DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video cuts while audio continues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/372700-video-cuts-while-audio-continues.html)

Harry Simpson September 7th, 2009 09:44 PM

Video cuts while audio continues

I shoot music acts in small venues and i'd like to simulate multiple camera angles with one camera.....therefore i need to cut 5 second video while the audio continues since i have one audio source...

Does Vegas Studio 9 PE have a way to do this that looks good? I've added still images of the gig for now in those places but wondering what other Vegas folks are doing or if you have any ideas.

TIA

Peter Wright September 7th, 2009 09:56 PM

If you place the "alternative" shot, whether video or still, on a track higher than the main track, it will replace the existing shot.

Brian Luce September 7th, 2009 09:57 PM

Highlight the clip, hit "U" on the keypad and it'll de-couple the video from the audio and slice and dice the video portion while keeping the audio track intact.

Harry Simpson September 7th, 2009 10:18 PM

thanks but what goes into the video space where the 5 sec bit of video was removed? I've used photos with nice panning effect. But wish there were other ways to fill in this video.

Chris Harding September 8th, 2009 12:30 AM

Hi Harry

Uncouple the video and audio and then copy the video track only onto an upper track. Then you can mirror the track so it looks like it was shot from the other direction then chop it up to make cutaways. However I'm not sure if MS 9 can do mirror????

You can also crop each chopped up segment to make it look like another cam has moved in closer!! Don't overdo it as the quality will drop off quickly!!

If you do crop, remember to enable de-interlacing on your project setting first otherwise the frame resize will create awful interlacing lines that the TV cannot get rid off!!

Chris

Edward Troxel September 8th, 2009 06:18 AM

Harry, YOU have to determine what would best fill the "hole" you created. You have a hole. That hole can be filled with any video or still clip you want to use. It's just a matter of taping what you want to use to fill the hole.

Seth Bloombaum September 8th, 2009 10:21 AM

The classic approach would be to fill the holes with:

1) Shots of adoring fans. During your original shoot, you can decide not to cover one (or more) of the songs, but instead use that time to shoot "cutaways", or "b-roll" of the audience, as this content is usually known. Can you catch some fans before the band starts, or on a break? Someone wearing the band's t-shirt, or dressed in a way that says "I'm totally into this band..."

2) Shots of things happening nearby, but not actually in the room. Say, a little sequence of the band arriving and getting set up. People lined up outside the venue. A street performer - whatever. These are usually known as "insert" shots (separated by time or space from the primary content).

3) Your own music video - go wild!

4) Interviews with band members. This is more complicated, because those interviews have sound, too. The idea here is that you end up with a visual sequence of the interview, with matching audio, with the music sound continuing at a lower level (which provides continuity and a reason to cut back to the concert). You'll be using all the tracks of a Studio version to make this work.

Harry Simpson September 8th, 2009 07:10 PM

Great ideas!! B-roll sounds good - audience shots etc. Thanks!!