DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What's the deal with those transitions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/37652-whats-deal-those-transitions.html)

Philippe Gosselin January 12th, 2005 12:04 AM

What's the deal with those transitions

Hi all,

Ok here is the bane of my evening so far. I will give you examples it will be easier on you guys

1: A barn door transition : I put the barn door at the end of the first event and overlap it over the second event , the two images blend in fine.

2: Do exactly the same steps as described above but with an iris transition and guess what , instead of blending in the second event becomes black until the transition is done ????

Tried every combination possible :

putting the transition at beginning of second event and moving the first one above/below OR moving the second one above/below the first one with the transition still at the beginning of the second one .... and vice-versa

Strange thing is this behavior will not occur with some transition but will with others. Linear swipe ,page peel/roll , barn door are fine but iris , push,squeeze etc they will not work.

The majority will not work so obviously I am missing something here. Heck one look in the help file and he will find the iris example showing two events that blend in one another so...

Anyway thank for you help

Phil

Gary Kleiner January 12th, 2005 01:44 AM

Overlap first, THEN drop on the transition.

Gary

Peter Jefferson January 12th, 2005 01:57 AM

and the transition is always locked to the SECOND clip too..

Philippe Gosselin January 12th, 2005 02:08 AM

Excellent ,

Peter what do you mean by that

Gary , when you say to drop it do you mean in the first event or the second one

Thanks guys :)

Edward Troxel January 12th, 2005 08:28 AM

Your two events are on different tracks? Typically the events would both be on the same track and you overlap them to create a crossfade. Then you simply drop the transition on the crossfade. I would have to do some experimentation to determine how things operate when they are on two separate tracks.

Peter Jefferson January 14th, 2005 06:54 AM

2 seperate tracks wont work, however if u expand ur track layer, you will see A and B, this is ur AB Roll editing from teh Old Prem6.5 days..

if u edit this way, just click and drag the transition between the 2 clips, (you will see an icon in there that looks like a paper cip or infinity symbol) now shuffle the transitions until u set ur duration..

A roll editing do as Ed says.. overlay teh clip, click and drag the transition.. THIS transition is LOCKED to the second clip.. so ir u move the clips again.. you will only see that transition at the BEGINING of the second clip..

make sense??

Philippe Gosselin January 14th, 2005 02:20 PM

Indeed it does,

Well , with all the superb input that I got from you guys everything seems A-OK

thanks again

Graham Bernard January 14th, 2005 11:32 PM

Good.

Philippe Gosselin January 15th, 2005 10:58 AM

Would also like to add that working with one timeline expanded make things so much easier. Wouldn't have known that without Peter's advice

Thanks Pete :)

Edward Troxel January 15th, 2005 02:57 PM

Go ahead and expand it to keep things the way you are used to seeing them for now. However, periodically shrink it back down until you get used to seeing the shrunk version. The main reason for using the shrunk version is that it takes much less space allowing you to see more tracks on the timeline at once. Once you get used to it, it's then hard to look at the expanded version.

Philippe Gosselin January 15th, 2005 04:01 PM

Yes indeed , i noticed that even though I have a big monior with the resolution to the max.

Thanks for the heads up Ed