DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Where is Cineform Codec in Vegas 9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/393433-where-cineform-codec-vegas-9-a.html)

Matthew Amirkhani September 13th, 2009 08:46 AM

Where is Cineform Codec in Vegas 9

Help guys,

I just got Vegas 9 and don't see cineform codec anymore I still have Vegas 8 on my system and use the cinefom on it but not see it on my Vegas 9.
How can I resolve the issue?

Thanks
Matthew

Perrone Ford September 13th, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Amirkhani (Post 1348361)
How can I resolve the issue?

You purchase Cineform. Problem solved!

Ian Stark September 13th, 2009 11:24 AM

Are you suggesting he has to buy another version of Cineform for Vegas 9 because the one he presumably already owns and uses in Vegas 8 won't work in v9?

John Cline September 13th, 2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1348794)
Are you suggesting he has to buy another version of Cineform for Vegas 9 because the one he presumably already owns and uses in Vegas 8 won't work in v9?

That is correct. Here is a response from David Newman from Cineform that addresses this issue:

"Unfortunately, Sony has not ungraded their CineForm license beyond the four-year-old version 2.8 they ship today. Even though there are no recurring royalties to CineForm we allowed users to upgrade their Sony license for free for about 2 years. But then changes to Vegas v9 and changes to the CineForm codec has made that more difficult. I even spent another two hours today looking for a simple solution, and there is none that wouldn't require costly engineering time. I wish users could just update the decoder, like we do with DirectShow, but unfortunately the Video for Windows tech that Vegas uses, the encoder and decoder are tightly linked -- can't upgrade one without the other. The original Sony license was of a 4:2:2 1440x1080 intermediate codec, with no quality controls. We no longer sell a product that has that codec, making it costly to reproduce that SKU. Even NEO Scene at $129, has a 1920x1080 codec, with quality controls, auto pulldown removal upon capture and batch conversion features for HDV and AVCHD sources. If you are needing a current CineForm encoder for Vegas that is an excellent deal.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm

Ian Stark September 13th, 2009 04:38 PM

Ouch . . . ! Thanks John, that makes it a lot clearer than just "buy it"! ;-)

Perrone Ford September 13th, 2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1349753)
Ouch . . . ! Thanks John, that makes it a lot clearer than just "buy it"! ;-)

I don't think it makes it any clearer at all. If the current Cineform would've worked, then the OP would have seen it in v9. The answer is very simple. You now need to buy it.

The why is another matter altogether and has been duly explained.

Ian Stark September 13th, 2009 05:50 PM

Er, thanks for the input Perrone but John's answer did make it clearer to me.

Perrone Ford September 13th, 2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1349966)
Er, thanks for the input Perrone but John's answer did make it clearer to me.

:) Excellent

Matthew Amirkhani September 13th, 2009 08:39 PM

Thanks John for making it very clear for me. Also going forward from now on got to look and search everything with Vegas before buying their products!!!!!!
What a waste of money!!!

Thanks
Matthew

Willard Hill September 14th, 2009 02:58 AM

I did purchase Neo Hdv sometime ago and when I upgraded to V9 I found Cineform was missing in the render as option. Checking further, I opened the render as tab, then selected render as avi. I then opened the custom tab and Cineform HD Codec V3.2.2 was listed as an option. One is further able to configure it as to encoding quality and video format.

I can also still open and play cineform files on the 9.0b timeline. I realize that I am talking about a slightly different aspect of the situation (a purchased version v.s. the previously included one )that was being discussed but am pointing out that even with Neo Hdv it was not immediately obvious that the codec was still present without some experimentation.