Stabilizer Plugin for Vegas? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #16
Trustee

DSE,

it's well and good if i could travel back in time and do a better job. the fact is, what's done is done. yesh, it's a lesson well learned and the future will bring new corrections.

but someone (other than me in the future) will also need the power to save their footage via software image stabillizer. i'm just surprised that such a thing doesn't exist already in vegas as it does premiere pro. perhaps i should give it an install.

anyway, if not, i might go with b-fx.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
i'm just surprised that such a thing doesn't exist already in vegas as it does premiere pro.
There ARE image stabilizers that work with Vegas. Maybe I'm missing your point? Boris RED works within Vegas. If you think Steadymove is slow, wait'll you try RED. And, RED has a learning curve and is expensive. Using WAX, it's a freebie to frameserve. And the stabilizer that comes with PPro is worth exactly what you pay for it. Which is why RED is one of the preferred choices.
My bigger point is, there isn't a free lunch. Speed, cost, and quality are the three items on the menu, but this isn't a case where you get to pick two. All three are slow, so all three are expensive at some level, and all stabilizing softwares have a negative impact on the quality, some more than others. And all are slow. The dual pass types are the best ones, as they make one pass creating vectors and the second pass to stabilize based on the first pass information.

But to come back to point....there are indeed, stabilizers that work in Vegas. They might not be the ones you want, but they do indeed, exist.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Revisited three years later

This is an old thread but I wanted to mention that there is now a near-perfect solution to the question of video stabilization. The product is DeShaker, a freeware highly-sophisticated stabilizing program the runs on VirtualDub. In the past, you had to render out the shaky clip, import it into VirtualDub, run Deshaker Pass 1, run Pass 2, then export to Vegas and put it back on the timeline in place of the original clip. Big pain in the neck, and it took a long time.

This has all been automated by a Vegas script written by John Meyer. In my latest project I used the script and it performed brilliantly, making the steadying process completely automatic. The steadied clip shows up on the original timeline as an overlaid take, so you can switch back and forth with the original clip by hitting the "T" key.

DeShaker has, in my opinion, by far the best way of masking black frame edges, which are a necessary by-product of the steadying process. It looks ahead and back by a certain number of frames, and finds edges that best match the frame in question. Sounds bizarre, but in reality it does a remarkably good job of filling in the black edges. What little artifact is left I cover with a 3% or 4% cookie-cutter frame on the finished product.

On my last project virtually every single clip was shot hand-held. I steadied most of the project with the Meyer script, and it turned out beautifully. Looks like I hired a Steadicam operator.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #19
Major Player

so where to get DeShaker and the script?
Thanks...
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
so where to get DeShaker and the script?
Thanks...
Everything you need is right here.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the ease...
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Ever thought about dropping it in After Effects and knocking out the 'shake' there? It may be a little time consuming, but it gets the job done well.

that .02 will buy you exactly nothing :)
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #23
Trustee

oh my gosh that's freakin' incredible because it's free! lol.

it worx with vegas8 and i presume upcoming 9?

if we install the 64-bit versions of 8 or 9, will deshaker still work? just curious =P. i won't have time to test this until i get my computer back up and running but it sounds promising! i've got hours of shaky footage that need stabilizing =P.

PS will deshaker work with HD?
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #24
Major Player

I gave DeShaker a try and very impressed with it, simply works with the press of one button, fully automated. I'm not sure how it compares to Mercalli as I only had a demo version however DeShaker does an awesome job at stabilizing. Process didn't take long either, works great on HDV aswell.

I've upload a short clip to demonstrate the effectiveness of DeShaker.
Sony Vegas DeShaker on Vimeo
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
I gave DeShaker a try and very impressed with it, simply works with the press of one button, fully automated. I'm not sure how it compares to Mercalli as I only had a demo version however DeShaker does an awesome job at stabilizing. Process didn't take long either, works great on HDV aswell.

I've upload a short clip to demonstrate the effectiveness of DeShaker.
Sony Vegas DeShaker on Vimeo
I haven't tried it myself yet but that's a pretty impressive result.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #26
New Boot

im running vegas 8 on xp pro and cant get it to work in vegas for the life of me. I either get
I highlighted a clip and ran deshaker. It starts rendering when it gets to the end of the clip for the first pass. Im assuming that because 50 percent of the time is still there. It goes black and I get
error the system cannot find the path specified
or I select a area and it says no video events selected
what am i doing wrong
Anthony Auci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #27
Old Boot

Nice sample footage Nico! That HAS to be be near the Kalahari or Bots. . . . ???

You've got the edge in-fill pretty much beaten, 'cept for some in-fill near the car's side mirrors? I did spot some there. The results are quite amazing. I have used DeShaker, SteadyHand and latterly Mercalli. For quick and dirty (and NOT so dirty) steadying DeShaker is superb. But, top of the list is pure Camera Craft and Camera Skills. I don;t understand when some people HAVE a tripod but don;t use it. Have a piece of string and don't use it. Have a perfectly good wall and don't lean against it. Not every physical steady application needs big bucks. Using the tools in a modest way with items to hand makes a craftsman real.

Grazie

ps, I tried to read the "long" signpost at the beginning to get a location? I spent 5 years around SA. Great time and even greater people! I owe them a lot.

Last edited by Graham Bernard; March 18th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Yes, that clip from Nicholas is very impressive - and a good ad for DeShaker, especially as it's free.

I have Mercalli and I've used it to good effect to remove/reduce sudden jarring, dolly/track vibration and a bit of camera motion from the rare occasions when I shoot handheld (I'm with ya Grazie!). I'll certainly have to give DeShaker a whirl, based on that clip.

From the research I've done (not recent, I confess) I have a feeling that each product has it's own merits and failings and an awful lot depends on the original footage and the tweaking abilities of the user.

But there's no getting away from it, those DeShaker results look good.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I have used virtual dubs deshake and I never really had as good of success as I had hoped for, perhaps it was my inabilities that were the problem.

I not to long ago got Mercalli and I have had very good success with it in general.

Defintely try deshake as it is free.

As others have said, good tecnique and avoiding the problem to start is best.

I often shoot at a 3200 mm end of a lens and it is good for taking vibrations you get even off a great tripod!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Sorry for my ignorance, but could anyone point me to a link or other step-by-step info on using Deshaker and Virtualdub for this process? I am unfamiliar with scripts in Vegas 8 Pro and I'm unsure of how exactly to get this working. TIA.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...