan Euritt December 13th, 2004 01:33 AM

one thing to keep in mind is that some video programs could require the same rez on both monitors, or they will not span.

you will want to do the most critical work on the crt, lcd's don't have anywhere the contrast range... and it can be very difficult if not impossible to get the blacks down where they should be on an lcd.

Glenn Chan December 13th, 2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Can anyone chime in on pros or cons of LCD v.s. CRT in video or photoshop work?
For video:
You want a NTSC monitor. Use either CRT or LCD for your computer.

Why a NTSC monitor:
-You can get a high-end professional one with SMPTE C phosphors for the right color accuracy.
-your computer monitor does not display video correctly. It shows blacker than blacks and whiter than whites. You can quasi-calibrate your computer monitor to NTSC bars and tone (setting it to clip blacks and whites like it should), but it still isn't close to what video looks like. It will not show interlace flicker, chroma crawl, etc.

A high-end NTSC monitor with SMPTE C phosphors are fairly expensive, but I believe are your best bet for color accuracy. Look for JVC manufacturer monitors or b-stock/demo monitors if you're looking to save. Used is alright but ONLY if you examine the monitor beforehand... there are many possible defects in aged monitors.

For Photoshop:
A calibrated CRT will work very well. You will need something like the Colorvision Spyder to calibrate your monitor.
see http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/.../computer.html

Some people also say that certain LCDs like the 23" apple cinema display (when calibrated) are just as good or slightly better. But at the price point of CRTs... I think I'd stick with them.

Glen Elliott December 14th, 2004 01:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : For video:
You want a NTSC monitor. Use either CRT or LCD for your computer.

Why a NTSC monitor:
-You can get a high-end professional one with SMPTE C phosphors for the right color accuracy.
-your computer monitor does not display video correctly. It shows blacker than blacks and whiter than whites. You can quasi-calibrate your computer monitor to NTSC bars and tone (setting it to clip blacks and whites like it should), but it still isn't close to what video looks like. It will not show interlace flicker, chroma crawl, etc.

A high-end NTSC monitor with SMPTE C phosphors are fairly expensive, but I believe are your best bet for color accuracy. -->>>

Glenn, I just picked up a Sony PVM-14 L/5. I believe it uses the SMPTE phospors thus it's price differencial between the L/2 monitor. It's 14" and $1,500 USD. Beautiful piece I might add- you haven't seen video till you've watched it on an NTSC monitor with 800 lines of res! WOW