E6 look with colour curves.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

E6 look with colour curves..

okies heres a good one..

Im trying to acheive an old photographic film trick called E6.. basically oversaturating colours and contrast without killing off the detail.

Now ive come close with the colour curves, REALLY CLOSE in fact.. but its still missing something.. i cant picture it.. it jsut doesnt feel right.. maybe its me.. maybe the actaul look doesnt go well with video... ?? who knows..

but does anyone know of a good setting to achieve this look??

if u need a hand in figuring out what im rambling about, just do a google search on E6 photography :)

thx in advance :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Major Player

This sounds really interesting, I made a post in Open DV about wanting to achieve the insane saturation of music vids (a la Who Let The Dogs Out, wonderful colours) and your description makes me think this could well be a step I should take.

Any chance you can put up some samples of your before and after shots (presuming you're starting off with decent quality natural video?) and the settings you used to obtain?

Thanks!

ps I tried to use google quickly, but couldn't find anything that went into detail about what E6 is and the differences it made, but I'm in work so can't really spend much time looking things up at the moment :)
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's a tip:

If you want help with something, don't make us work to find an example of what you are talking about.

Post an image or a link.

Gary
Gary Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

ooerr.. sorry.. i thought if anyone was intersted enough theyd do a search..not to help me, but to get an idea as to what E6 is all about...

for those that dont now, its a chemical pass of film into a Slide chemical, basically changing the films images colour values as teyre differ from Slides..
based on explosure, contrast and gamma values, the Slide E6 chemicals have an adverse effect on film which is normally process in C41 chemical compounds.
its basically a cross process..

here u go.

http://mag.weddingcentral.com.au/pho...phic_terms.htm
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Does look cool, can you take a screenshot of your curves so I can have a mess around myself? The site there does say it can be done digitally, so I don't see any reason why it won't work on video...
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

DID IT!!!
the curves are a little strange and to get it, the whites blow out a little too much.. still tryin to sort tha t issue out.. but it DOes wrk with colour curves on their own..
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #7
Trustee

If E6 refers to modern slide film, then it can not be done; E6 simply has a wider gamut than NTSC: http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index....SpaceInfo.html
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

somewhere cross processing is described as "when you take slide film (e6 processing)and process it as it is color print film (c41 processing)"

It sounds simple but someone with good knowledge of photography has to explain it in order to emulate the effect on DV.
Ahmet Ilhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

its basically an error in colour rendition and chemical composition of slide processing.. an error which looks quite funky ;)

obviously being DV, we wont get the exact same look, but with colour corves and a saturation adjustment, u can get quite close.. then again ur camera has to have the dynamic range (DVX100 in Cinema D mode, or DSR570 <i used footage from these cameras to test> I also tried it with the Z1. but it was too sharp in resolution and very "home video" to be of any use to me)
Anyways.. u need a a cam with a wide dynamic rang to be able to pull this off, else youll be left with a crummy lookin oversaturated pile of pixels..
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

keeping to topic... im gonan do some experimenting tonight with it and see if i can get something happening.. at the moment its lacking something.. i cant put my finger on it..
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Essentially, this is another effort to immitate a 'film look' like bleach bypass, or grain reticulation. I suppose someone could come up with a filter formula to emmulate it. Don't various companies make a 'bleach bypass' filter?

I recall in my early days at the photolab in Houston, accidentally running a roll of c41 through the e-6 bath. The client really liked the images, and I didn't tell him it was a mistake. (This was back in... '75)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Okay, I found it. www.digitalfilmtools.com has a digital film lab set of filters, that includes bleach bypass, and the E6 look. (I had a set of their digital composite tools, great stuff, but I lost access to them in an upgrade)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #13
Major Player

Magic Bullet offers this kinda stuff too, you can get a few film look filters free with Vegas (then upgrade for free on the website for a few more) but you'll have to buy Magic Bullet Editors for the lot.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com from memory
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

Just remember, Magic Bullet will increase render times dramatically!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #15
Wrangler

"Dramatically" doesn't quite say it....
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...