DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Media generator length question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/386808-media-generator-length-question.html)

Herm Stork September 11th, 2009 01:40 PM

Media generator length question

Using Vegas v6, is there a way to set a default length of 3 seconds (rather than the default 10 seconds) when using a Media Generator?

Don Bloom September 11th, 2009 02:11 PM

I've never found a way to set a time other than the standard 10 seconds. Kind of aggrivateing but I think a script might be able to adjust to a specific lenght. Not 100% sure.

Ian Stark September 11th, 2009 06:15 PM

Not sure about v6 but in v8, in Options/Preferences/Editing set New Still Image Length to whatever duration you want for new events. It will affect ALL generated media, not just stills.

Don Bloom September 11th, 2009 06:50 PM

hmmmm, I'm not sure about that either in (I should be, I'm still using it) I'll have to look at it over the weekend.

Mike Kujbida September 11th, 2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1341986)
Not sure about v6 but in v8, in Options/Preferences/Editing set New Still Image Length to whatever duration you want for new events. It will affect ALL generated media, not just stills.

Ian, I'd sure like to know how you're doing this.
I just tried it and all my generated media still comes in at 10 sec. long, no matter what I have the New Still Image Length value set to.

Don Bloom September 11th, 2009 08:44 PM

yeah, I just tried it in V6 and the media still comes in at 10 seconds.

Edward Troxel September 11th, 2009 09:54 PM

I can think of two options off the top of my head:

1. Create a selection area on the timeline for the desired length. Right-click inside the selection area and add the generated media from the drop-down menu.

2. Use a script which can create generated medias of any length.

Ian Stark September 12th, 2009 03:29 AM

I need practice using Camtasia so I put together a quick tutorial showing how to set the default length of any generated media in Vegas 8.0c. Shame it doesn't work in earlier versions.

Edit: Oh, mp4 is no good here! OK, I'll redo it in another format!

Ian Stark September 12th, 2009 03:36 AM

Better idea - you can find the tutorial here: http://www.videoit.uk.com/tutorials/...n_tutorial.mp4

Mike Kujbida September 12th, 2009 07:02 AM

Ian, this must be an NTSC vs. PAL issue because, try as I might, I can't reproduce the steps you did in your tutorial :-(

Ian Stark September 12th, 2009 09:56 AM

Mike, are you using 8.0c or a different version? I can't really see how it could be NTSC v PAL, to be honest - it's the same Vegas regardless of TV standard.

Mike Kujbida September 12th, 2009 11:54 AM

Ian, I tried it in 8.0c and 9.0b and had no luck with either one.
There's a chance that it's operator error (I have been known to not follow directions properly once in awhile) so it would be great if someone else could try your method and confirm that it does work.

FWIW, there was a problem a few versions back that only affected PAL users and not NTSC users.
All I can remember is that it had something to do with timecode in VidCap.

Ian Stark September 12th, 2009 12:04 PM

Well, that's weird, Mike!

I'm wondering whether there is another setting somewhere within Vegas that perhaps overrides the Still Image Length setting. Just a thought. I know there are some under the hood settings that can be tinkered with but I can't recall the method of bringing those settings up in Prefs.

I retract the comment about PAL v NTSC - maybe you're right, maybe there is a difference, although I still can't see how it would affect a function of Vegas. Thinking further about that, even assuming the Sony download site identifies my location, how would it know I wanted a PAL version, not NTSC?

Hope someone else can get this to work . . . or maybe I have a 'special' version of Vegas!

Edward Troxel September 12th, 2009 12:47 PM

I used to report the still image length as changing this but had too many people report it did not work. I swear it did seem to work at one time but hasn't seemed to work recently - but you're saying it still does for you. That does seem really strange.

Ian Stark September 12th, 2009 01:03 PM

Not only works for me but you can see the video proof of it working! :-)

I have just uninstalled Vegas from my laptop so I can't test it on another machine. I will install the demo of 9 and see if it works for me.

I can only imagine there is some other overriding setting that makes this work or not work.

Just to confirm, Vegas Pro 8.0c (Build 260) is what I am using.