DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 5.0d released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/37383-vegas-5-0d-released.html)

Edward Troxel January 6th, 2005 10:21 AM

Vegas 5.0d released

An updated version of Sony Vegas 5 has been released that contains:

1) HDV project templates
2) HDV source file interpretation
2) HDV render templates for Sony HDV-compliant 1080-60i and 1080-50i HDV MPEG-2

The good news here is you can now get your HDV projects back to Sony HDV cameras and decks.

Download the Vegas 5 update here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=496

If you already have Vegas 5, it's a free update.

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky January 6th, 2005 02:58 PM

Edward,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if this will affect the use of Cineform’s codec?

Did they skip 5.0c?

Any non-HDV revisions?

Brian

Edward Troxel January 6th, 2005 04:31 PM

I never saw a "C" release.

I would not expect it to affect Cineform.

Steve Crisdale January 7th, 2005 03:46 AM

Re: Vegas 5.0d released

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : An updated version of Sony Vegas 5 has been released that contains:

1) HDV project templates
2) HDV source file interpretation
2) HDV render templates for Sony HDV-compliant 1080-60i and 1080-50i HDV MPEG-2

The good news here is you can now get your HDV projects back to Sony HDV cameras and decks.

-->>>

But still no capture?

If Vegas still can't identify the FX-1 to capture how can Vegas allow for back to cam m2t writes?

It's nice that the HDV project templates are there, even though I'd created my own anyway, and the HDV file interpetation saves some hassles in frame order etc. as well as the HDV render templates (again I'd already created my own).

However, until there's the ability to actually capture with the cam (as well as write back) directly from Vegas I'll continue to see this flaw as a major stumbling block for those wishing to go the FX-1 / Vegas HDV route....

BTW.... I have attempted to capture and receive the "Unable to communicate with Windows AV/C tape device" message, and yes I have SP2 installed. ConnectHD HDLink capture works correctly....

John Hartney January 8th, 2005 12:45 PM

Does this release have any benefits to users who are staying with DV25?

Edward Troxel January 8th, 2005 05:18 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hartney : Does this release have any benefits to users who are staying with DV25? -->>>

Not really.

Rob Lohman January 9th, 2005 07:15 AM

There seemed to have been a C release:
Quote:

Notable Changes/Fixes in Version 5.0c

A bug has been fixed in the MPEG plug-in that would prevent saving markers to MPEG files.
Source: Vegas release notes

Graham Bernard January 9th, 2005 07:46 AM

Yup! I'm staying with SD for the moment. No need for me to go beyond V5b ... the mpeg markers? Well, I don't think I need this. . .do I Edward?

Mind you it might make developers and their testers jobs interesting if they don't "all" have the same platform .. hmmm?

Grazie

Robert Crawford January 9th, 2005 10:11 AM

I'm pretty sure there were other issues fixed, too. I seem to remember a comment over on the Sony forums about the arrow keys working in one of the dialogs again.

Edward Troxel January 9th, 2005 03:31 PM

If you are going to DVDA and using markers for your chapter points, you may want the upgrade for the marker issue. I'm not sure if any other issues were affected by "C" or "D", though.

Lamar Lamb January 12th, 2005 04:58 PM

Ed,
When does this failure to transfer markers happen? I haven't had a problem in 5.0b with markers going into MPEG2 renders.

Steve Crisdale January 12th, 2005 07:50 PM

Query on the HDV templates...

I noticed that the settings for 1080i frame rates have what I'd prefer to call an inconsistency, especially the PAL 1080i 50 which indicates frame rate as 25.

I'd always assumed that 50i was 50 interlaced fps and not 25. If I'm converting/transcoding then 25p would be something I definitely select, but to have the template set the frame rate to 25 seems rather odd and could (I haven't rendered out a test to check!!) lead to errors in the encode that might cause angst on the users part.

Just wondering if there's some bizarre miscalculation that I've made and 50i is in actual fact 25fps....?

If it is an error in the template, it may pay to change it pronto, because unsuspecting users will probably blame the FX-1 rather than digging deeper into the root cause of any stuttering playback!!

Steve Crisdale January 12th, 2005 07:59 PM

Oh, and shouldn't the Audio setting be 48Hz and best quality by default in the template audio settings for HDV?

When's Vegas going to natively support the FX-1? Using ConnectHD is OK, but it don't beat just selecting the cam for capture to the timeline, and transcoding a 30min m2t into CFHD just took about 2.5Hrs on my 3.4Ghz P-IV HT!!!

It's the one area of embarrassment for me when talking to people about the HDV solution.... The fact that the software/capture/conversion side is a jig-saw puzzle.

Edward Troxel January 12th, 2005 08:53 PM

Lamar, I don't know what the bug-fix was for the markers. I also have not had any problems with them. I do seem to recall some possible problems when rendering to a FAT32 drive.

David Newman January 13th, 2005 11:16 PM

Steve,

Really that slow for you? What was your CPU usage showing? The capture/convert should be no slower than 2 to 1 on a minimum required class of PC for the Sony version of Connect HD (your PC is faster than that.) Which version of Connect HD are you running? The CineForm version comes with a faster MPEG decoder -- shortening the conversion times further -- Sony has licensed a different decoder (one of the reasons for the price difference.) You should be seeing more like 1.6:1 (CineForm version) and 1.8:1 (Sony version.) We are working to lower these ratios even further, so do regularly check the CineForm web site for updates.