Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 25th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #466
Inner Circle

Dynamic Noise Reduction

I have done and extensive search for information on using Sony's Dynamic Noise Reduction but still need more information.

I assume that setting the threshold value to a lower number will cause the filter to perform more noise reduction. Is this correct?

I wish to use this filter to reduce the video noise generated due a very low light situation, and a high gain setting on the Canon Xl1s. Our video includes scenes of buildings that we set on fire for a movie. At first, there was very low light (high gain situation) and we had a lot of video noise. Later, as the fire burned brightly, we had enough light.

What are the trade-offs in using this filter? For example, if some of the events on a track have video noise, and others don't, and the filter is applied to the whole track, is there undesired consequences to the otherwise good video?

In general, what are the side-effects of using this filter?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #467
Regular Crew

newbie: adjust colors and contrast in .avi ?

I need to adjust the colors and contrast levels in 15 1-hr avi files, each with 10-20 scenes.

I have been using studio 9+, but after making adjustments scene-by-scene, there is a rendering error throughout, a deformation several pixels high and across the whole image, in the lower part of the images. Otherwise, usage was easy.

So before buying another software, I downloaded Vegas evaluation.

Can you provide some instructions for what I need to do?

I can open the avi, but the scenes are not detected... can I force Vegas to auto-detect the scenes, based on the time information within the avi?

How can I easily adjust the colors (mostly increase saturation) and contrast (mostly decrease contrast) scene-be-scene? (some scenes are in brigh sunlight, others are in shade or indoors, so all need slightly different adjustments, but within 1 scene there are no changes.)

I then need to regenerate the .avi (viewed on an LCD or with screen projector, from a computer)

Thanks in advance
Christophe
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #468
Regular Crew

Transition Problems

Hey All,

I am currently making a Music Video and I am having some problems with the transitions.

I am using the dissolve fade through black transition.

When I place the tranistion in, most of them time it gets placed in properly with a good amount of overlap. But sometimes it doesnt overlap and just sits on the clip where the cursor is, and then when I drag it to overlap, it completely alters the lenght of the clip bringing the end of the clip to the start.

What I was wonderng, is if there is anyway to just alter the transition instead of adjusting the lenght of the clip

Thanks in Advance
Scott
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #469
Regular Crew

Create the overlap first, then drop your transition on the overlap. If you don't need to see the transition dialog, hoild the shift key when you do this.

Gary
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #470
Regular Crew

Oh yep, I think it would be a wise idea in future to add transitions as I go along!

Thanks for the help Gary
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #471
Regular Crew

Playlist Question

Sorry about the new thread guys.

I am just wondering when I am saving the information, where abouts do I type in the name of the audio ( song ) so that it will come up down the bottom when playing Windows Media Player

Eg.
UBA High Risk Music Video
Jupiter
(c) UBA 2005
Playlist 1...Now, Instead of it saying that, I need it to say that name of the song.

Any help?
Scott
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #472
Sponsor: JET DV

I can open the avi, but the scenes are not detected... can I force Vegas to auto-detect the scenes, based on the time information within the avi?

You will have to manually find the scene changes, place the cursor there, and press "S" to split. When capturing, Vegas can capture each scene to a separate file.

How can I easily adjust the colors (mostly increase saturation) and contrast (mostly decrease contrast) scene-be-scene? (some scenes are in brigh sunlight, others are in shade or indoors, so all need slightly different adjustments, but within 1 scene there are no changes.)

Look at the Color Curves and Color Corrector effects. Simply drop them on the clips and adjust as needed.

I then need to regenerate the .avi (viewed on an LCD or with screen projector, from a computer)

File - Render As
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #473
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Render As - pick the WMV format, click on CUSTOM, and now look at the LAST tab. Fill in as needed.
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #474
Major Player

Problem connecting MAudio FIrewire 410

Everything LOOKS okay. When I plugged it in the first time I was not getting any sound, found I was plugged into 7/8 instead of 1/2. So I fixed that, then I fooled with it for a minute, turned 410 off and on, and then I was getting sound out of one speaker. Duh... I forgot to plug other speaker in. So I plugged other speaker in.

Now nothing works. When I select the Firewire 410 as the audio device in Vegas 5, I cannot even play the timeline. I start it and it just freezes on a single frame. When I switch back to Microsoft audio and onboard speakers, it works fine. I have rebooted everything, dropped and reconnected the 410, nothing seems to help.

M-audio driver 5.10.0.5009

Can someone please send me a clue, because I don't have one.
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #475
Old Boot

Chienworks and I are chatting LIVE over here . .

Anything Vegas! Or anything will do us!

http://www.vegasusers.com/chat/login

Seeyah there!

Grazie
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #476
Inner Circle

Are you talking about Mike Crash's free filter?

Too much dynamic noise reduction means that you'll pickup motion artifacts. On things with motion, there'll be a ghost/trailing effect.
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #477
Inner Circle

Dear Glenn,

I am speaking of the Sony Dynamic Noise Reduction filter that comes standard with Vegas 6.0. I believe that it comes standard with Vegas since I do not remember adding or downloading any filters or plug-ins.

The information on the filter states that it was copyrighted by Mike Crash in 2004.

When I click on the ?, no help file pops up for this filter.

This filter has one slider, a "Noise Threshold" and the standard position is about 1/3 of the way to the right. Moving the slider to the left reduces the value.
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #478
Major Player

Solved it. Firewire card issue.
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #479
Major Player

ELiminating "TS" speech defect

I tried and tried using track EQ to find the frequency where this sound is happening, but maybe there is a better tool for cleaning this up. I also really need teh track EQ for other things. The speaker has a "TS" that is very pronounced on words that begin with S. Listen to the sample.

http://www.VeniceDigitalVideo.com/audio/PaulSample.mp3

All help appreciated, one of the last issues before I am done with this project.
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #480
Regular Crew

Yep , I did one in Vegas , check my website and you will see one at the end of my promo video. It was my first so my second one will look a whole lot better :)

Be prepared for an entire evenig , well in my case it didn't help that I was dealing with a difficult font but I am pretty sure you will spend a great deal of time on this.

Just remember , when outlining your text with bezier point , be very generous with them , drop as many points as youy can , it will come in handy when you remove them later

See ya

www.production24fps.com/english.php

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...