My Wish List for Vegas 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 26th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My Wish List for Vegas 6

Seeing as how Acid and Sound Forge have all been updated, it's safe to assume that Vegas 5.5/6 should be the next app coming out of Sony's gates (Plus the timeframe is about right, give or take a few months). Vegas is great as it is, but here are some things I'm really wishing for in the next version:

- Nested Timelines (or something similar, nestable Veg Files)
- Track Motion Presets (What happened to these anyway?)
- More Cusomizable interface (Like the option to make the window darker, a la Adobe After Effects & Premiere)
- Support for After Effects Filters (Yeah, I know you can if you buy Boris, but having it intergrated would be nice, like Final Cut Pro)
- Preview Window Resizing (Instead of snapping to certain percentages (like right now), having the ability to have the video scale to what ever size you want (like in Final Cut and Premiere)
- Star Wipe Transition (I'm serious! I actually needed one a few months ago, and had to make my own with a mask)

Also, for DVD Architect:
- Intergrated Menu Transitions (Even if they were really simple ones (fades, wipes, etc), it would be a great time saver as oppose to having to created an intermediate menu trasition video in a motion graphic app, or vegas)
- Dual Layer support would be cool

Any ideas from you guys?

PS:
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...suggestion.asp
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

- More Cusomizable interface (Like the option to make the window darker, a la Adobe After Effects & Premiere)

You already have this. Vegas supports XP "themes" allowing you to create many different looks for Vegas including "darker" ones.

- Star Wipe Transition (I'm serious! I actually needed one a few months ago, and had to make my own with a mask)

There ARE a couple of options related to this. For a bunch of the old-style "cheesy" transitions, you might want to check out Adorage. For a ton of transition flexibility, you might want to check out Pixelan.

Definitely send in suggestions. If they don't hear from the user's they don't what's most important to *us*.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

DVD Architect

1. Transitions (even if simple, like you mentioned,) are a must.
2. DL support is also a must.
3. Support for multiple video angles.
4. Support for more than one video file per video track.
5. Ability to export menu's and/or menu text as .PNG files for masks (I know this can be done in Vegas, but why shouldn't I be able to do this in the actual DVD authoring program).
6. Hook up with Cinema Craft or Canopus and include CCE SP or Procoder as the internal video encoder instead of the current encoder.
7. More button highlight options. The options right now are so simple. I want absolute craziness like "earthquake" to make the button shake when it is highlighted and stuff like that. I want to be able to do everything the big boys can do (well, everything except master the learning curve for Scenarist and pay for it).
8. More maneuvarability between links. Feel free to give me suggestions, but if I want button 3 to link to button 14 when the user hits the "up" button, then that is my decision. Never tell the customer what they want. JUst provide the help to make it happen.
9. More themes. Not five or ten more. Give me a couple dozen for all kinds of situations. And give me at least three for the big occasions (birthdays, weddings, etc.)
10. Do not change the interface. It is so intuitive, considering it is a semi-pro DVD authoring program. Add features, but do not mess with the GUI.
Barry Lajnwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Trustee

I would like to see

- Proper, scrubbing without affecting events. i.e. Click and drag on the timeline to scrub. They half implemented it, so you click once then click again on the timeline cursor and you can do it, but it's cumbersome to the point of being almost unusable.

- Some sort of decent media management.
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Support for After Effects Filters
Seconded! This is a matter of the utmost urgence; Vegas badly needs plug-in support.

I would also like better color correction tools (like Color Finesse... oh wait, it is an After Effects plug-in!) and the ability to output 5.1 sound tracks to separate WAV files.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd like to see motion tracking and the ability for it to track masks. This would be really useful for color correction, as you could isolate the color correction to one area even on panning shots.

Color Finesse: It's nice, but Vegas can do the same things. Vegas can also do things Color Finesse itself can't do.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : - More Cusomizable interface (Like the option to make the window darker, a la Adobe After Effects & Premiere)

You already have this. Vegas supports XP "themes" allowing you to create many different looks for Vegas including "darker" ones. -->>>

I realise this, but my point is to have an option to do it without effecting Windows on a global level
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Lajnwand : DVD Architect

8. More maneuvarability between links. Feel free to give me suggestions, but if I want button 3 to link to button 14 when the user hits the "up" button, then that is my decision. Never tell the customer what they want. JUst provide the help to make it happen. -->>>

DVD Architect can already do this. It is in the Menu Properties box under Button Properties / Navigation. From each button you can specify where the menu goes with each of the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons.
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
It's nice, but Vegas can do the same things.
Like perform corrections in HSL, CMY and YCbCr? What about automated color matching? I guess I am spoilt by Photoshop CS.

I also hate how Vegas' filters have no opacity setting. Instead, you have to filter a duplicate layer, and reduce its opacity. When you have a chain of filters, this is impractical.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kelvin Kelm : <<<-- Originally posted by Barry Lajnwand : DVD Architect

8. More maneuvarability between links. Feel free to give me suggestions, but if I want button 3 to link to button 14 when the user hits the "up" button, then that is my decision. Never tell the customer what they want. JUst provide the help to make it happen. -->>>

DVD Architect can already do this. It is in the Menu Properties box under Button Properties / Navigation. From each button you can specify where the menu goes with each of the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons. -->>>

For the most part that is correct, but I have run into several situations where DVDA will not allow me to do this. Essentially, the program forces what will be highlighted when the user moves left, right, up, down. I'm not sure if it is a program bug, but it needs to be corrected.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

For the most part that is correct, but I have run into several situations where DVDA will not allow me to do this. Essentially, the program forces what will be highlighted when the user moves left, right, up, down. I'm not sure if it is a program bug, but it needs to be corrected.

I have never run into a situation where I could not specify which button pressing an arrow should go to. Can you give me a list of steps to reproduce?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry, I didn't really keep tabs of the how and the when. Just dealt with it as it came. Only happened with three or four menus I could remember.

Essentially, DVDA wouldn't allow me to change the preset destination action for a particular button one direction (or perhaps two). I assumed that this was the case because of the location of the buttons.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Like perform corrections in HSL, CMY and YCbCr? What about automated color matching?
Do you ever find those things useful though?

Some of the things Color Finesse does would take a lot of button pushing in Vegas to duplicate. It looks like Vegas could do all of the things that Color Finesse can do. The only exception I guess would be cases where you want to do something extreme... look take saturation down -100 in color finesse. I don't ever see that being useful though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #14
Major Player

Re: My Wish List for Vegas 6

<<<-- Originally posted by Van Lam :

-->>>

Heh, isn't it Homer (Simpson) who loves the star wipe transition? If that isn't a reason to include one, I don't know what is!

I'd love to do a serious film and only use star wipes :D
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #15
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : Do you ever find those things useful though?-->>>
I guess it boils down to whether or not you use color as a creative element. If you merely want to white balance, then Vegas can do it. If you want to get fancy, Color Finesse beckons.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...