Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #481
Regular Crew

OT , Pixelan with bezier event in Vegas

Hi all,

Don't know if it is OT but named it that way just to be sure.

Well I have an event in which I bezier out a gentleman , further on on the timeline he will move to the left of the screen and disappear. I want to use Pixelan for the dissolve but I only want it to affect the bezier section.

Any way to get it around so it behaves so?

Thanks

Phil

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #482
Regular Crew

Vegas5 & DVDA2 Do not recognize my DVD Writer

Hello,

I have upgraded to a new computer recently and now Vegas and DVDA do not recognize the new DVD Writer, it is a NEC 3520A, and windows/ windows medial player recognizes it. The operating system is winxp sp2, the system is an AMD A64 3200+ on a dfi Nf4 ultra motherboard. Vegas is running fine, it just has a blank pull down box when i try to extract from CD. Same issue for DVDA when trying to burn a DVD.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #483
Inner Circle

The biggest problem is that Sony has always been painfully slow at upgrading DVDA's burner capabilities. I think you'll find that most folks (myself included) use DVDA to prepare the file but use another app (Nero, RecordNow, etc.) to do the actual burning.

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #484
Regular Crew

Thanks,

But I have the same recognition problem in Vegas when trying to grab music from a CD. Seems like it just doesn't recognize the hardware in either program.
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #485
Major Player

One way to fix this is to get Sony's Sound Forge. This is a really pro application that is nicely integrated with Vegas. It has every manner of filter and equalizer that you could want. It will fix your problem. The down-side is that it costs about $150 to $200, but I've found it to be worth the price, as getting really professional sounding audio is important to me.
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #486
Major Player

60i in 24p timeline for smooth slow motion - settings questions!

I have searched my butt off and found partial answers here, on dvxuser.com, and in Barry Green's book/DVD, but I have some specific questions.

I'm making my movies to be watched on NTSC TV's from a DVD. I'm using Vegas 6.0, and I'm shooting 24PA most of the time.

1) By "24p timeline," do people mean I should be starting with Template set to NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps)? Or should I be starting in a NTSC Standard (or NTSC DV??) 720x486, 29.970 fps and changing the frame rate to 24.000 fps or perhaps 23.976 fps??

2) Do I set deinterlace method to Blend or Interpolate? (or 'None'? though that seems wrong)

3) Do I set it to deinterlace upper or lower field first - and why does it matter? (Or do I leave it at none/progressive, though that seems wrong... ?)

Thanks, hope this helps out more people than just me!
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #487
Inner Circle

Sorry Matt. I missed that part in your original post.
The only time I 've seen what you're experiencing is when someone didn't have full administrator rights on the computer. Just taking a stab in the dark but could that be the case here?

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #488
Inner Circle

If you have Vegas 6, it supports something called VST plug-ins. There's a free de-esser (the audio term for the problem you're having) for download at http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5
called Spitfish. Hope it helps you.

Mike
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #489
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward,

However, I filled in everything in those spaces and it is the following
Clip:UBA High Risk Music Video
Author: UBA
Copyright: Jupiter 2005
Playlist: Playlist 1

I need somewhere to write the name of the song which is Mudvayne- Not falling but I can't find it.
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #490
Inner Circle

Video you put into Vegas can be:
interlaced (upper field first, AKA odd) -
interlaced (lower field first, AKA even) - i.e. DV; the lower field should be displayed before the upper field.
progressive

2- Let's say your Vegas project is set to progressive, because you want to make stuff for the web (progressive is correct for audiences viewing on computers).

Suppose you bring in footage shot on DV. Vegas will usually see that the footage is lower field first.

Vegas will want to de-interlace that DV footage so it matches the project settings. The de-interlace method is something you can set. Blend fields blends both fields together; interpolate discards one field and uses the other to make the progressive image; none makes Vegas not de-interlace the footage.

None is appropriate if you want to use Mike Crash's excellent de-interlace filter instead of Vegas' de-interlacing. Mike Crash's filter gives the most resolution.

Does that make sense?
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #491
Inner Circle

Dan: Not really sure if Vegas 6 installs it by default. I don't think it's worth worrying about anyways.

If anyone doesn't have it, they can google mike crash's website.

I believe the filter is donationware, so that could be a problem if Sony is adding their name onto it and not telling people that donations to mike crash would be appreciated.

2- Try cranking the filter to 30. You should see motion artifacts appear where there's motion. It's that ghosting/trailing effect.
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #492
Major Player

Cool, that makes sense, thanks!

What about question 1 though? :)
about which Template and possibly frame rate to use to get smooth slow motion from 60i footage:

<<I'm making my movies to be watched on NTSC TV's from a DVD. I'm using Vegas 6.0, and I'm shooting 24PA most of the time.

1) By "24p timeline," do people mean I should be starting with Template set to NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps)? Or should I be starting in a NTSC Standard (or NTSC DV??) 720x486, 29.970 fps and changing the frame rate to 24.000 fps or perhaps 23.976 fps??>>

Thanks all
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #493
Sponsor: JET DV

Here is where you can find Mike's plugin:

http://mikecrash.wz.cz/

This plugin does NOT come standard in Vegas.
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #494
Regular Crew

I use SF for audio, too, and it integrates nicely into Vegas. But doesn't Vegas have the "Multiband Dynamics" audio filter installed with it? If so, it has a good de-esser preset. Maybe this is something that was installed with SF, I'm not sure.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #495
Inner Circle

Dear Glenn and Edward,

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I am using Mike Crash's plug-in. Sorry, but I just did not remember downloading Mike Crash's Dynamic Noise Reduction plug-in. After some research, I did discover that I downloaded the plug-in from Mike Crash's website.

Here are the results of my experience. I was really pressed for time and needed to remove the video noise for some of the scenes.

1. I had the entire moive on one timeline (one video and one audio track). I used the track fx to select Sony's Dynamic Noise Reduction, with a threshold value of 0. This eliminated a lot of the video noise. I rendered this to an AVI file.

2. I opened the AVI from Step 1 and applied the Dynamic Noise Reduction again (with a threshold value of 0). This second step worked wonders.

I assume that I have some side-effects from performing Steps 1 and 2, but I can find them if they exist. I do not have any visible ghosting or smearing.

I realize that it would have been better and safer to just apply the filter to the scenes that had the problem, but I did not have the time to do this on a scene by scene basis. The results were great.

We had the World Premiere of our movie, The Battle of Aiken, last night. The movie was well received, but we had a very friendly audience.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...