Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #301
Major Player

Thanks again!
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #302
Inner Circle

"Ok, here is a simpler question:

CCing with uncompressed footage will look no better then CCing with DV footage when both originated as DV anyway?"

it depends on how many passes you do..

personally i see no benefit from working uncompressed, unless im outputtin for a generic AVI which i can impport into any other app, like combustion or particle llusion
Also as your talking Vegas, you may be able to get away with skipping Colour correction altogether by using colour balance and secondary colour correction to sort out gamma, curves for a proper colour grading and then whatever else you want to include..

stay away from the Levels filter, as these can get noisy and juice up alot of render time..
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #303
New Boot

How should I do this?

I will be converting some 40 hours worth of Super 8 mm movies into DVDs for various persons-each person getting various versions from the many hundreds of scenes involved. Each roll of film is some 24 minutes long and will be captured direct to PC without tape. I would like to break up these big avi files into their component scenes each with it's own file name. Is this possible or the right thing to do or how should I go about this? I have Movie Studio 4.0. I would certainly not want to stop the projector for each scene in the telecine process for obvious reasons.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #304
Sponsor: JET DV

You could try capturing with Scenalyzer Live which has an optical scene detection option. Otherwise you'll need to split up the clips in post.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #305
Inner Circle

Raimo, to expand on Edward's post, there's an old version of Scenalyzer that may work for you. Go to http://www.scenalyzer.com/download.html and click on the "download the old freeware scenalyzer" link.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #306
Major Player

So I guess I will stick to DV then. My hard drives and I thank you.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #307
Inner Circle

Official reply from Sony on Vegas and Dual Core and Hyperthreading

I recently, several weeks ago wrote Sony asking them if Vegas took advantage of dual core and hyperthreading. Below is the entire exchange. (Read from the bottom up)

Date: 08/01/05 18:08:54
To: info@droptodesign.com
Subject: I am building and need two opinions [Incident: 050718-000011]

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
I am building and need two opinions

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Kathryn) - 08/01/2005 05:08 PM
Dear Mr. Davis,
Hello,

Thanks for writing. First off, allow me to apologize on behalf of the Media Software support department. The length of time it has taken to get this reply to you is simply unacceptable, and we take full responsibility for it. You see, our email communication system runs on a database, and a flaw in what is called a "workflow rule" caused your request for help to sit unassigned to an agent.
Now, on to the question at hand.
Yes, Vegas will allow you to take full advantage of hyperthreading and dual core technology.There is no difference between using Professional and Home XP.
Thank you for waiting.
You can either update this incident or give us a call to further discuss your questions. We are available from 9 AM to 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM to 5 PM Central Time, Monday-Friday: 1-800-577-6642.

Sincerely,

Katy T.
Customer Service Assistant
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704
http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
http://www.acidplanet.com

Response (Kathryn) - 07/18/2005 02:10 PM
Dear Mr. Davis,
Thank you for writing. Sony Pictures Digital has a company policy of not recommending specific hardware. We have business relationships with many different manufacturers and cannot show favoritism. For advice on hardware, we suggest you contact a Sony Pictures Digital dealer, many of whom also deal in pro audio/video hardware. If you need a referral to a dealer in your area, you can find a full list of domestic dealers and distributors here: http://www.mediasoftware.sonypicture...te/dealers.asp
As for the 64 bit system, Sony Media Software is not yet compatible with this system. I am sorry. Here is a list of minimum system requirements for you:

System Requirements
*******deleted this part for space**********

Thank you.
You can either update this incident or give us a call to further discuss your questions. We are available from 9 AM to 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM to 5 PM Central Time, Monday-Friday: 1-800-577-6642.

Sincerely,

Katy T.
Customer Service Assistant
Sony Media Software
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, WI 53704
http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
http://www.acidplanet.com

Message Acknowledgement - 07/18/2005 07:28 AM
Thank you for contacting Sony Media Software Support.

This message acknowledges receipt of your request for help. We will reply as soon as possible.

Customer (Steven Davis) - 07/18/2005 07:28 AM
First: I am considering the Matrox Millennium P650 PCIe 128 and wanted to know if this has been tested with Sony, is this a good match.

Second: I wanted to know if Vegas 5 or 6 would benefit from a dual core 64 bit system. And if the benchmarks for Vegas were better on the Intel child or the AMD 64bit x2. Since this machine will be for video editing only, I want to know what is best for Vegas 5 or 6, preferably I want to get the new Vegas suite.

Sincerely

Steven Davis
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #308
New Boot

Thank you gentlemen. Does a higher version of Vegas (That is to say, from Movie Studio 4.0 ) have these scene detection features I need for my telecine work?
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #309

No version of Vegas has optical scene detection.
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #310
Regular Crew

Hey Edward

I downloaded your filmlook script and now when I try to open Vegas my computer pops up my install wizard for the script. I can't open Vegas at all at this point...any idea what's going on????
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #311

Sounds like you've somehow changed your shortcut to point to the script install instead of Vegas. First of all, go to your Program Files\Sony\Vegas 6.0 folder and verify your Vegas60.exe file is still there. Assuming it is, make sure your shortcut points to that file. If, by chance, it is NOT there, just reinstall Vegas.
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #312
Sponsor: VASST

If you’re interested in Film Looks you might also want to check out Celluloid from VASST. It’s not free but its only $24.99 with a collection of 21 different film looks. It can render your footage to 24p, Convert 4:3 projects to 16:9 Widescreen, and can be expanded by adding new Film Look collections called ReelPaks by David Jimerson. There are a total 79 film looks in all 5 Reelpaks.

There is a 15-day fully functional free trial so you can try it on a project and see if you like it.

~jr
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #313
Regular Crew

I tired all these suggestions, nothing worked so I just did the work over again. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #314
Regular Crew

purple flickering line......

So when I rendered a project at 24p I get a flickering purple line at the bottom of the image (but at the top of the 16x9 letterbox).
Is this a camera problem or a render problem?
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #315
Wrangler

Still frames into video using Vegas 5

I'm wondering if there is any way to mass import still photos into a Vegas timeline as single frames.
Example - the following thread is about a video shot on a Canon 20d at 5fps then turned into video, using Vegas 5. I want to know if there is a fast way of doing this, or did the guy have to go frame by frame?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=15

Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...