Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #361
Major Player

in the render window, you wouldn't have 'render loop region only' checked would you?

sorry if you already thought of that
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #362
Regular Crew

About VCD Pal

Hello everybody!
I want to find a little answer about PAL VCD format. So, after rendering out in svcd pal or dvd pal, everything is ok on the TV set. But everytime after choosing pal vcd, then it has strobes on the TV set, especially if there is a camera motion scenes. During the time of rendering I see: "Project: 25,000p", i.e. progressive, right? In SVCD and DVD format I see: "Project: 25,000i", i.e. interlaced. So, my question is: is it possible to get VCD PAL 25,000i ??? If yes, how to do that? Our TV set standart is interlaced pal. So, any help, suggestions and corrections???
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #363
Trustee

Bill just so you know, I tried what has been suggested (change deinterlace from None to Blend or Interpolate, video seet to lower field in project, reduce flicker).
I don't have an option that I saw to set the event to blend in the properties. I tried right clicking and selecting properties, and only see lower field selecting (set to lower), playback speed both at 1, and frame rate I believe is the last one, I am not in front of my computer right now.

As I said earlier, I read a post on Sony's forum that someone mentioned that Pan Crop works differently than Track Motion and Pan Crop is best used for Pics and Track motion for Video. That may be true as Track Motion works fine with the video but now Pan Crop. BTW, when I make the picture larger in Pan Crop it looks more like interlace lines, but when I reduce the size, the lines look more pronounced and wavy.

Who knows whats going on. At least Track Motion works in my case.

Michael
LVProductions
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #364
Major Player

Yeah, that is correct.
You might need to double click on the loop region bar so that the loop thing can capture all your work because if it captures a small portion of your work, that is the only portion that will get rendered.

Or probably you might need to uninstal Vegas 6 and re-install.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #365
Regular Crew

VX2100 vs. GL2 Color correction help wanted.

I am new to the art of color correction, and need a little bump start.

Here is a screen shot from 2 camera's a GL2 & VX2100 (can you pick which is which?)

www.logiconn.com/ct/1.jpg
www.logiconn.com/ct/2.jpg

I would love to make them look a little more similar to one another, but simply have NO IDEA where to start. I farted around with a few filters, but just cannot get it to where I want it. Can anyone offer some advice or give it a whirl and offer appropriate setting details? (I use Vegas 5)

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Chris Thomas; August 19th, 2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #366
Inner Circle

Others will probably chime in with suggestions but here are 2 links to sites to hopefully get you started. I'm not certain if the info is repeated on both sites as it's the same guy who did both.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
http://bb-video.net/

Mike
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #367
Major Player

Is the second shot the GL2?
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #368
Inner Circle

A little info at:
http://www.glennchan.info/matching/matching.htm

#2 is a little cyan... white balance it. Use the color corrector. Take the eyedropper for the right wheel, drag-select over an area on the bride's dress where it's bright. Do the same for #1.

Use color curves and try to match the B/W part.

Then adjust saturation.

Then go in with secondary color correction and match key colors- the greenery and flesh tones.

That should get you close enough.
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #369
Regular Crew

I can't burn my movie onto DVD!

Can someone please help me?! I'm trying to burn my movie from Vegas 5 to DVD Architect 2, but Architect says that the event is bigger than the 4.7 Gigs on the DVD (around 6 Gigs.) Thing is, the film is 90 minutes long and I know that 4.7 Gig DVD's can hold a two-hour movie, so it's not the length. My film was shot with the Panasonic DVX 100A in 24P Widescreen Anamorphic, so it has a lot of pixels. What can I do to get it on DVD? Thank you in advance. Ruby
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #370
Major Player

I thought in the "prepare" part of the burning process, it recompresses everything so that it fits.

Have you rendered from Vegas 5 to a DVD Architect mpeg? And if so, how big is the file you are importing into DVDA?
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #371
Regular Crew

Yes, I rendered from Vegas as an mpeg2, as they instruct, but it's still too big (5.7 gigs.) Any ideas on what to do?
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #372
Inner Circle

You rendered it using the default bitrate of 8.0 which if using the PCM/WAV audio will make it too big. Plus the DVD won't actually hold 4.7 gigs PLUS DVDA is conservative in stating file size-so you're fighting 3 fronts BUT there is hope :-)

When you prepare the DVD there are messages that appear telling you if all is OK OR if there are certain things that you need to be aware of including the actually size of the mpeg you are trying to burn
For what its worth the first thing you might want to do is go back to vegas and render the AUDIO only as AC3. Be sure to use the same name for it as the name of the mpeg you rendered that way DVDA will see it and bring it in with the mpeg. AC3 is quite a bit smaller than the mpeg or PCM/WAV audio and that alone may bring it down to the right size. I do quite a number of projects that run well over 90 minutes and have no problem. I do 2 hours with the same ease using AC3 audio and the right bit rate. Remember the more you have the less the bitrate.
If you're not sure about bit rates then use the AC3 audio you rendered in Vegas and let DVDA render the mpeg and it will optimize it to fit the disc at the same time.
DVDA is a great program once you get the hang of it.
Check for Edward Troxels newsletter. Hes got a ton of info on using DVDA as well as a bit rate chart.

HTHs
Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; August 19th, 2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: left something out
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #373
Sponsor: JET DV

The newsletter Don is referring to is Vol 1 #7. You need to make sure your bitrate is proper for the length of the video when creating the MPEG2 file. There's a bitrate chart in that newsletter.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #374
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie McIntosh
I have editing a short video, and am trying to render it. The video is about 3 minutes, and done in HDV. I have tried to render it to avi and to wmv, but neither work. It just stops after 2 seconds and tells me the render is complete. When I click to play the files, it pops up an error message about downloading a codec. I just installed Vegas 6, and updated to 6b.

Am I missing something?
Yep... For WMV9 HD you need to download the WMV9 codec pack from Microsoft, and no doubt for the AVI you're missing the Cineform CFHD codec. You will probably need to go and get the Cineform ConnectHD demo...

I could explain some other work-arounds, but it'd take quite a while... and getting the correct codecs loaded will be easier for you.
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #375
Inner Circle

Ok, just played around with it. Better steps:

A- White balance. Pick white-ish, grey, and black areas on the image to match to. In this case, the highlight on the bride's dress, the shadow lower part of her dress, and the groom's pant leg.

B- In video output FX, add the B+W filter or the color corrector filter so you just look at brightness. In this case the two images are pretty matched.

C- Match saturation. It may help to copy one clip onto the clipboard, and then wipe between the two angles by dragging on the video preview window.

D- Match key colors with the secondary color correct.
1- Figure out which colors are key. In this case, I thought the flesh tones, green trees in background, and the bridemaids?'s dresses were important.
2- Add the secondary CC. Click-drag the eyedropper on an important area.
3- Check the mask by clicking show mask. It may help to disable the split screen view and/or change its mode.
4- Clean up the mask by dragging the smoothness sliders higher, and adjusting the parameters as necessary. If you toggle each limit lum/sat/hue, you can see which part need tweaking.
5- Once you've got the mask nice, turn off "show mask".
6- Use the split screen view, and drag-select an area of the other image which contains the key color.
7- Toggle the split screen view and look at the vectorscope. The vectorscope (under video scopes) plots color based on color. saturation is % and higher saturation get nearer the outer circles. Angle is hue angle.
8- In the secondary CC, the color wheel will affect color. Drag it around so that the moving blob on the vectorscope goes where it should. Then use the gain setting to get the color right (you can also use gamma, or offset which is less useful).
9- Rinse and repeat.

E- (optional) blur the higher resolution camera to match the lower resolution camera. In this case the camera are pretty close in resolution. I have a hard time telling.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...C1709T04K2UX5J
Download my .veg there

It doesn't look perfect, but you can shoot with two cameras and even they won't look perfectly matched if the iris is different (you can't really color correct it right [at least, I've never figured it out]).

Last edited by Glenn Chan; August 20th, 2005 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...