DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best way to move things in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/39823-best-way-move-things-vegas.html)

Glenn Gipson February 20th, 2005 09:01 AM

Best way to move things in Vegas

I hope this question makes sense….

What is the most efficient way to move everything on the time line, both sound and picture, either backwards or forwards when I want to inset/delete footage into the middle of my scene? Thanks.

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 09:21 AM

If you turn on auto ripple it will do this automatically for you.
Otherwise there is also a Vegas plugin available with which you
can select everything from the cursor on and then move it all
together.

Josh Bass February 20th, 2005 09:50 AM

Cause I feel like it, I'll chime in.

Rippling rules, but be careful. I have screwed up a project in literally a matter of seconds by forgetting to turn it off. I usually turn it on when I want to insert/delete something, and have everything move accordingly, and then try to turn it off again right after. Sure, you can just "undo" the changes that screw you, but nevertheless, I say turn it off when you don't need it.

Also, seems like most of the time you want to select the option to ripple all tracks, events, etc., so that EVERYTHING on your timeline moves, and not just the track you're actually. . .uh. . .operating on at the moment. Dig?

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 09:54 AM

Very good point Josh! I've had the same issue. Turn it on when
you need it, and then turn it off directly after you're done! <g>

Gary Kleiner February 20th, 2005 12:31 PM

>Turn it on when
you need it, and then turn it off directly after you're done<

That's why I NEVER use auto-ripple. Post-ripple is a lot safer.

Ctrl/F
Ctrl/Shift/F

Gary

Josh Bass February 20th, 2005 12:33 PM

Who is this post ripple you speak of? What does he do?

Edward Troxel February 20th, 2005 12:59 PM

I usually leave rippling turned off as it *can* create undesired results if you're not careful. Sometimes I'll use Post Ripple Editing but more often I'll select the desired events using the Select Events tool in Tsunami.

Edward Troxel February 20th, 2005 01:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Who is this post ripple you speak of? What does he do? -->>>

Basically, just doing the edit with ripple turned off remembers what rippling WOULD have done. You can then ripple after the fact by using variations of the "F" key. Do a search in the help file for "Post-Edit Ripple".

Press F after an edit to ripple the affected tracks, press Ctrl+F to also ripple markers, keyframes, and envelopes. To ripple everything after an edit, press Ctrl+Shift+F.

Patrick King February 20th, 2005 01:10 PM

Mr. Troxel, you're the best. I've been using Vegas for years and didn't know about Post-Ripple until you wrote about it here. I guess one of these days I'll have to actually READ that dang User Manual. Was this in one of your newsletters? I missed that one if it was. Thanks for participating in this board!

Edward Troxel February 20th, 2005 01:45 PM

I don't specifically recall discussing post ripple editing in the newsletter but may have mentioned it in passing - I'd have to look at them all. However, it IS very useful.

As Gary said, I never use ripple editing. Post Ripple is MUCH safer.

Gary Kleiner February 20th, 2005 09:32 PM

>Mr. Troxel, you're the best. I've been using Vegas for years and didn't know about Post-Ripple until you wrote about it here.<

Yes, Mr. Troxel is a super guy, however I am the one that first mentioned it in this thread.

But, who's keepin' score? :-)

Gary

Patrick King February 20th, 2005 10:08 PM

Gary,
Sorry man. You know I appreciate your participation in this forum also. In fact I'm looking at three of your instructional DVDs on the shelf above my computer. Was that covered in your DVD? I've been meaning to watch those again! I've found I learn about three ways from you marvelous Vegas training products. First I get an awareness of all Vegas can do. Then I use them to help me through my first use of a new feature I've not used before. Then I occasionally use them to intentionally make me stretch and use something I think I won't really use in my workflow. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I find I've been overlooking a jewel.

Thanks for all you, and Edward and others do to help us mere mortals.

Gary Kleiner February 21st, 2005 12:25 AM

Patrick,

Glad you like my Vegas Training.

Ripple editing is covered in the Vegas 5 Companion, Disc 2, chapter 31 (not that I rememberd that, just looked it up in the index).

Gary

Patrick King February 21st, 2005 07:46 AM

Gary,

I've been meaning to ask you about that. On your Vegas Video Editing (for Vegas 4.0) you included a 'Table of Contents' on the back cover of the insert which was VERY helpful. That let me stop what I was doing in Vegas, pop in your DVD and cue up the piece I wanted to review and go right to it.

Any chance I can talk you into posting a printable (PDF or Word) Table of Contents for you new series 'The Vegas 5 Companion'? The series is amazing in its depth, quality and completeness. But I would find it even more useful with a roadmap. If you already have a 'Table of Contents' in any form (full page or DVD insert size) it would be helpful.

Sorry for begging. I've enjoyed your product but sometimes find my self avoiding it because it takes so long to find which DVD I'm really lloking for.

Edward Troxel February 21st, 2005 08:22 AM

The complete index is posted on the website:

http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com...nion_index.pdf