Where is Cineform Codec in Vegas 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Where is Cineform Codec in Vegas 9

Help guys,

I just got Vegas 9 and don't see cineform codec anymore I still have Vegas 8 on my system and use the cinefom on it but not see it on my Vegas 9.
How can I resolve the issue?

Thanks
Matthew
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Amirkhani View Post
How can I resolve the issue?
You purchase Cineform. Problem solved!
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Are you suggesting he has to buy another version of Cineform for Vegas 9 because the one he presumably already owns and uses in Vegas 8 won't work in v9?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Are you suggesting he has to buy another version of Cineform for Vegas 9 because the one he presumably already owns and uses in Vegas 8 won't work in v9?
That is correct. Here is a response from David Newman from Cineform that addresses this issue:

"Unfortunately, Sony has not ungraded their CineForm license beyond the four-year-old version 2.8 they ship today. Even though there are no recurring royalties to CineForm we allowed users to upgrade their Sony license for free for about 2 years. But then changes to Vegas v9 and changes to the CineForm codec has made that more difficult. I even spent another two hours today looking for a simple solution, and there is none that wouldn't require costly engineering time. I wish users could just update the decoder, like we do with DirectShow, but unfortunately the Video for Windows tech that Vegas uses, the encoder and decoder are tightly linked -- can't upgrade one without the other. The original Sony license was of a 4:2:2 1440x1080 intermediate codec, with no quality controls. We no longer sell a product that has that codec, making it costly to reproduce that SKU. Even NEO Scene at $129, has a 1920x1080 codec, with quality controls, auto pulldown removal upon capture and batch conversion features for HDV and AVCHD sources. If you are needing a current CineForm encoder for Vegas that is an excellent deal.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ouch . . . ! Thanks John, that makes it a lot clearer than just "buy it"! ;-)
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ouch . . . ! Thanks John, that makes it a lot clearer than just "buy it"! ;-)
I don't think it makes it any clearer at all. If the current Cineform would've worked, then the OP would have seen it in v9. The answer is very simple. You now need to buy it.

The why is another matter altogether and has been duly explained.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Er, thanks for the input Perrone but John's answer did make it clearer to me.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Er, thanks for the input Perrone but John's answer did make it clearer to me.
:) Excellent
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks John for making it very clear for me. Also going forward from now on got to look and search everything with Vegas before buying their products!!!!!!
What a waste of money!!!

Thanks
Matthew
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I did purchase Neo Hdv sometime ago and when I upgraded to V9 I found Cineform was missing in the render as option. Checking further, I opened the render as tab, then selected render as avi. I then opened the custom tab and Cineform HD Codec V3.2.2 was listed as an option. One is further able to configure it as to encoding quality and video format.

I can also still open and play cineform files on the 9.0b timeline. I realize that I am talking about a slightly different aspect of the situation (a purchased version v.s. the previously included one )that was being discussed but am pointing out that even with Neo Hdv it was not immediately obvious that the codec was still present without some experimentation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...