Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #736
Regular Crew

Smart Deinterlace: Virtualdub good, Vegas not so good

Smart deinterlace settings used in both Vdub and Vegas:
------------------------------------------------------
frame and field diff
cubic interpolate
motion map denoising
motion thres 5
scene change thres 5

Vdub does a great job.

But Vegas (6b) produces much worse results, thick interlace lines. Maybe there's something I'm overlooking in Vegas?

Thanks!
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #737
Sponsor: JET DV

Have you tried the "Smart Deinterlace" plugin found here?: http://mikecrash.wz.cz/vegas/vegas.htm
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #738
Regular Crew

I downloaded Vasst Gearshift to have a try. Quite nice to edit the avi file.

But when I try to convert one hour m2t file into avi file (NTSC widescreen), I ran out of harddisk space. It took 55GB to convet 8 minutes m2t video to avi format. I don't have enough disk space for one hour footage. Did I do it wrong?
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #739
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Robert
...It took 55GB to convet 8 minutes m2t video to avi format. ...Did I do it wrong?
Something is definitely wrong. Are you sure you were only making the NTSC Widescreen proxy? This DV proxy is only 13GB/hr so 8 minutes would only take about 1.7GB.

What I bet happened is that you also have an intermediate codec selected in the 4:2:2 YUV section (the second dropdown). These files can be quite large. Make sure the second dropdown says (None). This way only the DV proxy is created.

If this is the case, you can recover by deleting the 4:2:2 AVI files that GearShift created that don’t have "GSProxy-" in front of the name (keeping the GSProxy-xxx.avi ones because these are the NTSC Widescreen proxies). As long as the GSProxy files and M2T files are in the same directory, everything should work fine.

~jr
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #740
Major Player

When you use Smart Deinterlace (Crash's) in Vegas, remember to set deinterlace to NONE and fields to PROGRESSIVE in project settings, then use the FX plugin to do the delace in the events/tracks/timeline -- otherwise, it won't do what you want.
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #741
Regular Crew

Ed, that's the one I'm using with Vegas, maybe I'm using an older version. I will download it again. I have a feeling the plugin may not have been ported perfectly to Vegas and so it yields different results, I could be wrong.

Bill, I did that, but maybe I'll try it again.

Perhaps it has something to do with how Vdub saves the deinterlaced files to uncompressed, while the files are saved compressed in Vegas? I don't think so though.

Thanks, guys!
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #742
Regular Crew

24P with Sony

Hey guys,

I been using my Sony DSR-11 to capture video. Lately ive been shooting a lot with a DVX100. I'm having problems exporting back out to the DSR-11 at 24P. It just won't let me do it. Is this a problem with the deck itself or a setting in Vegas. It seems to import fine at 24p. I've already upgraded to 6.0C. No change.

Thanks,

Greg
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #743
Regular Crew

Creating AVID mov file from Vegas

I'm trying to render an mov file with the Avid codec so I can pass my video to my partner who edits in Avid. I've done this before but it's no longer working. I have the Avid codec on my computer in the System32 folder and then when I "render as", I choose "Quick Time.mov" and then I should be able to choose a video format of Avid DV - but it's not showing up. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #744
New Boot

Jumpy preview and not recording good either

I am having a problem and was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions.

Preview (using Canopus ADVC with a monitor) while editing has been black and white when it should have been color - but not consistently. Sometimes the monitor would show color. I thought this was just a preview issue.

I tried "PRINT VIDEO TO TAPE" to a VCR to see if the problem was real - and the video tape also has the problem - jumpy picture - mostly black and white, really poor quality and jumpy audio. I rendered the project to a single AVI before attempting to do this - is that my problem? I copied the AVI to another PC and viewed it with Windows Media Player and it plays in all color - audio sounds good, but the images still jump (especially the jpeg images that are part of the project).

Last edited by Frank Delucia; September 26th, 2005 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Bad title
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #745
Inner Circle

Just send your Avid partner a quicktime file. He will import that into avid, and can cut it there.
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #746
Major Player

there is an option in the vegas preferences to ignore 3rd party codecs.
Make sure that hasn't changed.

....ok... I had a look in vegas....
drop down menu "options"
"preferences"
under the general tab you'll see a list "general preferences"
uncheck "ignore thrid party dv codecs"
it's about half way down the list

if it's not that, then I'm lost
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #747
Regular Crew

Man, I was sure it was that preferences option because "Ignore 3rd party codecs" was checked. But it didn't work. This is so strange because I used to get the Avid DV choice in the drop down. Thanks for the advice though. I'll have to see if he can just use the quicktime file.
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #748
Inner Circle

Jeff, the Avid option doesn't show up in the "template" window under the "Save as type" box. To get it, you select mov and then go "Custom - Video - Video format - Avid ***.
Apologies if you've already tried this.

Mike
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #749
Sponsor: JET DV

Some things to check:

1) DIP switches on ADVC are correct (i.e. PAL vs NTSC)
2) maybe try a different firewire cable
3) Make sure any unnecessary programs aren't running on the PC
4) Try turning OFF "Networking" on the firewire connection
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #750
Regular Crew

Mike,

Yes, I'm going to custom / video and looking for Avid DV. Thanks though.

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...