DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sometimes timecode is missing when I import clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/381658-sometimes-timecode-missing-when-i-import-clips.html)

Daniel McMullen September 10th, 2009 06:32 AM

Sometimes timecode is missing when I import clips

I am using vegas 9 and have been using it since version 5. All the while I have had this persistent but intermittent problem of the clips I have selected and batch captured losing their timecode when I import them into Vegas. The clips in the sfvidcap file are all logged with the correct timcode, but when imported, they all start at 00;00;00;00. This does not happen everytime, and it usually will correct itself if I delete the media, reselect them for batch capture and recapture them. Sometimes I have to recapture a tape as many as 3 or 4 times to fix it. It is a major PITA when it happens,k and it seems to typically happens to about one in 4 tapes that I capture.

I have had this happen with footage from 8 different models of MiniDV and DVcam cameras, 4 different VCRs I have used to capture footage, on 3 different Vegas systems ( had 3 licenses and 3 machines running Vegas. It happened when I was running windows 2000, it has continued on Windows XP and Vista.

I have written to tech support at Sony, and previously SF and always been told that it is something that they have never heard of. They tell me it must be something wrong with my equipment or my computer hardware. I find it hard to believe, so I wanted to ask here if anyone has ever run into this and if so, have you found a reasonable work around?

Daniel McMullen
Blackwater Video Productions

Mike Kujbida September 10th, 2009 06:53 PM

Are you rolling tape for at least 5 seconds before you start shooting anything critical?
And letting the shot roll for an extra 5 seconds at the end of the shot?
Called "heads and tails", this was old school teaching that is still relevant today, with tape at least.

Daniel McMullen September 11th, 2009 03:09 PM

Yes, but it does not have anythign to do with that. Either all the clips have missing timecode, or it is all right. Sony says they are escatlating this to their engineers when they have some free time to look at it. So I guess I just recapture when it happens in the meanwhile.

Daniel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1337848)
Are you rolling tape for at least 5 seconds before you start shooting anything critical?
And letting the shot roll for an extra 5 seconds at the end of the shot?
Called "heads and tails", this was old school teaching that is still relevant today, with tape at least.

Mike Kujbida September 11th, 2009 04:26 PM

Some ff the wall questions but I'm going to ask anyway.
Have you been using the same brand of tape over the years?
If so, which brand?
Are you using these tapes more than once?

Daniel McMullen September 18th, 2009 06:19 AM

I have been using the Sony PRL60 DV tapes and the Sony Pro DVCam tapes. That is all I have ever bought or used. Again, I was hoping to stay avoid problems like this by sticking to one manufacturer. The only place they have to point the finger is at themselves...

Been a week or so since I have heard anything form them.