Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #616
Sponsor: JET DV

Pick AVI as the file type and UNCOMPRESSED as the preset. Now click on "Custom" and make sure the include alpha channel box is checked. Then you should be good to go.
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #617
Major Player

Don, that 50% is awfully low.. were they techy friends or just normal people? The NTSC playback on PAL hardware is often as much to do with the setup and cabling of the gear.. if you've got the dvd player setup wrong and you're using yicky composite cabling, then it'll appear in black and white.. so many people think "oh, nevermind" without realising all you need is a fully wired SCART connector, and you'll get perfect playback.

Its been a long, long time since i've seen a setup at anybodies house that isn't capable of playing an NTSC disc, and not very many that won't do it "as is" (ie i've not had to do anything to get it working properly.)
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #618
Regular Crew

help with zoom in

Thanks in advance....
My situation is the photographer on a wedding shoot I did was standing in front of my stationary cam. I need to zoom in on the video clip to get her out of the frame.
I did a zoom but preview shows lose of detail. Is this regular or once I render it would be ok.

What would you do in this case?

Thanks again!!!
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #619

If you zoom in on video and output to the original size (i.e. zoom in on a DV frame and then output DV), you WILL get a loss of resolution. You can zoom in a little without it being over noticable (say maybe around 10%).
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #620
Regular Crew

thanks Edward..
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #621
New Boot

How do i take a screenshot?

Hi all... this must be such a simple question that no one asks it... i can't find an answer ANYWHERE on google, and just TRY searching for "screenshot" here!!

I'm wondering how i take a nice res screenshot using Vegas 4? I have a frame from DV video that i really want to use as the menu to a DVD i'm creating, but i can't get just that frame. I've tried everything that someone who doesn't know what they are doing would try. I've tried rendering repeats of just that frame as different kinds of mpeg2 video and it still looks like 2 oscilating frames on the TV. How do i get just 1 frame? (and also, would i have to get 2 frames and deinterlace them together??)
Thanks so much,
matt
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #622
New Boot

Ok, figured it out.
For anyone as dumb as me, there was just a "save screenshot" icon in the preview screen area. Saved it, opened it in Photoshop 7 and used filter>video>deinterlace to clean it up. Applied it as the menu, and everything works great now.
Sorry for the dumb question.
matt
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #623
Major Player

I can't remember if the preview quality effects the quality of the screen grab but it might be something worth checking just in case. I think I remember getting a better picture when it was set to best.
Old September 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #624

The preview quality affects both quality and size. I always change to Best (Full) before taking a snapshot (actually, I just use a script for taking the snapshots which will set all settings for max quality and then reset them back to the original settings when done). I talk a lot about snapshots in Vol 1 #5 of my newsletters.
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #625
Major Player

DVDA and volumes

I found the thread that says DVDA does not allow you to adjust audio volumes. But that was version 2. I still have not installed version 3, but could do so if this would solve my problem.

I have a bunch of different videos and some music I am compling into a demo DVD. Most of my projects all have equal audio levels, but the DVDA menu background music is always much louder. Is there any way to balance all of these, short of exporting the music tracks into SF or Vegas and rerendering at a lower volume level? That's pretty ugly IMHO.

Did version 3 address this? Any other ideas or tricks?
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #626
New Boot

VEGAS 6.0b installation Hassles

hi everyone, newbie here.

yesterday i finally installed my vegas 6 but during the installation it wanted me to install the .NET Framework 1.1 service pack 1 (i have .NET Framework 1.1 already installed) so the installation cancelled, and the web browser took me to the microsoft page to install the sp1.
i did that and started the installation again, let it run, i opened vegas 6 onto my desktop and everything seemed ok with vegas, but when i attempted to play my games on my pc, not one would play, error after error all relating to my graphics (need to enable 3D effects, your card is unable to run this game etc etc) so i went to my omega graphics control panel and everything was gone, only had 4 tabs left from the 12 i normally have with the omega drivers (run a saphire 9500 pro card)
i reinstalled the omega drivers, still no good so i uninstalled vegas 6 and did a system restore back to the previous day and all was good, back to normal.
i then reinstalled vegas, it asked me to install the framework 1.1 sp1 again, i did it again and bang, no games again, so uninstalled, redid my omega drivers and system restore and now ok again, so unless i can resolve this mess, ill stick with power director 4 for now.
why does it want the .NET Framework 1.1 sp1 installed for this software, i never needed it before. im not sure if it is that sp1 causing the problem, but appears it must be, or maybe its just the program itself, i dont know but i won reinstall that sp1 again if its not required.
my system is win xp pro +sp2

has anyone got any idea why this is happening, any help will be appreciated.

cheers......GLEN
Old September 12th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #627
Regular Crew

Toolbar troubles

Pretty n00b question I guess, but I mucked up how everything is set up, is there a way to reset everything to default?

For example, instead of the mixer and preview window being side by side, only one is visible with the other only being brought up when I click the tab at the bottom, how do I reverse what I just did?
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #628
New Boot

Architect Help

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area. This is my first post on this forum. I have and have been using using Sony vegas 5 and DVD architect 2. I only know how to use Vegas on a moderate level and love it. I learn something every day. Ok now that my videos have progressed from the web I need to put them on DVD. Well what a task. I am trying to create menus in DVD architect and here is my question.

When I create them every thing has like this brown mask on it. EX: If I have an image on top of a standard background when you preview it there is a brown mask or something covering it. Now when you click on it, it goes away and then the video plays. I am sure this is a simple fix but this is my first time using Architect.

Thanks, Jason
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #629
Major Player

That is teh highlight so that you can see what option would be selected with a click of teh remote. You can change those colors in properties.
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #630

You simply undock the mixer and then redock it into the proper location.

If you simply want to "Reset" Vegas, hold down CTRL-SHIFT and then START Vegas. Now ALL settings will be reverted back to factory defaults (including the ones you possibly DID want changed)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...