Media generator length question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Old Boot

VP9b . If you DO have VP9c then you definitely DO have an advanced copy from SONY?

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; September 12th, 2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correction - replaced and updated correction!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
VP9b . If you DO have VP9c then you definitely DO have an advanced copy from SONY?

Grazie
Typo now corrected :-)

8.0c is what I'm using.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I confirm that this also works for me in the demo of Vegas Pro 9 (installed on the same machine as 8.0c).

Curioser and curioser . . .
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Pro 8.0a - changed the still image length to 8 seconds. Newly added gen media was 10 seconds long.

Pro 9.0 - changed the still image length to 5 seconds. Newly added gen media was 10 seconds long.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Edward, thanks for confirming my results.
I have no idea how Ian is getting Generated Media to behave the way he does.
I went through the Internal Prefs but nothing jumped out at me and said "change this setting".
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, just to further muddy the waters I just re-installed 8.0c on my laptop and was again able to reproduce the same results.

For the hell of it I also installed v7.0e (aww, it was so cute . . .) and same thing there, worked perfectly.

Is there anyone else that can do the same thing? Can't believe I'm the only one.

So, two PCs, three versions of Vegas, all displaying the same results.
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Sherlock strikes . . .

I may have an answer:

I'll bet that you are inserting generated media on the timeline by selecting it from the Media Generators tab. I very rarely, if ever, insert items on the timeline from the tabs. No reason, just force of habit.

I am inserting gen media by right clicking on the timeline and using the context menu or by clicking Insert/Generated Media on the menu bar.

I just tried both methods and guess what - dragging from the tab gave me the default length of 10 seconds, whereas right clicking or selecting from the menu gave me the duration specified by the Still Image Length.

How does that sound?
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #23
Old Boot

This means that Generated Media length is being executed/actioned in a different way, dependant on which process is being used, "Insert" OR "Drag".

Inserting responds to the "Still-Length" length setting in preferences. Inserting by Right Click or Insert > Generated Media . . .

Dragging responds to the Default 10 second length setting, set by SONY.

Although this is/can be advantageous and useful, it is not IMO, consistent. Roughly speaking, Still Length - JPEGS, PSDs, PNGS etc etc are sharing, at this point in editing, insert "length-commands" with Generated Media. Point in case, look at the misunderstanding here?

Discuss . . . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Well it's certainly an undocumented 'feature'.

I'm not too concerned (personally) whether it's consistent or not; I was more frustrated that I couldn't work out WHY it was happening. Now I know, I'm happy to add it to my (short) list of Vegas wrinkles. Not that I'll ever do much with it, to be perfectly honest! I will continue to insert media the same way I have always done and then edit it's length on the timeline or in it's properties. I don't think I have ever needed to know that a newly inserted piece of media is x seconds by default and I can't think of any occasion in the future when I will either!
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #25
Sponsor: JET DV

I was, indeed, dragging from the Media Generators tab. I just now right-clicked the video track chose "Insert Text Media...", and it DID come out to 5 seconds instead of 10 (which is what I had changed the "new still image length" to be).

Just for fun, I then created a 30 second selection area on the timeline, right-clicked inside that selection area, and chose "Insert Text Media...". That text media WAS 30 seconds long confirming what I said above.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Mystery solved, then!

Actually, Edward, the 'insert into selection area' method is, for me anyway, the most useful, more so than Right Click/Insert - but how annoying that it doesn't work for stills!! They are still brought in at the default Still Image Length.

Oh well, can't have it all, I suppose!
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Mystery solved, then!
And I'm VERY glad it is :-)

Quote:
Oh well, can't have it all, I suppose!
We can't?
Someone's been lying to me for several years then :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...