DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Review my intro made in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/36144-review-my-intro-made-vegas.html)

Tim Kay December 9th, 2004 01:00 PM

Review my intro made in Vegas

Hello again,

because of help i recieved in Vegas i managed to put together a pretty cool intro about my sailing trip to Mexico. This 2 min. video intro's all the 'characters' (my friends) with some cool sailing music.

Now that i'm done patting myself on the back for getting this accomplished, i'd like some feedback from my peers on how/where to improve this video. Except for the first 10sec, everything was shot with a one chip camera.

Once people have viewed it i'll share what i though worked and didn't; heres the links.

8mb (.wmv) http://timlexuss.tripod.com/baja_haha512.wmv

1.5mb (.rm) http://timlexuss.tripod.com/baja_haha.rm

'some how' my 1.7mb .wmv file disappeared, but if i find that i'll post it.

Thanks everyone for looking at it and i look forward to the feed back

p.s. if links don't work please go directly to my site to d/l the files:]http://timlexuss.tripod.com

Rob Lohman December 10th, 2004 04:03 AM

It was okay. I thought the popping when introducing the people
(ie, going to a freeze frame) was a bit "irritating". Also some shots
in the beginning seemed a bit out of focus or soft.

By the way, isn't it spelled "navIgation"?

Dennis Vogel December 10th, 2004 02:18 PM

I get this message when I try to view the WMV version:

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy."

Good luck.

Dennis

Edward Troxel December 10th, 2004 02:34 PM

Maybe he exceeded his bandwidth for the day???

Tim Kay December 10th, 2004 05:42 PM

Must go to site first

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Vogel : I get this message when I try to view the WMV version:

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy."

Good luck.

Dennis -->>>

I just checked the files and they're up and running. that message comes up when you click the links directly. Please go to my site first, then click on the links.

THanks

http://timlexuss.tripod.com/

Brian Bechard December 10th, 2004 06:05 PM

Interesting certainly...I would say the camera work needs a little work (especially in the beginning of the clip) with the pans and zooms. I too have worked in television for several years and the first thing I learned was not the over use the pan and zoom movements. Other than that I liked the music as well as the "introductions" of your shipmates. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun on the shoot.

Fred Finn December 12th, 2004 11:17 PM

Ok a couple things. One I am using firefox and this link reroutes me to microsoft (the latest one). So then i open it with internet explorer, and it tries to install gator on my computer!! The original links say the object is not available when viewed with firefox. If your hosting service is attempting to install gator on viewer's pc's thats not cool.

Tim Kay December 13th, 2004 01:57 AM

Do you have internet explorer? Because thats the only browser that i've tested it on and i know it works fine, just d/l it today. Did you try right clicking it to save it as a wmv file? Has any other firefox user had this problem?

No, it does not try to install any software. Its solely a video file, thats it. There are links that tripod automatically places on my webpage that i have no control over.

NOW FEEDBACK, only 2 people have critiqued it so far and i do appreciate those for their time and advice. While i may have a different POV on some comments, I do respect all words given to me as its helps me improve. Like, most of it was shot on my $300 camcorder so the focus is sometimes optional :) (you should hear the audio during the video, its aweful because of the cheap mic and constant wind noise)

Some elements I would like fix is the cheap text; I feel it really separates a novice from a pro. I have some other good points/ bad points but I don’t want to influence thinking so I’ll wait for some more reviews.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://timlexuss.tripod.com

Tim Kay December 27th, 2004 05:03 PM

anybody else?

Bob Costa December 28th, 2004 06:42 AM

Mostly camera comments...

When you showed those "historical signs", I would have liked a really clear view of the pictures on them. Tighter cropping to the sailboat would be nice, could stay on that longer and forget the clouds. Zooms were WAY overdone, on a big screen would probably make me dizzy. The sun in my eyes halfway thru is just annoying, should be edited out.

Titling should be less fancy, more consistent.

Great music choice. Looks like a fun video.

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky December 28th, 2004 09:57 AM

Andy,

Just a few thoughts on the web site (not that you asked):

If this site is truly designed with the intent to either attract business for your video related services, or to help seal the deal by providing legitimacy to prospective clients, you may benefit from the services of an experienced ad copy writer - someone who can effectively communicate the advantages you offer. There are many professionals who perform such services on a freelance basis.

The messages you are sending may not be the ones you think you are sending.

In general, it appears that you are trying to provide information which does not move the process forward. Instead of selling the sizzle, you are focusing on what goes into the steak.

Imagine a candy commercial which shows a scientist explaining how many factories they have instead of watching happy people stuffing their faces with a mouthwatering candy bar.

You may also wish to avoid sending unwanted mixed signals.

For example, are you Tim Kay per the website, or Andy Dufrain, a name which is phonetically the same as the main character in The Shawshank Redemption?

Maybe Coincidence?

(Related: The rest of us disclose our location in our dvinfo identifiers. This contributes to legitimacy and a spirit of openness and communication.)

Your web site and online communications should build interest, not raise questions.

Brian

Fred Finn December 28th, 2004 01:51 PM

Hey Andy,

Finally got it downloaded. I think what you are asking for is just viewer preferences? So i'll give ya mine.

I like the showing of the characters, and the freeze on them while you show their name. Very Guy Ritchey.

You open with the shot zooming in on the sailboat, I like that. But then you fade to a pan towards the boat, that one lost me. I thought something was changing. I think if you kept going to the boat then cut into a closer shot on the boat you might gain a little more continuity. Or show all the surrounding info and the go into the zoom into the sailboat. You are foreshadowing that the crew is going to face some trouble? I would start with the area history and landscape then bring us into the boat. Kind of like showing us around a bit, giving us the background info then bringing us into the boat where the story begins.

I would really like to see some text that is more dynamic, but not as colorful (haha i know sounds boring). Check out the sample projects that come with Vegas, they have some really cool text effects. I wish i could describe them better. What if you gave us just their character name? Then filled us in on their real name in the credits?

Not sure how you feel about these ideas. Stick to your vision. If you see it cool, if not cool.

Hope this was helpful, and didn't beat you up at all.

Later