Vegas 5 and DivX incompability?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 and DivX incompability?!?

Hello everybody!!!
How can I let Vegas 5 recognize DivX ? When I try to load some clip in divx avi format on the Vegas 5 timeline, only the audio track is recognized. Otherwise, if I want to render out in divx avi format, Vegas 5 has no any problem, even with new DivX 5.21.
So, is there any way to put the video track from a clip in Vegas 5 timeline too, not only audio track?
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hello Plamen, welcome aboard DVInfo! This topic has been
discussed a couple of times already, I did a search and the
fifth result below yours was:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=39856

This points to a program you can use to convert the file. Most
NLE's cannot handle DiVX or XviD (properly), due to various
technical reasons. It isn't a good edit format either.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

divx.com + unrelated

1. I had a similar situation and installing the divx drivers from divx.com resolved it. My experience with vegas is that it takes everything I throw at it* as long as my system has the codec to play it.

2. I am glad to see another Bulgarian on this forum!

Dobre doshal - dvinfo.net e izkluchitelen resurs za pomosht i informacia v oblastta na video, zvuk, osvetlenie i editing software.

-- Andre

*with the exception of some asf files - is it possible that microsoft make the codec available only to its player and "hides" it from other apps?
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: divx.com + unrelated

Zdrasti Andre, kak e tam? :) Sega sum v BG no 4esto sum v Dubai.
Bi li mi obiasnil podrobno kak kara6 Vegasa da opoznae divx?
Po princip az vkarvam divx codeca i Vegasa go priema,no tova dava vazmojnost edinstveno da dam render kum avi divx, no NE i da vkaram avi divx v Vegasa! E,niakakvi idei? 4ao!!!
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Could we please stick to english?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Could we please stick to english? -->>>
Yes, I am sorry! It was a message to another bulgarian user here. The matter is about letting Vegas 5 read /recognize/ DivX files. He said there is a way, and I want to know the way. That is all!
Please for any suggestions and help about compability Vegas<>DivX.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM   #7

Vegas can use DivX, it's just a matter of getting the proper codecs loaded. The topic of DivX and XVid has literally been beat to death on every forum I visit. Simply searching for DivX should give you the necessary links.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=divx

Old March 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you for the links, Edward, but I have red that already. Actually, there is not any post which can aswer strictly how to load divx into Vegas 5 timeline for further editing! Any additional help,please,please,please???
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9

Did you follow these links in the middle thread?

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=292955

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=265713

Plus, you may want to do a search on "divx" there as well.
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you once again, Edward, but I am desperated. I tried everything described in the forums, and finally Vegas 5 doesn't open divx properly, only audio track. If you know the answer, just tell me: is ti possible or not? And if yes - HOW?
I have installed Dr.DivX,DivX v5.21/latest/!!!
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You might be able to use RAD video tools to convert your footage.
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
You may need to mess around with the settings and select the correct frame rate for converted video, as well as the right audio format. You might also have to convert the video in one pass and the audio in another.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:59 PM   #12
Major Player

Plamen, greetings from another bulgarian here :-)

Chestita Baba Marta!

Well, do you have many codecs installed on your machine? Sometimes things get messed up. For example in Windows Explorer's properties for certain file that I know is DivX encoded I've seen it is stated as Xvid and vise versa.
Clean up your codecs and try again. Check the project settings in Vegas from the start also (don't rely on auto detection).
I might run short test to see how it goes for me if you want.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bogdan Vaglarov : Plamen, greetings from another bulgarian here :-)

Chestita Baba Marta!

Well, do you have many codecs installed on your machine? Sometimes things get messed up. For example in Windows Explorer's properties for certain file that I know is DivX encoded I've seen it is stated as Xvid and vise versa.
Clean up your codecs and try again. Check the project settings in Vegas from the start also (don't rely on auto detection).
I might run short test to see how it goes for me if you want. -->>>
Zdravei, Bogdan!!!
So, I have the latest K-lite Mega Codec Pack installed - this is the best codec pack,I think!!! The reason youre talking about is not real. Everything with my codecs is OK. The problem between Vegas and DivX is discused in almost every Vegas forum around the world. And actually there is not any proper way about letting Vegas recognize DivX surely. Yes, Vegas CAN render out in divx, but CANNOT load it!!! That is the problem!!!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #14

Bottom line:

1) Vegas CAN render to DivX
2) Vegas CAN import DivX
3) You COULD have too many codecs installed!

Plus, I have seen recommendations to NOT install "codec packs" so that COULD be part of the problem as well.

Here's another thread for you to check out:
http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/dis...0102174422.htm
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Workaround

Plamen,

what I would do is try to convert the footage to usable codec using a 3rd party converter.

From your description it seems that there is an issue for Vegas understanding / communicating with the installed DivX codec.

Again, I would use a workaround and move on. Next time you install the OS (with windows this is inevitable), start with adding one DivX codec and trying it with Vegas.

My experience is that Vegas plays everything I throw at it. Recently used war footage from Archive.org which was in DivX so I am sure it works on my workstation.

Also, "Happy Baba Marta" to all! (Bulgarians celebrate the beauty and abundance of spring in March - "Baba Marta" & "Martenichka"s - it's one of many paganistic customs which sirvived the centuries of Orthodox Christian church)

Regards
-- Andre

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...